PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite "undiscovered" artist?

Kyle
2006-03-02, 09:30
One of the music joys for me is finding artists that others don't know about and then sharing them with friends. I mentioned Eva Cassidy in another thread. John Hiatt is another relative unknown in my collection with a great music catalog. Who are some artists that you have discovered and impressed your friends with your find?

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-02, 10:06
Daniel Lanois is a guy who mainly produces albums for others. He's produced U2, Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, etc.

He does his own music, but only releases an album every 5-10 years.

Check out "Shine" and "Acadie". They're both brilliant, beautiful albums.

coldslabs
2006-03-02, 11:41
Corrina Repp
Local artist (for me). Liked her from the first listen.

BIO
http://www.hushrecords.com/repp.html

SAMPLE TRACK
http://hushrecordsmedia.com/hushradio/upstairs.mp3

-----------

"Corrina Repp brought a tape with her when I met her. In 1998 I was looking to record the best female voices in Portland. Within seconds I knew that I wanted to work with her. The song was recorded on her four track and it had an well placed casio drumbeat on it, if there ever was one. It was "The Fire of St Jude", one of the high points of her debut CD, A Boat Balled Hope.

I remember sitting at the top of the stairs and talking about how niether of us really knew what was going on in the 'scene' and how we both went to our parents house for dinner.

There hasn't been an easier person to record than Repp. I mostly just drew pictures and read books while she tracked. It made us both comfortable to be working on something simultaneously, I suppose. I loved it. It was like being serenaded.

-Chad Crouch 2002"

TCM
2006-03-02, 11:51
I'll begin with The Blue Nile.

http://www.the-blue-nile.com/
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=BLUE|NILE&uid=MIW060603021337&sql=11:41y67uw0h0jd~T0
http://www.altsounds.com/altsounds/bands/2624/

They make extremely beautiful music, I just love them. Should also appeal to the audiophile section of Squeezebox users with their connection to Linn (http://www.linn.co.uk/) :-D.

Jez
2006-03-02, 12:18
Most of my 'hidden gems' seem to be artists who have disappeared for various reasons . . the 'kiss of career death' seems to be a connecting factor!

Dr Phibes and The House Of Wax Equations - stunning psychedelic rock out of Liverpool (I think) in the 90's. Imagine Jimi fronting 'Piper'-period Floyd and you're on the way. Their first self-released album, Whirlpool, is a gem . . .never far from my favourites list.

Red Temple Spirits - Don't know much about this lot. I think they were LA-based in the late 80's. Released 2 albums ('Dancing to restore an eclipsed moon' and 'If tomorrow I were leaving for lhasa, I wouldn't stay another day') of pagan, psychedelic rock. They always sounded to me like the house band in the vampires' cave from 'The Lost Boys'.

There's more but I'll leave you with those 2 for now.

Kyle
2006-03-02, 12:30
They always sounded to me like the house band in the vampires' cave from 'The Lost Boys'.
I don't remember a band in the cave, just the band at the amusement park on the water with a pumped-up sax player.

Jez
2006-03-02, 13:48
I don't remember a band in the cave, just the band at the amusement park on the water with a pumped-up sax player.

I don;t think there was a band . . it was meant more as a concept . . if there had been a band it probably would/should have been the Red Temple Spirits!

CardinalFang
2006-03-02, 13:51
But extremey talented.

Tommy Emmanuel, he can be a bit easy-listening, but he is by far the most talented finger style guitarist in the world today. Antonio Fortione is pretty good too. Eric Bibb is also a lovely acoustic blues singer/songwriter.

The Persuasions are an acapella group that do fantastic arrangements of Motown songs - and even Frank Zappa songs too (he loved them and helped them out a lot).

Scritti Politti aren't unknown, but the production is stunning on their/his albums. It ranges from 80's style electro-pop to more modern rap.

That's just a few to start with!

Paul

TCM
2006-03-02, 14:08
Scritti Politti aren't unknown, but the production is stunning on their/his albums. It ranges from 80's style electro-pop to more modern rap.

Paul

This thread is just getting better. Scritti Politti is an old favorite band from my pre-cd period. Cupid & Psyche 85 is a great album, but I only have it on lp and I had forgotten about them - I have to update my cd-collection.

nelamvr6
2006-03-02, 14:55
Well since these guys have both indy label releases and major label releases it's hard to call them "undiscovered", but they are relatively unknown and I like them a lot: the band is called Hammerbox. Their Numb album is really one of my favorite albums of the nineties.

JJZolx
2006-03-02, 15:20
Four Year Bender out in the Bay area. I think I might even have discovered them on RadioIO playing on the Squeezebox.

http://www.fouryearbender.com

CardinalFang
2006-03-02, 15:39
This thread is just getting better. Scritti Politti is an old favorite band from my pre-cd period. Cupid & Psyche 85 is a great album, but I only have it on lp and I had forgotten about them - I have to update my cd-collection.

Green (who is essentially Scritti) has a new CD out later this month I believe. He's playing gigs again and I think there's some video around of his new single.

I also have the Blue Nile CDs, great listening.

sleepysurf
2006-03-02, 16:10
Check out Xavier Rudd (www.xavierrudd.com)... Australian surfer/musician... slide guitar, drums, harmonica, digeridoo, and vocals (often playing many simultaneously). Sounds like a cross between Jimmy Buffett and Bob Marley. Very cool sound.

eq72521
2006-03-03, 10:13
I liked Death Cab For Cutie back when they were a little Bellingham band, but these days they're huge, and IMO their music has suffered for, or at least along with, it.

The Fire Theft is I think a little known reincarnation of Sunny Day Real Estate. Their singular 1994 self titled release is excellent. Alt. Rock with some serious Led Zeppelin influence.

coops
2006-03-03, 12:15
I would have to say, ME.

Jez
2006-03-03, 16:48
Ry Cooder and V M Bhatt on "A Meeting of the Rivers" - particularly the track Ganges Delta Blues. Basically Ry Cooder playing bottleneck slide blues with Indian musician V M Bhatt playing his own sitar-like instrument. It's amazing and proves the blues are international!

Bark Psychosis on the album "Hex". Gloriously moody and downbeat electronic music, think Portishead tackling Kind of Blue . . sort of. The recent release (Codename Dustsuccker, I think) hasn't had the same impact on me yet.

TCM
2006-03-04, 02:21
Not really undiscovered in Sweden, but probably abroad:

Spånka nkpg, from my hometown (well, former hometown) of Norrköping, Sweden. Really catchy, dancefriendly house music.

http://www.envis.se/

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-04, 12:24
Definitely The Tragically Hip.

Largely unknown outside Canada.

ezkcdude
2006-03-04, 15:09
Definitely The Tragically Hip.

Largely unknown outside Canada.

Funny you say that. I had a friend in grad school who may have been their biggest fan outside of Canada; this was in Missouri. I had never heard of them before that.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-04, 15:19
Funny you say that. I had a friend in grad school who may have been their biggest fan outside of Canada; this was in Missouri. I had never heard of them before that.

They are generally classified as "alternative" outside here.

Slightly similar to R.E.M., but much, much darker and more complex lyrics, also some seriously rockin' tunes.

twylie
2006-03-05, 19:02
David Ryan Harris - Atlanta based singer/songwriter/guitarist that fronted Brand New Immortals for two albums then went off on his own. Lives?/Plays around L.A. from time to time and does shows back in Atlanta on occasion. Mesmerizing voice and great lyricist.

Not unknown, but lesser known - Joe Henry's Shuffletown.

Edit:
Lots of David Ryan Harris shows on archive.org, including FLAC files. Audience recordings, but good enough to give you a tast of his style.

Tracks to check out:
King for a Day (first track I heard from him)
Turn Around

wr420
2006-03-05, 23:30
Obviously a trick question.
However I will let you know after it is discovered:)

gusi
2006-03-06, 02:07
I quite like the Singapore Jazz singer Umi. Her "The way we were" album is one of the best recordings I own. It is mastered without any compression dunno if that made the difference but it sounds great.

Perth's own (sadly defunct) Dude Ranch has an excellent album out, it is a mix of zydeco and country and a great album.

Cassandra Wilson is well known in jazz circles but less well known in the main stream. New Moon Daughter is my favourite, very bluesy.

Blue Note has asked a swag of modern DJs to make compilations of their catalogue. They are not remixed like the verve compilations and an excellent way to explore jazz and soul on a budget.

Gus

John Stimson
2006-03-06, 16:26
They are generally classified as "alternative" outside here.What you have to realize is that "alternative" music is really the mainstream among Americans under 40 years old. I've heard of or seen reference to The Tragically Hip numerous times and I'm not particularly interested in the "alternative/indie" scene.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-06, 17:43
What you have to realize is that "alternative" music is really the mainstream among Americans under 40 years old. I've heard of or seen reference to The Tragically Hip numerous times and I'm not particularly interested in the "alternative/indie" scene.

I wouldn't classify them as alternative myself, personally, but no, they are not that popular outside of this country.

The music industry likes to pigeonhole and classify, despite what the artists themselves want.

Before you dismiss them outright, I suggest you listen to three of their songs first. Sounds like you're saying: "I don't like vegetables, and tomatoes are a vegetable, therefore I don't like tomatoes even though I've never tried them."

deepblu
2006-03-06, 17:47
http://cookinglouisiana.com/Articles/Tomatoes-Veg-or-Fruit.htm

nicktf
2006-03-07, 00:34
...I don't think enough people know about Richard Thompson yet...

fruajaguar
2006-03-07, 09:47
Christine Collister: Big, emotional, seductive voice. Five albums as a duo with Clive Gregson. Some years in the Richard Thompson Band. Seven solo albums since. British readers may remember her singing the theme song to BBC series "lives and loves of a she devil". You could start with her ""Songbird" compilation but you'd have to get it on eBay. WWW.christinecollister.com

Jackie Leven:The ex frontman of Doll by Doll has produced 10 official studio albums since 1996, and a larger number of unofficial or semiofficial releases. A sort of Celtic soul; like a lost, confrontational Van Morrison combined with Scott Walker, Elvis and a Scottish Bruce Springsteen. Great voice, great guitar, complex, layered arrangements, dark themes. Start with "The Mystery of Love Is Greater Than the Mystery of Death" or "Forbidden Songs of the Dying West" or "Fairy Tales for Hard Men". www.JackieLeven.com.
The Doll by Doll albums may be rereleased later this year.

Kevin Coyne: over 40 albums in a career that dates back to the sixties, plus a seemingly inexhaustible supply of live material from the Kevin Coyne Yahoo group. Eccentric, outraged, emotional and compassionate a shambling knight errant from Derby. Electra offered him Jim Morrison's job in the Doors. Apparently he was Richard Branson's favourite artist (and found a home on the Virgin label for a while) John Peel championed him throughout, and released his first two albums on Dandelion. Unfortunately, the best two albums to start with are the only two that have not made it onto CD: these are "Blame It on the Night" and "Beautiful Extremes Etc". Otherwise, I'd try "The Peel Sessions" or one of the various compilations. www.Kevincoyne.de

John Stimson
2006-03-08, 12:28
Sounds like you're saying: "I don't like vegetables, and tomatoes are a vegetable, therefore I don't like tomatoes even though I've never tried them."I don't have any idea where you got that. I was just saying that I don't think they qualify as "undiscovered" since I seem to see their name a lot even though I'm not looking for it. Also that being labelled "alternative" in the US doesn't mean that they're unknown. Alternative is the new pop. I did not speculate in any way about whether I would like their music.

abdomen
2006-03-08, 15:25
http://www.jimwhite.net/reviews.htm

zano65
2006-03-09, 15:12
I agree totally on Kevin Coyne whom i discovered with the fantastic "Marjory Razorblade", "Blame it on the night" is also a favourite, i would add "Matching head and feet". I saw him in concert in Toulouse (France)in the early 80's alone with Zoot Money on organ and it's the more fascinating show i ever saw (and i've seen a lot).
It was powerful, sometimes full of humor, touching, very intense.

In France, we seem to love "losers" (at least non-mainstream americans), so we are very fond of Willy Deville, alone or with his group Mink Deville. He was associated wit the N York punk scene in the mid seventies but he was not a punk. He offered a mixture of rock, blues, soul and ballads. He's a real singer with a great voice, his version of cadillac walk is definitive.I recommend strongly his 3 first albums : cabretta, Return to Magenta & Le chat bleu. Le chat bleu was recorded in Paris because his label didn't want him anymore, was imported in the US and then pressed in the US. He's also a very good performer, even if his last albums are not perfect, he has enough killer tunes to give a perfect show.

It's just my advice but everybody to whom i presented Willy loved it. I dragged a jazz fusion fan to a show and now he's a great fan.
Jean

MKS
2006-03-12, 06:46
Hem http://www.hemmusic.com/

Michael Manring. I imagine his "Soliloquy" album will appeal to audiophiles. The care he takes in production and recording is just outstanding.

Jungle
2006-03-12, 12:32
.... would have to be Mary Margaret O'Hara - her first album 'Miss America' remains one of life's real pleasures 18 years after its release.

I'd give you a URL to explore more but she's so obscure that there's not a lot out on the net about her! If you can, track down a copy of 'Miss America' and give it a try - it's difficult, challenging and pretty raw but, to this listener, the woman is a genius.

sfraser
2006-03-12, 15:54
Tom Taylor out of vancouver, used to be in a band called
"She Stole my Beer" which were also most exellent.

Scott

NWP
2006-03-12, 16:12
Paleface. He disappeared for a long time, but now he is back and has a myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/paleface

His summary of his career:

Taught to write songs by Daniel Johnston, Discovered by Danny Fields, (Stooges, Ramones, Mc5, Doors,), Early influence on Beck, Signed by Seymour Stein, drank lots, Signed by Davitt Sigerson, drank more, laughed out of the music business, Nearly drank himself to death, Survived, Cleaned up, Back for more, Ready for anything

answerguru
2006-03-13, 13:07
Railroad Earth has a nice following, but aren't recognized by the mainstream for the most part. Their most recent album, Elko, is a tremendous live recording - one of the best live recordings I've heard in ages. It highlights the creative ability of all the members and their insight into playing off each other to build an intricate scaffold that supports the song.

Their first album, The Black Bear Sessions, was recorded a few weeks after getting together and is a true testament to their natural abilities. A few weeks later, they played the Telluride Bluegrass Festival - and they remain an active touring band to this day.

http://www.railroadearth.com

Cheers -

AnswerGuru

funkstar
2006-03-13, 15:31
A few that spring to mind right now:

Regina Spektor: Female vocals and piano

Cat Power: Female vocals, simple guitar accompanyment (not just accoustic)

Ane Brun: Female vocals (shock) from Norway (i think) quite country and folk.

Rogrigo y Rabriella: Accoustic spanish/mexican/rock/metal guitar. Quite amazing. They were supporting David Gray in Glasgow last year and got the most amazing reception i've ever heard a support act get. Going to see them on Glasgow on thursday night.

there are loads of others, BBC 6Music has a lot to answer for....

:)

ianjohnson_nz
2006-03-14, 02:14
Nick Cave gets my vote (mainly for Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds). Not especially well known in the US as I understand (well, not until Cash recorded one of his songs, and he subsequently dueted with Cash on American IV), but has a cult following in his native Australia, and the UK & Europe.

I saw him with The Bad Seeds in London in late 2004, and it was one of the best concerts I have been to. His music varies from incredibly dark and sinister to almost delicate in love. My fav albums: "Murder Ballads" and 2004's "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus". Just make sure the kids are out of earshot.

Regards, Ian

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-15, 13:45
One of the music joys for me is finding artists that others don't know about and then sharing them with friends. I mentioned Eva Cassidy in another thread. John Hiatt is another relative unknown in my collection with a great music catalog. Who are some artists that you have discovered and impressed your friends with your find?

U2

oh sorry not only has everyone heard them but they are crap

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-15, 13:48
truth be told I have no undiscovered artists these days. Trash Can Sinatras (http://www.trashcansinatras.com/downloads.shtml) aren't well known outside Scotland/Japan (oh yeah they are "big in Japan" (c) Alphaville).

Oh yeah and Looper www.looperama.com (FREE MP3s on this site!) --site was down when I posted try later

Hmmm and Beulah, Yo La Tengo, and The Sea and Cake are pretty unheard of in the UK.

saltydog4791
2006-03-15, 14:20
truth be told I have no undiscovered artists these days. Trash Can Sinatras (http://www.trashcansinatras.com/downloads.shtml) aren't well known outside Scotland/Japan (oh yeah they are "big in Japan" (c) Alphaville).

Oh yeah and Looper www.looperama.com (FREE MP3s on this site!) --site was down when I posted try later

Hmmm and Beulah, Yo La Tengo, and The Sea and Cake are pretty unheard of in the UK.

amen to yo la tengo AND Sea and Cake. Ira Kaplan from YLT is an amazing guitarist and a veritable encylopedia of music as well.

Skunk
2006-03-17, 08:30
Nick Cave gets my vote (mainly for Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds).

One of my favorite moments on film is in 'Wings of Desire', Nick Cave is playing in a bar- and a guy is standing against a wall, opposite a strobe light that's making his shadow do really wierd things. I think the music is what makes it wierd, rather than mundane. The whole bar scene is brilliant, all the audience members are like zombies, zombies that like the music.

He's intrigued me since seeing that movie, but I don't have any albums. Would you recommend one?

Slightly more on topic: I always loved the Beta Band, and they never really went anywhere before breaking up. Their Three EP's album is one to 'show off your system'.

EDIT: oops, you )did( recommend not one, but two :)
"My fav albums: "Murder Ballads" and 2004's "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus"."

nathanroberts1
2006-03-17, 09:00
Joanna Newsom will divide opinion, but if you like it, you'll really like it - if that makes sense. Incredibly talented harpist, poetic lyricist and a voice that sounds half old lady half child. There's a good sample video at http://www.dragcity.com/bands/newsom.html

She is also well served on Pandora and Last.Fm.

daveg
2006-03-23, 17:16
Patti Rothberg gets my vote. She's a New York girl who had a major record deal with EMI America before they went out of business, and should have been a major star, check out her debut album "Between the One and the Nine" for some really great music. She's released a subsequent album (Candelabra Cadabra) on an independent label but deserves much more exposure .... every once in a while you find someone who's music really gets to you. It's nice to know that it still can .

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-23, 20:34
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Great stuff. Fantastic musicians the Bad Seeds are. And sometimes Cave is channeling Leonard Cohen.

My favorite is "And No More Shall We Part"

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-23, 20:43
I would also recommend "Iron & Wine" (Sam Beam). A great singer/songwriter whose songs are close and dark. Southern gothic sung in an angel's whisper.

Start with "Our Endless Numbered Days" and if you like that, get everything.

repman
2006-03-24, 14:35
Dunno if Alabama 3 could be classed as undiscovered because of the use of 'Woke up this morning' as theme tune for 'The Sopranos' , but I saw them live back in 2000 and they were simply awesome.One of thier CD's is always on in my car stereo. Either 'Exile on Cold Harbour Lane' or 'La Peste' come highly recommended.

Harani
2006-03-28, 10:12
My favourite "unknowns" that i introduce friends to

Nick Harper Son of legendary 70's folkster Roy Harper http://www.harperspace.com/nick-harper-downloads.html

Francis Dunnery - Former front man of 80's pop-prog band It Bites
http://www.francisdunnery.com/discography.html

Isaac Guillory . Who i've seen in concert many times in the past, but is now sadly dead.
http://www.anetstation.com/guillory/personal.htm

Ellen Reid - Former backing vocalist with the Crash test Dummies who made one fantastic (IMO) solo album "Cinderellen" in 2001 and has done nothing since and now even her website seems to have vanished. But there are some samples of the album on the Crash test dummies web page
http://www.crashtestdummies.com/media.html

pm314
2006-03-28, 18:51
She's Your Sister

A bit on the harder side. From their website (shesyoursister.com):

"People have told us we sound kind of like Smashing Pumpkins or the Pixies or U2 or the Clash or 3 Dog Night (huh?), but since none of that makes much sense, we just tell people that we write three-minute pop/rock songs with loud choruses, riffy guitars, and vocals that, well, are either “soaring,” “intense,” or “loud” – depending on the positive adjective you care to attach.

narlus
2006-04-01, 10:35
Red Temple Spirits - Don't know much about this lot. I think they were LA-based in the late 80's. Released 2 albums ('Dancing to restore an eclipsed moon' and 'If tomorrow I were leaving for lhasa, I wouldn't stay another day') of pagan, psychedelic rock. They always sounded to me like the house band in the vampires' cave from 'The Lost Boys'.

nice one! RTS also released a 7" single on the Independent Project label...good but forgotten band.

jez, i assume you also like the IPR/Nate Starkman-related stuff like Fourwaycross, Abecedarians, Savage Republic, etc? good scene.

Robert W. Anderson
2006-04-03, 08:32
These guys were both on major labels, but generally people I meet don't know their music:

Dan Hicks (with and without his Hot Licks). His shows are alternately a lot of fun or kind of depressing (depending on whether he is doing his own thing or being a jazz crooner, respectively).

The other is Hoyt Axton. His Fearless and Snowblind Friend albums are quite good (and original).

Both of these guys have a real sense of humor in their music.

I don't know if I would have "discovered" either of these bands, except my Dad listened to them when I was very small -- he used to manage a night club and had booked both of them at some point.

Jez
2006-04-04, 16:57
nice one! RTS also released a 7" single on the Independent Project label...good but forgotten band.

jez, i assume you also like the IPR/Nate Starkman-related stuff like Fourwaycross, Abecedarians, Savage Republic, etc? good scene.

Wow . . someone else who has heard of Red Temple Spirits. Apart from Savage Republic, all the others you mention are new names to me and I've not heard anything by any of them . . I'll have to make a trip to Amoeba! The only RTS-related band that I'm aware of is Medicine and they never clicked with me.

Whilst I'm here, anyone heard any Trip Shakespeare? They were psych/art rock sorta thing but gradually become more mainstream and then they became Semisonic . . sigh. I know there's a couple of early things by them like Appleheaded Man (I think) that I haven't got but I think they might be vinyl only.

Philip Meyer
2006-04-05, 15:26
Godspeed You Black Emperor!

The first track I ever heard was on a UK film called 28 Days Later - it was near the start of the film where a guy wakes up to find that London is deserted. I loved this piece of music, so got the soundtrack. "East Hastings" doesn't appear on the soundtrack. It took a bit of research to discover the artist and track title.

I've got a few of their albums, and there have been some offshoot bands, such as A Silver Mt. Zion. Not sure what genre to put the music into. Experimental-Rock? Low-Fi?

Philip Meyer
2006-04-05, 15:40
A lot of my music collection consists of unheard artists. I tend to go off most artists when they hit the big time - I guess its when they start to turn the handle and lose their inventiveness.

I like many genres, but my favourite music is Prog Rock and Electronic/Ambient.

I bet no-one has heard of Igra Staklenih Perli or Yatha Sidhra!

One artist that I have followed from the very early days is Porcupine Tree. I saw them at small venues in Portsmouth and Reading many years ago - in fact, I challenged Richard Barbieri and Chris Maitland to a game of Pool at the Alleycat and got my copy of The Sky Moves Sideways autographed when I beat them (easy - they were definitely on something intoxicating substance). Unfortunately Steve Wilson was a bit shy to mingle with us, so I missed out on meeting god.

They are now beginning to become popular (I've seen the most recent album in high street shops), but they are still one of my favourite bands.

Jez
2006-04-05, 16:16
Wow, two posts I can really relate to.

I found Godspeed through the track 'Black Flag Blues' on the Kranky Kompilation which is well worth looking out in it's own right. If you like their darker moments check out 'The Hobs End Seance' by Mount Vernon Arts Lab. Also I recall the 'Set Fire To Flames' album was a good spin off from Godspeed. In a similar vein I enjoy 'More Weather' by Magnog (on Kranky, I think) and some of the early Mogwai stuff.

As for Porcupine Tree, I used to sell their records as a hobby when they first started releasing stuff on Delerium in the UK. In fact I may just still have their first two cassette albums somewhere. They definitely veered away from psych to prog as time wore on but Voyage 34 (and associated remixes) still holds a place in my heart and memories. If you like theirr early stuff, you might want to find the two label compilations Delerium put out in the early 90's - 'Fun With Mushrooms' and Pick and Mix' - I think they both have PT tracks on them. And the Dukes of the Stratosphear album is a must if you liked the Barrett-esque whimsy of some of the early PT stuff (or if you like XTC). Oh and the Tyrnaround from Australia . . and . . and . . . . ahh for those days of Freakbeat magazine and Club Dog!

Philip Meyer
2006-04-06, 15:48
>Also I recall the 'Set Fire To Flames' album was a
>good spin off from Godspeed.
>
I've heard some tracks from this; I'll have to pursue that one. Thanks for the other recommendations too.

>As for Porcupine Tree, I used to sell their records as a hobby when
>they first started releasing stuff on Delerium in the UK.
>In fact I may just still have their first two cassette albums somewhere.
>
I bought all the early albums and the Voyage 34 EP (and the remix EP, featuring the Astralasia mix) from Delerium.

>If you like theirr early stuff, you might want to find the two label
>compilations Delerium put out in the early 90's - 'Fun With Mushrooms'
>and Pick and Mix'
>
I have Pick and Mix - some good tracks on there, but I never really pursued other artists further.

>And the Dukes of the Stratosphear album is a must if you liked the
>Barrett-esque whimsy of some of the early PT stuff (or if you like
>XTC).
>
Sounds good.

Phil

egd
2006-04-10, 02:08
.... would have to be Mary Margaret O'Hara - her first album 'Miss America' remains one of life's real pleasures 18 years after its release.

I'd give you a URL to explore more but she's so obscure that there's not a lot out on the net about her! If you can, track down a copy of 'Miss America' and give it a try - it's difficult, challenging and pretty raw but, to this listener, the woman is a genius.

I have Miss America and also Blue Christmas, both excellent albums. You can find her here http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:erfnzfh7eh4k

egd
2006-04-10, 02:49
My favourite undiscovered artists include:
Mauritz Lotz - extraordinary electric & acoustic guitarist with a great ear for melody. Definitely something to showcase your hi-fi @ http://www.mauritzlotz.com/

Arno Carstens - great voice & compelling musician. Sound clips on website. http://www.arnocarstens.com/site.html

Mazzy Star - incredibly moody psychedelia. http://www.mazzystar.nu/web/biography.asp will give you a good intro.

Rodriguez, an absolute legend. Born in Detroit but an unknown in the US. To borrow from http://www.sugarman.org "His music is difficult to categorise as it fuses elements of Rock, Folk, Jazz, Soul, Blues and even Classical flourishes. Rodriguez is a singer-songwriter in the social commentary style of Bob Dylan, with the feel of the old Blues masters and even touches of Rock and Roll."

dnighorn
2006-04-24, 11:16
My vote goes to Girlyman. This is a Brooklyn-based trio that plays modern, folk-oriented music with harmonies to die for. Frankly, they could sing 'Twinkle Twinkle, little star' so long as they maintained those wonderful harmonies!

David

mactavish
2006-04-24, 13:40
Heard these guys on Soma's Groove Salad, got the album "Angel Milk"

Great, not sure if they are undiscovered but from the web it doesn't look like they have made it yet, but they sound great.

opaqueice
2006-04-24, 15:17
James McMurtry

His music isn't really my favorite, but I think he's one of the best, if not _the_ best songwriter around. For example "We can't make it here" from Childish Things:

http://www.jamesmcmurtry.com/lyrics/childish_things_05.htm#3

egd
2006-04-24, 17:11
James McMurtry

His music isn't really my favorite, but I think he's one of the best, if not _the_ best songwriter around. For example "We can't make it here" from Childish Things:

http://www.jamesmcmurtry.com/lyrics/childish_things_05.htm#3

Damn, those are some pretty hard hitting lyrics.

JustaGirl
2006-04-24, 20:31
Ok, had to chime in on this. Red Temple Spirits is by far one of the best undiscovered bands in "unsigned history"...

Gothic sort of psychedelic-punk meets Pink Floyd. Singer had great charisma, like nothing I have ever seen in all my "local band" days. They were huge in the 80's (in LA) but fizzled out in the early 90's. The singer and guitar player moved to Arizona in the very early 90's thus killing what was left of RTS. They formed a band in Sedona, AZ in the early 90's called Invisible Opera Company of Tibet. Had local success there and played a few random L.A. gigs in the early 90's. They could have been HUGE but frankly I think they were burned out from the L.A. days. Amazing...

TCM
2006-04-26, 13:05
I´m from Barcelona

http://www.imfrombarcelona.com

Video: http://exodus.interoutemediaservices.com/?id=cfd2da1e-9323-433f-b81c-2181ea2da2ac&delivery=stream

This is one big, happy, nerdy band.

TCM
2006-04-27, 02:15
More swedish pop nerds

Suburban Kids With Biblical Names

http://www.myspace.com/suburbankidswithbiblicalnames

http://skwbn.blogspot.com/

http://www.labrador.se/artists/suburban.php3

egd
2006-05-08, 13:44
Sophie Zelmani, WOW!

FlyFidelity
2006-05-10, 16:40
Off the top of my head:

+1 for Jim White. Largely unknown. Very cool.

Also, check out 'Precious Bryant'. She's an old(er) african american woman in her mid 60's who plays a mean acoustic guitar and sings the blues, covers some standards, etc. Her first album, released only a few years ago, was recorded in a living room. No backing band, very straight forward, very cool.

ianjohnson_nz
2006-05-18, 02:18
One of my favorite moments on film is in 'Wings of Desire', Nick Cave is playing in a bar- and a guy is standing against a wall, opposite a strobe light that's making his shadow do really wierd things. I think the music is what makes it wierd, rather than mundane. The whole bar scene is brilliant, all the audience members are like zombies, zombies that like the music.

He's intrigued me since seeing that movie, but I don't have any albums. Would you recommend one?

EDIT: oops, you )did( recommend not one, but two :)
"My fav albums: "Murder Ballads" and 2004's "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus"."
Sorry, it's taken me yonks to reply to this. Yes those two albums are terrific. But make sure you hear 'Red Right Hand' which is on the album 'Let Love In'. Musically awesome. The music swirls around & makes you feel like you should be doing a slow latin dance. Classic Bad Seeds; it builds up & then backs off after a climax (in this case a large bell), all the while with a driving bass background. I could go on about Cave's music for hours, it simply occupies you and his voice cruises in over the top. Sort of music that you seem to be able to crank to any volume without busting the amp or speakers, but that makes you feel like you need to look over your shoulder the whole time.

You really must see him live though. My skin still crawls thinking about that concert in London, Nov 2004.

Hmm reading that I sound like a groupie. I'm not, I just like music, and I happen to think he's a damn fine musician!

Regards, Ian

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-22, 18:12
Buck 65.

Unheard of outside of this country.

Talkin' Honky Blues has some great tracks on it.

The genre is hard to describe. Hip-hop with classic rock vocals and rock/country/folk undertones. His lyrics are very, very good - poetry really. Sometimes funny, sometimes not. I love the way he rhymes:

(talking about an old car he drives)

"Hole in the muffler
Ghosts on the shoulder
Cough drops, loose change
In the beverage holder
To roll down the window
Ya gotta use a wrench
Been thinkin' about brushin' up on my French
Right there in the glove box
If ya should look
You'll find fourty parking tickets
And a copy of The Good Book
Don't bother lookin',
You'll never find me
I'm startin' from scratch
And leaving trouble behind me"

ScoobyMusic
2006-08-30, 13:14
These guys are great - just heard them at San Francisco as part of the KFOG local artists month

www.miggsband.com

Let me know what you think

Skunk
2006-08-30, 13:27
www.miggsband.com
Let me know what you think

Sounds unoffensive and poppy, to me. They will probably do well.

NookZ
2006-09-06, 03:21
I've been listening to a lot of Australian artists recently that you may not have heard of -

The Cat Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_Empire)-
I love the energy and sheer enjoyment this six piece seems to be having all the time. Their style encompasses elements of jazz, ska, funk and rock. They were the band jammin' when the athletes entered the arena during the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Missy Higgins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missy_higgins) - Excellent husky-voiced singer-songwriter. Her album "The Sound Of White" was released in 2004.

The John Butler Trio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Butler_Trio) -
Former busker turned platinum selling recording artist, John Butler's music is reminiscent of Ben Harper's sung by Anthony Kiedis. His style is very percussion led, with heavy use of upright bass, steel guitar and banjo. His lyrics regularly have a strong political or environmental message.

Ben Lee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Lee) -
Another singer-songwriter with real pedigree, Ben has been recording for over 10 years now. His latest album "Gamble Everything For Love" is excellent.

Xavier Rudd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Rudd) -
Multi-instrument playing, surfer dude (a la Jack Johnson) is another world class act from Oz. Has release a few albums so far with "Solace" probably being the best known. His cover of Bob Marley's "No Woman No Cry" is fantastic.

Danielle Gaha (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=75340596) -
Female Jazz singer with an astounding voice. Little known in the UK unless you're familiar with the 1992 club hit "Stuck In The Middle". I urge you to seek out her album "You Don't Know Me" which is a collection of classic jazz covers.

Cheers,

NookZ

dcktr
2006-09-06, 20:28
Great Singer Songwriter
Many Flac files on etree.org
try the concert in Northhampton MA.
My favorite song - Candy

dwc
2006-09-08, 19:32
Diggin' the new Paris Hilton

TCM
2006-09-09, 06:06
Diggin' the new Paris Hilton

Shouldn't that one be in the Surprisingly good (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26683) thread... ;-D?

stevo
2006-09-10, 01:24
I've been listening to a lot of Australian artists recently that you may not have heard of

Hey I've got all the Aussie artists you mention loaded except for Danielle Gaha. I'll have to try this album.

The daughters gave me Julien Wilson: while you were sleeping (www.julienwilson.com) for Father's day if you are into Jazz. It's one of those albums that grows on you.

regards
Stevo

oreillymj
2006-09-10, 15:24
Perhap's not in the undiscovered category, but I bought Richard Hawley's - Coles Corner album after seeing him on the Mercury Music awards the other night.
All I can say is excellent. Really lush warm song arrangements which sometimes verge on jazzy, other times ever so slightly country tinged.
His voice is deep and gravelly, a mix of Elvis, Johnny Cash and Sinatra.
Well worth buying.

CardinalFang
2006-09-14, 13:42
I've been listening to a lot of Australian artists recently that you may not have heard of

My family go crazy for Tommy Emmanuel - he played ay the Sydney Olympics. I like his later acoustic stuff and I think that he is probably the finest finger style guitarist around today. He's a great entertainer live too. You Tube have some good recordings of him in concert.

Nikhil
2006-09-16, 18:43
Earlier this week I saw Vienna Teng (a former programmer at Cisco, and a Stanford Comp Sci graduate) playing live at the Ark in Ann Arbor. Vienna is a brilliant classically trained pianist and has a beautiful voice. She was accompanied by Marika Hughes (cello, vocals) and Dina Maccabee (violin, viola, vocals). I would have to say it was one of the most wonderful concerts I have been to in a long time. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!! I have 3 of her CDs, which are excellent .. but the live concert just blows the CDs away.

Joshua Radin (vocal/acoustic guitar) accompanied by Priscilla Ahn (vocal/piano) opened for Vienna. They were awesome too ... I've been a fan for a while now, but again hearing them live in an intimate setting like the Ark, with its excellent acoustics, was a whole new experience. Joshua's work has featured quite prominently on lot of Zach Braff's work including the recently released film 'The Last Kiss' and on the TV serials Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy.

http://viennateng.com/
http://www.myspace.com/viennateng
http://www.joshuaradin.com/
http://www.myspace.com/joshuaradin

If you get a chance to see both or either one of these performers live, please don't miss it .. you won't regret it.

Nikhil

NookZ
2006-09-19, 03:40
Hey I've got all the Aussie artists you mention loaded except for Danielle Gaha. I'll have to try this album.

The daughters gave me Julien Wilson: while you were sleeping (www.julienwilson.com) for Father's day if you are into Jazz. It's one of those albums that grows on you.

regards
Stevo

Stevo,

Thanks for the tip on Julien Wilson, had a little listen to the website and it sounds very smooth, just the thing to wind down to after a hard day's work.

Staying on a instrumental jazz tip I can highly recommend Kyle Eastwood's album Paris Blue - (his new album "Now" is released in October)

www.kyleeastwood.com

The son of legendary actor Clint Eastwood, bassist Kyle Eastwood inherited his father's well-known love of jazz music, becoming a respected session player during the early 1990s; later fronting his own quartet, he contributed a track to the 1997 Eastwood After Hours: Live at Carnegie Hall tribute LP, and a year later issued his solo debut

NookZ
2006-09-19, 03:43
My family go crazy for Tommy Emmanuel - he played ay the Sydney Olympics. I like his later acoustic stuff and I think that he is probably the finest finger style guitarist around today. He's a great entertainer live too. You Tube have some good recordings of him in concert.

Cheers CF, I'll look him up today.

CardinalFang
2006-09-19, 11:07
Cheers CF, I'll look him up today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eTp7SoNU

Tommy playing classical gas, a good introduction to his style.

Nikhil
2006-09-19, 13:47
Over time this favourite artist thread (along with other similar threads such as foreign language artists etc) has become quite a valuable resource, but as it grows in size it has become more difficult to navigate and to cross reference. I was thinking that a tabular form would make it more easily browsable.

How easy/difficult would it be to incorporate a table with the following columns as part of these forums?

1) Original Poster/Recommender
2) Artist
3) Genre/Style
4) Hyperlinks
5) Comments

ModelCitizen
2006-09-19, 13:52
I can't see that anyone in this thread will like this but... my favourite undiscovered electronic ambient artist (assuming Biosphere has been discovered) is England's Maitreya (www.councilofnine.co.uk). Pure head journey music. Dedicate some time, good hifi, a reasonable doobie, and you're away like nothing before.
MC

tomjtx
2006-09-23, 17:04
just saw this thread.

Manu Chau....Clandestino is his best Cd. Born in Spain, grew up in France...sings in english, spanish french and portugese. Multi genre, great lyrics

A lot of complexity to his music

Radio Tarifa...........mixes flamenco. renaissance music, jazz and arabic music

you wont get bored

Danger Mouse's Grey Album

peejay
2006-09-25, 19:21
Well, I have to place Kirk Lorange on this list. He is an Australian
(ex Canadian) slide guitarist. He has played on a long list of albums, predominantly for Australian artists over the last 20 odd years, but he released an album called 'No Apostrophe' - a tongue in cheek rebuff against those who tend to spell his last name like a well known duck dish - in ~1981, which I believe was one of the great undiscovered albums of all time. Great blues tracks like 'Come a long way', upbeat numbers like 'Storm a comin'' and timeless haunting numbers like 'Montreal' made this album a top listener on my personal charts for a long time...

adamslim
2006-09-26, 01:57
Ry Cooder and V M Bhatt on "A Meeting of the Rivers" - particularly the track Ganges Delta Blues. Basically Ry Cooder playing bottleneck slide blues with Indian musician V M Bhatt playing his own sitar-like instrument. It's amazing and proves the blues are international!

Bark Psychosis on the album "Hex". Gloriously moody and downbeat electronic music, think Portishead tackling Kind of Blue . . sort of. The recent release (Codename Dustsuccker, I think) hasn't had the same impact on me yet.

Yeah both of these are excellent. I saw Bark Psychosis live, ooh, over 15 years ago before they even had their first album out. They just had a couple of EPs, so it wasn't the longest of gigs!

If you like these, make sure you have Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock albums. While they were quite big in their time, it is these later (less popular) albums that will always have a special place in my collection.

NookZ
2006-09-29, 08:19
A tip from "The Word" magazine in the UK is for a US/Canadian band called Metric. They've released two albums - "Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?" and "Live It Out"

From "The Word" -

It's the quiet ones you have to watch. Emily Haines has a soft, candy-coated voice, and when it floats over Metric's thrashing guitars or whispers in breathy French, you're reminded of Blondie. But you're also reminded of Sonic Youth and The Au Pairs, which should tell you there's a sting in their tale. This Canadian quartet is seriously p*ssed off. What about? Patriarchy, emotional emptiness, consumerism, Iraq, The System. It's ages since I heard music this angry - and I hadn't realised how much I'd missed it!

After listening to the clips on Amazon, I have to agree. They sound excellent and are certainly recommended to the fans of Pop\Rock.

Cheers,

NZ

TCM
2006-10-04, 12:00
Maybe not my favorite, but a quite good, swedish group:

Fibes, Oh Fibes!
http://www.fibesohfibes.com/
http://www.myspace.com/fibesohfibes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmtZNUSNlVA

I get this 80's white, soul/rock feeling. Check out the video on YouTube.

NookZ: Great avatar, great group [ http://www.thecure.com/discography/?AssetID=698486 ]

NookZ
2006-10-05, 02:15
NookZ: Great avatar, great group [ http://www.thecure.com/discography/?AssetID=698486 ]

Yep, The Cure jst have to be my favourite band of the 80's (if not of all time). I know some other bands had a cooler image and others had more serious lyrics, but when they got it right their musical arrangements were so melodic I just can't help daydreaming :o)

BTW - I'm sure you've heard of these guys already, but my favourite Swedish band at the moment are Peter, Bjorn and John - http://www.last.fm/music/Peter+Bjorn+and+John

peejay
2006-10-05, 05:05
Joseph Diamond - A Latin-influenced Jazz Pianist (I think he's of Argentinian origin) who bashes out some very laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid back tunes. Check out his debut album 'Not your typical New Yorker'. A later album (Island garden I believe) has a track called 'L.A.' Funky and *very* classy.

Jim Larson
2006-10-05, 23:03
Chris Knight - "Enough Rope"
http://www.emusic.com/album/10938/10938907.html

One of the best virtually-unknown alt-country/Americana singer/songwriters out there today. Great storytelling, great band, and a great voice. Powerful stuff.

thing-fish
2006-10-06, 09:25
You can listen to loads of Mike Keneally for free at http://www.radiokeneally.com. Then you'll want to buy his albums, which, if not available at a quality retailer near you, can be had at http://www.moosemart.com. Just top-notch, widely varied from album to album (and sometimes within an album) fantastic music.

peejay
2006-10-06, 15:26
Welcome to the Nightclub of My Mind - Difficult to classify as it covers hypnotic piano melodies to synth-electronica to funky tracks like Sammy Slick. Check this one out.

NookZ
2006-10-09, 06:57
Check this Italian/Icelandic songstress out if you're a fan of clear crisp vocals.

Her first album "Love In The Time Of Science" has an ambient style with heavy bass and keyboards. Her second album "Fisherman's Woman" is pure acoustic, mostly just her and a guitar.

Love In The Time Of Science (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Time-Science-Emiliana-Torrini/dp/B00002MOZ3/sr=8-2/qid=1160401186/ref=pd_ka_2/202-8216702-2534263?ie=UTF8&s=music)

Fisherman's Woman (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishermans-Woman-Emiliana-Torrini/dp/B0002JEP6O/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_b/202-8216702-2534263?ie=UTF8)

She looks really hot too.....

ob_kook
2006-10-16, 08:00
The Crazy Elephant is a bar in Singapore whose house band guitarist (and owner/partner) channels Stevie Ray Vaughn on a nightly basis. Really hot chops. They have some of the best blues acts in Asia.

http://www.crazyelephant.com/index.htm

diveatlas
2006-10-16, 20:15
Thanks much for the Xavier Rudd recommendation. He sounds great. I like genre breaking artists.

My favorites of the not so undiscoverred artists. Forgive me if these are more mainstream. ..

G Love and Special Sauce: Mostly stripped down Hip-Hop Blues that dabbles in rock, ska, jazz, reggae and other styles

Mofro: Funky swampy soulful southern rock/jazz/blues thing

Citizen Cope: Hip-hoppish folk/pop

Antibalas: Afrobeat, and if you don't know afrobeat check out Fela Kuti (the legend)

Ali Farka Toure: African mellow blues, well discoverred if you are in to African music.

Alvin Youngblood Hart: Youynger dude playing mostly roots blues with other genres mixed in.

Bullfrog: Funk hip-hop

Zap Mama: Afro pop I guess

Lyrics Born: Soulful hip-hop with inteligent lyrics

Michael Franti and Spearhead: I like his live stuff better, but check him out. Socially consious reggae/hip-hop/folk/funk/pop. Also check his "songs from the front porch" album.

Damian Marley: Bob's son, great new reggae.

I'm sure you've had enough already. Hope these aren't too main stream.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-21, 12:56
I wonder if Sloan would qualify? I've been accused of suggesting names that are hardly undiscovered. :-/

I don't like everything they put out, but two tracks really stand out: She Says What She Means and The Other Man.

random_tox
2006-10-24, 22:12
One of my favorite moments on film is in 'Wings of Desire', Nick Cave is playing in a bar... The whole bar scene is brilliant,...

Second that!

...the Beta Band,...

I noted these guys "It's Not Too Beautiful" on Fila Brazillia's Another Late Night. Then on Astralwerks' Rarewerks 2, 'Squares (Bloah Mix)' ...Brilliant.

random_tox
2006-10-24, 23:10
Shpongle.

They seem to have a pretty big following in the European electronic crowd, but no one I know state-side has heard of them. I hadn't heard of them until some guy in Russia I'd been talking music with tipped me a couple years ago.

Difficult to justly describe their music. It's a battery of electronic gadgets, but 'Organic' can't be emphasized enough. Never repetitious or monotonous. Tracks evolve into themself and each other usually with no audible break. A lush chill morphs to a charged global rhythm before you realize it, but it never rushes. Constant tension and release but never cliche.

Comparisons are too restrictive but: Watching Aurora Borealis with a live Brazilian percussion troop and Pink Floyd playing and the Wachoski Brothers in charge of aural special effects.

random_tox
2006-10-24, 23:16
Rainbow Serpent
http://www.rainbow-serpent.de/

I stumbled across these guys quite randomly and was blown away.

random_tox
2006-10-25, 14:32
After listening to some of the samples on their site, I thought I may want to be more specific or everyone may think I drool for cheese laden New-Age.

I have the '8th Nerve' CD which I can vouch is great. Bets are off for their other material.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-25, 16:32
Again, I'm not sure if this qualifies as undiscovered because I'm not aware how popular Canadian artists are outside the country. I would assume they're largely undiscovered.

But k-os's albums Exit and Joyful Rebellion are really, really good. A combination of hip-hop, blues, folk, jazz, funk, soul, rock, etc. Huge variety, all great.

mschiff
2006-10-26, 10:07
Dominic Gaudious. http://www.dominicgaudious.com

Amazing acoustic guitar/world music.

-- Martin
http://www.starbirthmusic.com

peejay
2006-12-30, 22:52
How about 'Chris Strandring' - He probably comes under the Soft Jazz Genre, but stands out for his jazz guitar-based offerings with very tight production. Try his 'Groovalicious' album - it lives up to its name.

stovis
2007-01-08, 17:11
The Duke Spirit

MrSinatra
2007-01-08, 17:18
for the eva cassidy person, (and blues / folk types) Dawn Kinnard.

for alt pop types, Frente's "Marvin the album" kicks ass.

rplert
2007-01-08, 19:07
Great thread. Hard as it may be to believe, I have had many friends really like Lucinda Williams and they had never heard of her. More in keeping with the spirit of this thread I will nominate Comets on Fire. I had their album Avatar on my top ten list of the year. If you are into guitar (they remind me a bit of John Cippolina era Quicksilver Messenger Service) I think you might like them. I did not see them on any of the end of year lists, and that is too bad I think.

kellidoll
2008-08-07, 15:21
I just found The Lil Kev and Alivia Annete Show.
They are hip hop, rap on Lil Kev's side and really pretty female vocals on Alivia's side, and they are really good.
They are really young to be so talented.

Siduhe
2008-08-07, 17:22
Six months ago I would have said Burial (http://www.last.fm/artist/Burial), but I wouldn't say he is that undiscovered any more (at least in the UK).

So I will have to go with Audiofly (http://www.last.fm/music/Audiofly) and Joel Edwards (http://www.last.fm/music/Joel+Edwards). At different ends of the music spectrum (although they have more in common than you think - Joel produced a number of tracks for Massive Attack in another life) but totally committed to what they put out, and it shows IMHO.

TCM
2008-08-07, 23:01
Glasvegas (http://www.myspace.com/glasvegas)

Glasvegas - It’s My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry (http://www.acertainromance.com/files/07.11.07/Glasvegas_ItsMyOwnCheatingHeartThatMakesMeCry.mp3) [mp3]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmClxKWhPY

andynormancx
2008-08-08, 01:05
Vixy and Tony, a great filk* duo from Seattle. Funny, quirky lyrics and an interesting variety of musical styles.

http://www.vixyandtony.com/music.html

* kind of like folk for the Internet generation

Nonreality
2008-08-08, 02:22
Well he was undiscovered to me until a month ago. Love his music. Try Bloomed.

browellm
2008-08-08, 02:59
My absolute fav at the moment is a band called Beirut. Completely intoxicating mix of musical styles.

You can watch them live viseos of their latest album here: http://flyingclubcup.com/

Dogberry2
2008-08-08, 12:57
I really like Rick Cicconetti's stuff. I think he only has the one album out, but it's very good stuff. Some good melodic jazz lines, and in different styles. He's on CD Baby (http://cdbaby.com/cd/rickcicconetti) and also iTunes (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=279931614)

ctbarker32
2008-08-08, 18:42
Robby Aceto.

Guitar player for people like David Sylvian. His "Code" album is a masterpiece, IMHO.

Also, Gavin Harrison.

Current drummer for Porcupine Tree, and brand new dual drummer for reformed King Crimson touring right this minute!

Gavin's "Gravity" album is another masterpiece only available as a Flac download at Burning Shed website. Features wonderful and rare piano playing by Dave Stewart (National Health, Hatfield and the North, Bruford, Egg, etc.).

-CB

egd
2008-08-08, 22:49

I'd give you a URL to explore more but she's so obscure that there's not a lot out on the net about her! If you can, track down a copy of 'Miss America' and give it a try - it's difficult, challenging and pretty raw but, to this listener, the woman is a genius.Have to agree, she's fantastic.

radish
2008-08-10, 13:04
Don't know if I'd call him undiscovered, but Mike Tournier has been in some pretty awesome bands without ever getting super famous himself. Started off in Fluke, then formed Syntax (who had one totally under-appreciated but rocking album in 2004). Has vanished from the face of the world since, which is sad.

ralphpnj
2008-08-11, 07:31
All time absolute favorite (relatively) undiscovered artist:

NRBQ (The New Rhythm & Blues Quartet), quite possibly the greatest bar band in history.

And in the jazz category there's:

Mal Waldron, a fantastic piano player with a completely unique sound but unfortunately Mal's no longer with us.

Gold Sounds, a quartet consisting of James Carter - sax, Cyrus Chestnut - piano, Reginald Veal - bass and Ali Jackson - drums, that play only covers of Pavement songs.

egd
2008-08-11, 16:23
Madrugada. A recent discovery for me. Atmospheric rock, great melodies and some exceptionally good broody tracks to take you on a journey away from your surrounds. Lead vocalist has a warm, deep, voice that conveys emotion and fits the music extraordinarily well.

kmr
2008-08-12, 00:21
Second what somebody said earlier (late 2006 :-) - Richard Thompson seems to have been undiscovered for 30 years. Disagree with the Tragically Hip reference (also way earlier) - NOT undiscovered; they've gotten radio airplay ("New Orleans is Sinking"), appeared on SNL (1994 or so), and unfortunately haven't really made a good record since "Day for Night" in 1994. But that one and its predecessor, "Fully Completely", are very good and stay on heavy rotation in my library.

Some real undiscovereds:

Tonio K: His first two albums, "Life in the Foodchain" and "Amerika" are sublime; the quality falls off a little bit after that, but all his stuff is good. See Gadfly Records for reissues.

Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul: Little Steven is of course Steve Van Zandt of the E St Band, nowadays perhaps better known for his role as Silvio Dante on The Sopranos. But the first album under the Little Steven moniker was a brilliant Asbury Park soul synthesis that puts Springsteen and Southside Johnny to shame. It's completely forgotten today.

Mink DeVille: Frontman Willy DeVille is probably best known for the closing credits song from the classic movie "The Princess Bride", but his '70's and early '80's band put out a slew of Latin-tinged New York R&B that's as fresh today as it was 25 years ago.

Continental Drifters: Take an ex-Bangle, an ex-Egyptian and ex-REM tour musician, a scion of the Cowsills (some say they were the inspiration for the Partridge Family), and a couple of others, set them down in New Orleans, mix in some heartache, and you get something a helluva lot better than the insipid "American Fleetwood Mac" label some shortsighted reviewers attached. One of the best American bands of the last 10 years.

T-Bone Burnett: Known far and wide as an uberproducer and musical director, T-Bone's music under his own name is criminally overlooked. Do yourself a huge favor and pick up "Twenty/Twenty", a 2-CD retrospective released in 2006, then buy all the rest of his formidable solo catalog. You can't go wrong with anything in his oeuvre.

All of these acts are truly too cool for the room ... so pick some of them up and revel in it!

Khuli
2008-08-13, 02:02
Mink DeVille: Frontman Willy DeVille is probably best known for the closing credits song from the classic movie "The Princess Bride", but his '70's and early '80's band put out a slew of Latin-tinged New York R&B that's as fresh today as it was 25 years ago.

I only know them best from Spanish Stroll playing on the radio as a kid. That was a great tune (the only one of theirs I know) - 1978/79 seemed to have some pretty good music! http://www.everyhit.com/

bdelp
2008-08-15, 08:18
Kendall Payne. Her first 2 albums (Jordan's Sister & Grown)are great.
Jordan's Sister was released by Capital and is very good. For some reason she was dropped by them. My theory is that she refused to sleep with record company execs. Grown was released independently and is an epic album...The best "undiscovered" album I've ever heard.
First 2 album genres are what I'd call alternative rock.
BD

Mabel025
2008-08-15, 13:36
There is one guy that has catched my eye. He's name is Jimmy Inglish, he's american and he plays some kind of pop-rock, nice to hear type of music, it's perfect to play it out loud when you're driving down the street with your friends and just trying to have a great time.

He's come a long way, and I suggest you all to listen to his music and give him a chance, I'm sure you'll really like his music.

Mabel
Outsourcing Consultancy Services (http://www.stalwartcspl.com)

haunyack
2008-08-15, 22:58
SiSé

Carol C is a heartstopper.

gbruzzo
2008-08-18, 05:41
This guy is phenomenal:

Charles Stuart

"The man who likes watching"

Slowfoot records 2007 (www.slowfoot.co.uk)

While you are at it, check out "Crackle", also out on Slowfoot

Giacomo

Pneumonic
2008-09-10, 12:25
18 year old Canadian phenom Jimmy Bowskill.

He's got an old blues sound but is now venturing into power rock feel.

If you're into early Zep, Canned Heat, or ZZ check this kid out.

http://www.jimmybowskill.com/index.cfm

maggior
2008-09-10, 13:20
Robby Aceto.

Gavin's "Gravity" album is another masterpiece only available as a Flac download at Burning Shed website. Features wonderful and rare piano playing by Dave Stewart (National Health, Hatfield and the North, Bruford, Egg, etc.).

-CB

Gavin is the MAN when it comes to drums. I've seen PT in concert 3 times and am always in awe of his playing. As you might guess from my avatar, I'm a HUGE Porcupine Tree fan. The best quote I've heard to describe them best was that "Porcupine Tree is the best band you've never heard of!". Though lately they seem to becoming more and more popular as word spreads.

I'll have to check out this FLAC download from Burning Shed - thanks for the tip. Also on my list of "things to download" is a recording of a King Crimson concert available on their website as a FLAC download. I heard Gavin really ripped it up at the KC shows this summer. Since I wasn't able to go to the shows, this will have to do.

Regarding the rest of this thread - I thought I had eccentric musical tastes, yet I haven't heard of 90% of the music mentioned in this thread!! :-).

Nonreality
2008-09-11, 01:27
Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul: Little Steven is of course Steve Van Zandt of the E St Band, nowadays perhaps better known for his role as Silvio Dante on The Sopranos. But the first album under the Little Steven moniker was a brilliant Asbury Park soul synthesis that puts Springsteen and Southside Johnny to shame. It's completely forgotten today.

More about Little Steven. That same year Bruce Springsteen said that it was by far the best album of the year. The main contender that year was a little know album named Born To Run. :) Yes it's a great album and I need a new copy badly. Thanks for reminding me.

PLynas
2008-09-11, 05:29
Some of these suggestions seem far from being undiscovered to me (Nick Cave, Godspeed You Black Emperor in particular) but I guess a lot of it depends upon which country you are from and what type of music you listen to.

I would second Glasvegas (although I guess they are not classed as undiscovered in the UK any more) and also suggest the following (cue people telling me that my choices are not undiscovred either.....):

Blueneck
iLiKETRAiNS
Kyte
Art Brut
Cage The Elephant
Dogs Die In Hot Cars
Modest Mouse

Black Pearl
2008-09-13, 01:42
Tony Bengtsson http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=146232528

Unsigned but has two CD's available - get them at his gigs.

kmr
2008-09-14, 18:24
More about Little Steven. That same year Bruce Springsteen said that it was by far the best album of the year. The main contender that year was a little know album named Born To Run. :) Yes it's a great album and I need a new copy badly. Thanks for reminding me.

Hate to quibble with a rave second of my original recommendation, but the first Little Steven album, "Men Without Women", came out in 1982; "Born To Run" (Springsteen's third, with the E Street Band as well, but oddly enough I don't remember Steve Van Zandt having a credit on it) came out in 1975. IIRC, the Springsteen album that came out in 1982 was a solo gem called "Nebraska", which was a major departure for the Boss - not a commercial success but lots of good reviews. "State Trooper" gets my vote as one of the spookiest songs ever.

pski
2008-09-14, 18:46
A post without having read the rest (apologies):

Porcupine Tree

Progressive rock beyond belief.

Halo should have been rock song of the year..

pski
2008-09-14, 18:52
Hate to quibble with a rave second of my original recommendation, but the first Little Steven album, "Men Without Women", came out in 1982; "Born To Run" (Springsteen's third, with the E Street Band as well, but oddly enough I don't remember Steve Van Zandt having a credit on it) came out in 1975. IIRC, the Springsteen album that came out in 1982 was a solo gem called "Nebraska", which was a major departure for the Boss - not a commercial success but lots of good reviews. "State Trooper" gets my vote as one of the spookiest songs ever.

On my way from Denver to Nebraska last week an "into the music" radio show opened my eyes to the Bruce. Amazing. This will set me off buying the disks I don't already have..

P

Philip Meyer
2008-09-14, 23:53
>Porcupine Tree
>
In the past they would get my vote. However, I wouldn't class them as undiscovered any longer - they do have a chart presence these days.

My vote now goes to Blackfield, which features Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree ;)

Phil

Leftover Salmon
2008-09-20, 08:43
I'm not sure you can say that they are "undiscovered" as they have four albums out now and you can hear them on X Country (12) on XM Radio, but JJ Grey and his band MOFRO are worth checking out. If you like funky organs, wah wah pedals, and lyrics that address a time long sense past you'll really enjoy them!

Here are my favorite slow song ballads:

1.) Whitehouse - Blackwater
2.) Dew Drops - Orange Blossoms
3.) On Palstine - Country Ghetto
4.) The Sun Is Shining Down - Country Ghetto
5.) Goodbye - Country Ghetto
6.) Lochloosa - Lochloosa
7.) Ten Thousand Islands - Lochloosa
8.) The Truth - Orange Blossoms
9.) I Believe (In Everything) - Orange Blossoms
10.) The Long Way Home - Lochloosa

They have plenty of tunes to rock out to as well:

1.) Country Ghetto - Country Ghetto
2.) Ho Cake - Blackwater
3.) Turpentine - Country Ghetto
4.) Mississippi - Country Ghetto
5.) On Fire - Orange Blossoms

pski
2008-10-09, 19:23
Porcupine Tree

Khuli
2008-10-10, 01:43
Ezio (http://www.ezio.co.uk/) - Top quality folk-rock.

Benji243
2012-09-09, 12:50
I love digging out 'underground' talent, there's something really exciting and personal about it :) there's a couple I've seen recently, a great reggae fusion band called XOVA, and also a singer called kirsten amy who does sort of what I can only describe as 'Exotic rock'! lol, I have seen both live around the west midlands and they are brill. I particularly like the track tears by XOVA, and vampire by kirstenamy. Worth checking out if you like world inspired fusion music for deffo