PDA

View Full Version : Problem with DHCP client and list in web interface.

AirData
2006-03-02, 09:22
The web browser page shows, in the upper right corner, a drop-down list of all available players. The problem I have is that my Palm Treo always has a new IP and I have to go in and delete the old player and set up a new one every time.

I would also think this would be a problem for anyone traveling unless they set it by MAC address. My Treo doesn't have a MAC address but does have a dynamically assigned IP adddress. So, is there a way to have a wildcard in the IP address? Something like this: 70.70.*.*?

Otherwise, I have it streaming to my phone and laptop perfectly.

I asked this a few days ago and go no replys so I thought I'd try to ask it a different way :)

radish
2006-03-02, 13:18
Regular player preferences are keyed by MAC, because as you rightly point out, IPs can change quite frequently. Where the MAC is unavailable (because it's on a routed network) I guess it has no choice but to use IP. I'm not really sure how you'd handle identifying a player when the MAC is unknown and the IP is dynamic.

repman
2006-03-02, 13:41
The web browser page shows, in the upper right corner, a drop-down list of all available players. The problem I have is that my Palm Treo always has a new IP and I have to go in and delete the old player and set up a new one every time.

I would also think this would be a problem for anyone traveling unless they set it by MAC address. My Treo doesn't have a MAC address but does have a dynamically assigned IP adddress. So, is there a way to have a wildcard in the IP address? Something like this: 70.70.*.*?

Otherwise, I have it streaming to my phone and laptop perfectly.

I asked this a few days ago and go no replys so I thought I'd try to ask it a different way :)

If your Palm Treo connects to your wireless (or wired) network wth a dynamically assigned IP address - It must have a MAC address try an 'arp' from a windows command prompt - i.e "arp 'treo ip no ' -a " this sould resolve the ip to mac address.
My squeezebox gives this result :

Interface: 192.168.2.6 --- 0x2
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.2.7 00-04-20-06-31-4a dynamic

Hope this helps ...
Rep

radish
2006-03-02, 14:36
I was assuming the Treo was coming in from the outside world via GPRS or something, in which case all you'll have is an IP. However, of course, if you're on a local network via wireless there surely will be a MAC.

dean
2006-03-03, 09:19
On Mar 2, 2006, at 12:18 PM, radish wrote:

>
> Regular player preferences are keyed by MAC, because as you rightly
> point out, IPs can change quite frequently. Where the MAC is
> unavailable (because it's on a routed network) I guess it has no
> choice
> but to use IP. I'm not really sure how you'd handle identifying a
> player
> when the MAC is unknown and the IP is dynamic.
Actually, the Squeezebox sends its MAC address as a unique identifier
in band on the Slimproto connection and doesn't rely on the MAC
address on the packets to identify the player.

radish
2006-03-03, 10:42
On Mar 2, 2006, at 12:18 PM, radish wrote:

>
> Regular player preferences are keyed by MAC, because as you rightly
> point out, IPs can change quite frequently. Where the MAC is
> unavailable (because it's on a routed network) I guess it has no
> choice
> but to use IP. I'm not really sure how you'd handle identifying a
> player
> when the MAC is unknown and the IP is dynamic.
Actually, the Squeezebox sends its MAC address as a unique identifier
in band on the Slimproto connection and doesn't rely on the MAC
address on the packets to identify the player.

Thanks for the clarification - that makes sense. So a slimproto player could send some UID for itself even if it (somehow) doesn't have a MAC?

Would it make sense to add a similar feature to the stream.mp3 method? How about an optional "player=..." http parameter which could allow a bookmark to identify which set of prefs the server should use, ignoring IP address?

kdf
2006-03-03, 11:38
Quoting radish <radish.243ucz1141407901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Would it make sense to add a similar feature to the stream.mp3 method?
> How about an optional "player=..." http parameter which could allow a
> bookmark to identify which set of prefs the server should use, ignoring
> IP address?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=801

AirData
2006-03-03, 12:37
Quoting radish <radish.243ucz1141407901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Would it make sense to add a similar feature to the stream.mp3 method?
> How about an optional "player=..." http parameter which could allow a
> bookmark to identify which set of prefs the server should use, ignoring
> IP address?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=801

Thanks guys for the interest in this!! I would think as smartphones become more and more popular that this would be a common feature.

kdf, are you saying that the info in the bugs report could work if copied to the file? This idea would be fine with me. I had tried naming the player "Treo" but because the IP changes it would not work.

Thanks again for the ideas...

kdf
2006-03-03, 13:40
> kdf, are you saying that the info in the bugs report could work if
> copied to the file? This idea would be fine with me. I had tried naming
> the player "Treo" but because the IP changes it would not work.
>
well, it would get you PART of the way. There are the issues that I already mentioned in that report. The part would only work if you run using slimserver.pl. Slim.exe is already pre-bundled, and does not take code changes without re-building the exe. That requires buying the Perl Deev Kit from ActiveState. Running slimserver.pl on windows simply requires the free ActivePerl from ActiveState.