PDA

View Full Version : My new music addiction

mwphoto
2006-03-02, 06:04
Hi All,

Well SlimDevices and the SqueezeBox have made a big difference to me, my music collection has grown by 25% in the six months since I had a Squeezebox (and now I have 2!)

My collection had got pretty static, but with SlimServer letting my explore what I had with Random mix and LastFM helping me find new stuff I've got really interested in buying stuff as well.

One other note - I used to buy full price CDs, now I buy secondhand and other chaep material, as I'm still confident about the quality, and the CDs aren't 'display items' any more they just get hidden in a box somewhere.

So what have I been buying recently:

* Leonard Cohen (Ten New Songs is brilliant - get to listen to 'A thousand Kisses deep' if you can)

* Sarah McLachlan (a new find, had no idea who she was until LastFM)

* Elliot Smith (another new find)

* Joss Stone (another new find)

* Lisa Gianikos (from a forum recommendation)

* Kate Bush (just adding to the collection)

* Martyn Joseph (just adding to the collection)

* Katie Melua & Coldplay (ok a bit mainstream, but still good)

And a bunch of other new stuff as well . . . . .

Malcolm

Kyle
2006-03-02, 08:46
If you've just found Sarah McLachlan and Joss Stone, have you found Eva Cassidy? She was an unknown DC-area blues singer, who passed away in the early '80's, I think, and then became discovered after a British documentary about her. She has about a half-dozen albums out, with songs ranging from rock and R&B to jazz standards, to gospel. She's got a great, strong voice and a wonderful, unique style. You obviously like strong female vocalists, so check her out, if you haven't already.

snarlydwarf
2006-03-02, 09:30
hah, I finally bought Leonard Cohen albums after being nagged for 15 years by a friend. Last.fm pushed me over the edge to actually buy them.

But, yeah, Squeezeboxes are driving up my music purchases. Right now, Annie Lennox is singing "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" from Red Hot + Blue, a Cole Porter tribute album that I'd been meaning to buy since they aired it on TV like 15 years ago. Part of a series of AIDS research fund raising albums, some of which are great, some of which I wonder about. (Rio and Lisbon are great, but, then, I'm a Brazil addict... and anything with Marisa Monte is good.)

So much great music that never ever gets radio play.

Kyle
2006-03-02, 09:33
So much great music that never ever gets radio play.
I remember when FM was new and stations would play entire albums with no commercials and you could really discover new music from commercial radio. That's impossible now, but Pandora and Last.FM are bringing back the ability to actually hear things you haven't heard a thousand times before. What the record labels seem not to understand is that people might actually BUY something that they hear. Maybe they'll figure it out.

rkeeney
2006-03-02, 11:42
What the record labels seem not to understand is that people might actually BUY something that they hear. Maybe they'll figure it out.

I don't think they ever will figure it out. Consider the ads on Pandora and other places. It appears they think we will buy something from the visual hype. I suppose that's an artifact of the music video trend. What they have truly forgotten is that music will always be mostly an aural experience.

There I go again, proving once again that I'm just an old fogey.

Rob.............

Kyle
2006-03-02, 11:47
What they have truly forgotten is that music will always be mostly an aural experience.

There I go again, proving once again that I'm just an old fogey.

Rob.............

You're probably one of those guys who actually makes his purchases based on the music -- not the video ;). IMHO, music videos have been a key contributor to the decline in music sales.

rkeeney
2006-03-02, 11:51
You're probably one of those guys who actually makes his purchases based on the music -- not the video ;). IMHO, music videos have been a key contributor to the decline in music sales.

Of course, since I would never have seen the video anyway.

BTW, I like the addition of this forum. A good source to look for some new music.

Siduhe
2006-03-02, 11:54
What the record labels seem not to understand is that people might actually BUY something that they hear. Maybe they'll figure it out.

I'm not so sure - whilst those who take an extremist position at either end of the digital music divide get all the press, my perception is that the mainstream industry is (oh so slowly) moving towards some kind of industry-wide licencing system for streaming music. In other words, applying the system which has existed for terrestrial radio for years.

It's far away from the fair play / fair usage position that I would like to see accepted, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more products like Pandora and Last.fm in the near future.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-02, 12:03
Internet radio has turned me on to some artists I had heard OF, but never really heard. Tom Waits, Nick Cave, and Leonard Cohen come to mind. I never would have been exposed to these artists through radio airplay or TV videos. As much as the music biz probably hates internet radio, I can see that it is driving sales of lesser-known artists.

mwphoto
2006-03-02, 12:46
If you've just found Sarah McLachlan and Joss Stone, have you found Eva Cassidy? She was an unknown DC-area blues singer, who passed away in the early '80's, I think, and then became discovered after a British documentary about her. She has about a half-dozen albums out, with songs ranging from rock and R&B to jazz standards, to gospel. She's got a great, strong voice and a wonderful, unique style. You obviously like strong female vocalists, so check her out, if you haven't already.

Yeah, I agree that she's got a great voice, somehow I don't connect with the songs she sings (they're mostly covers aren't they?). The one that really stands out for me is 'Fields Of Gold', but the others just don't seem to get to my soul.

Malcolm

JJZolx
2006-03-02, 15:23
If you've just found Sarah McLachlan...
...you've been living on an uninhabited island for 15 years.

CardinalFang
2006-03-02, 15:43
* Elliot Smith (another new find)
* Joss Stone (another new find)

I was really saddened when Elliot Smith comitted suicide a while back, I had no idea he was that disturbed. Ron Sexsmith is also in that vein and a fantastic songwriter.

Joss Stone was big news in the UK for a while as she was only 16 when she recorded that album, but she has disappeared from view a bit now as she did become a bit of a one-trick pony.

mwphoto
2006-03-02, 17:04
If you've just found Sarah McLachlan...
...you've been living on an uninhabited island for 15 years.

What, really?

Damn, if she's popular and mainsteam I'll have to delete all the FLAC's out of my collection. Thanks for the head's up though I wouldn't want people to think I was listening to 'popular' music (apart from when I'm listening 'ironically') ;)

Malcolm

agentsmith
2006-03-02, 19:05
What, really?

Damn, if she's popular and mainsteam I'll have to delete all the FLAC's out of my collection. Thanks for the head's up though I wouldn't want people to think I was listening to 'popular' music (apart from when I'm listening 'ironically') ;)

Malcolm

Sarah M is a smashing success in Canada. but outside of Canada she was a little less well known. Local favorites like Blue Rodeo, Lenoard Cohen, Bruce Cockburn and the like are also household names in Canada.

gusi
2006-03-06, 02:37
Joss Stone put another album out last year. The first album was not unlike Aretha Franklin, lots of jazzy, bluesy soul.

Her new album is more influenced by Brittney Spears, (well to my ears at least) but still has that soulful touch. It is much more modern than the first album.

Eva Cassidy has a very pretty voice and I really love "Wade in the Water" and "People get Ready".

My favourite discoveries from the last year are
Donald Byrd; Black Byrd
Cassandra Wilson: New Moon Daughter, Travelling Miles, Belly of the Sun and others
Alice Coltrane: Translinear Light

Blue Note has remastered many of their bop and hard bop (jazz) titles under the RVG moniker, hard to go wrong here.

I guess it has been quite a jazz year but I do have lots of other music in my collection.

New in my collection this week:
Donald Byrd: Charicatures
Missy Higgins: the Sound of White
Jimmy Hendrix: Experience Box (Vinyl)

Gus

nicktf
2006-03-07, 00:33
Sarah M is a smashing success in Canada. but outside of Canada she was a little less well known.

She's pretty well known in the UK - had a sell out tour recently - Incidentally I was v. impressed with her live - whilst some of her records are a bit...fey... she really belted them out on stage - an excellent evening.

gblanston
2006-03-12, 01:31
I saw Ron Sexsmith open for Lucinda Williams at the Vic in Chicago several years ago. I was not familiar with him at the time, but boy was I pleasantly surprised. I have since downloaded some of his stuff just to get a taste. But inexplicably - and shamefully - I have yet to purchase any of his CDs. Any recommendations? Almost everything I have is from Blue Boy, so I am somewhat clueless as to his other albums.

Thanks in advance.