PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to SqueezeNetwork - blank screen displayed

cbemoore
2006-03-01, 16:15
Using my SB2, with latest firmware 35, I can't connect to SqueezeNetwork.

The SB2 displays "Connecting to SqueezeNetwork..." for a few seconds, and then the display just goes blank (and stays blank). If I press an arrow key on the remote, the "Connecting to SqueezeNetwork..." message is displayed for a few seconds again.

How can I can debug this problem? I would try pinging the SqueezeNetwork IP address, but I don't know what the address is!

Its not a temporary problem - I've been unable to connect for least the last week or two. :-( I've tried rebooting the SB2 and my router, but no joy.....

Cheers
Chris

mherger
2006-03-02, 00:37
> The SB2 displays "Connecting to SqueezeNetwork..." for a few seconds,
> and then the display just goes blank (and stays blank). If I press an
> arrow key on the remote, the "Connecting to SqueezeNetwork..." message
> is displayed for a few seconds again.

Please check your network settings on the SB (especially the DNS entries).
Compare with those on your box.

> How can I can debug this problem? I would try pinging the
> SqueezeNetwork IP address, but I don't know what the address is!

The proper keywords for a search in the forum would be "ping
squeezenetwork". It gave me the following result:

service.us.squeezenetwork.com

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

cbemoore
2006-03-02, 00:51
Please check your network settings on the SB (especially the DNS entries).
Compare with those on your box.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've already checked this - in the SB2 network settings the DNS server is set to the address of my router. My router acts as DNS server for my network, so I assume that's correct? My router then uses 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10 as its own DNS servers.

The proper keywords for a search in the forum would be "ping
squeezenetwork". It gave me the following result:

service.us.squeezenetwork.com

Thanks - I thought that search would just give me the IP of www.squeezenetwork.com!!

I've tried pinging service.us.squeezenetwork.com from my PC, and it responds with no problems. So I think that proves my DNS server is working correctly....

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks
Chris

mreader
2006-03-02, 07:21
Hi,

I too had this problem as have numerous others.

As you've already noted, your DNS is working fine since you can resolve the squeezenetwork address from your own PC.

For some odd reason, the SB doesnt like resolving names on some routers. Also note, that its perfectly normal for router to also act as the DNS server on a network.

My resolution was to manually enter in the network settings on my squeezebox.

So for example.

Make the network address a valid and unique address in your homework.

Keep the subnet mask as the default 255.255.255.0 (unless you have a different setup).

Make the gateway address your router address.

And finally and more importantly, the DNS Server address should not point to your router, but to your ISP assigned addresses..Which in your particular case is 212.159.6.9

Some time back it was suggested that people were having problems because the Squeezenetwork server was moved to a different IP address and it was taking time for DNS servers to update their records (which is a perfectally valid point).

However, I belive there is still an unknown/unreported problem still ongoing with some users where the SB is not happy going via a router, but prefers direct DNS addresses.

For the record Im using a Netgear DG834G router and I had to manually enter in the DNS server details in order to connect.

Michael.

cbemoore
2006-03-02, 07:44
Aha - I'm using a Netgear DG834G too!! It looks like the SB2 doesn't like it for some reason.

The strange thing is that Squeezenetwork used to work absolutely fine. I'm guessing that the firmware updates from FW28 to FW35 have broken this in some way.

Should I raise a bug???

mreader
2006-03-02, 07:58
I belive its a bug and warrants to be listed.

It also might be usefull to have a "sticky" in the forum so that people who have similar problems can detail which routers they've got.

Michael

gingerneil
2006-03-02, 10:17
I've been having trouble getting on to SN too - it worked fine before I moved house, but then did not (must have been just when ther IP of the SN server changed!). Now added the DNS manually, and its back up and running.
THANKS !

cbemoore
2006-03-02, 10:26
I think it may be related to firmware version.

My SB2 always worked fine with FW28, but doesn't work with FW35.

In both instances I'm using the same Netgear DG834G router as my DNS server.

HTH
Chris

cbemoore
2006-03-02, 17:45
Just to follow up, I've manually assigned an external DNS server and everything is now working correctly.

But I have no idea why the SB2 can't cope with my router being the DNS server....

Thanks to you all for your help
Chris

RiccardoR
2006-03-03, 11:03
I can't connect with SqueezeNetwork also. I'm using an SB3 and a Netgear DG834G but few days ago they works together fine. It is possible that my SB3 is not recognized for the large amount of users that are testing Pandora?
RR

dakotadave
2006-03-05, 12:24
I am having this same problem. I can not connect to the squeezenetwork. I am running 6.2.1 and FW looks to be 28. I have noticed others running 35 now but I have not received it even though auto update is "on." I suppose it is related to the 6.2.2 build? Anyway, I have a D-Link DI-634M with Firmware 2.00.

As you've already noted, your DNS is working fine since you can resolve the squeezenetwork address from your own PC.

I did this successfully also.

My resolution was to manually enter in the network settings on my squeezebox.

So for example.

Make the network address a valid and unique address in your homework.

Keep the subnet mask as the default 255.255.255.0 (unless you have a different setup).

Make the gateway address your router address.

And finally and more importantly, the DNS Server address should not point to your router, but to your ISP assigned addresses..Which in your particular case is 212.159.6.9

I tried this also. In fact, I have tried the router as my DNS Server and both the primary and secondary DNS entries from my service provider. Nothing has worked.

For the record Im using a Netgear DG834G router and I had to manually enter in the DNS server details in order to connect.

No such luck for me. I am SOL until I hear something on this board that addresses this. This would have been a pretty simple or trivial fix/work-around if it worked for me.

stevieweevie
2006-03-10, 17:11
Using 6.2.2 with FW 35, and router firmware V3.01.29.

I manually entered the DNS into the "Basic Settings" of the Router and selected, "Use These DNS Servers", entered the two ISP DNS servers, applied the changes, and power cycled the Squeezebox.

All is well.

Now the tricky part, explaining to my Dear Wife what awaits her behind this menu.

From a router issue, I think this is for Netgear to sort out ... who wants to raise a ticket with them? :)

futura
2006-03-10, 20:25
I too am having the same issue as the others on this forum. Mine ultimately displays "Can't find address"... and such.

I haven't tried to static my DNS entries but will try that. I am using the LinkSys WRT54GL wireless router with mine. And my SqueezeBox has the top 2 DNS entries from my router (which are my ISP's). It's never been set to the actual router address for DNS.

What is odd is that podcasts, internet radio, etc. all resolve correctly - but SqueezeNetwork cannot.

Since it seems like the rest of you have NetGear - does anyone use the same LinkSys - or even any LinkSys and also have this problem?

I will try to static out my network and see how that goes.

Cheers,
Aaron

futura
2006-03-10, 20:55
As I mentioned in my previous post, I was going to try static IP. It seemed to do the trick.

I went static IP, and I specified the first DNS server from my router/ISP list. However, this still didn't work. But then I realized I didn't do the power cycle.

Meanwhile, I had changed the DNS to the third DNS entry from the router/ISP. Then I did a power cycle.

Once again, tried to connect to SqueezeNetworks and voila - connected.

Seems to be the magic fix is:
Static IP and DNS
Power cycle
voila.

I'm on 6.2.1 w/ firmware 28 (or whatever the latest non-beta is as of 3/10/2006)

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Hopefully this will be addressed in an upcoming release.

dakotadave
2006-03-12, 21:59
Ok, I got mine working fine using static IP settings and the DNS address right from my ISP. The problem was, and this sounds dumb, that I had not put the MAC address for my wired Squeezebox into my router yet. WHile that is elementary, I was moving so fast that I had forgotten that my new D-Link router performs MAC filtering (which I use) for "wired" and not just "wireless" unlike Linksys and some others. Still, I would have caught this earlier but I falsely ruled it out as an issue or possible issue in my troubleshooting because I was able through static settings to work just find with the server. I have NO IDEA why I was able to get the SB3 to work fine inside my network and only suffer this issue with SqueezeNetwork. In my mind, I should have been having trouble with the SB3 talking to the Server until I had the MAC address listed on the approved list. I guess somehow the communication between the SlimServer and the SB3 bypassed my MAC filtering, although getting to SqueezeNetwork was sensitive to this.

gorman
2006-03-26, 06:29
Same problem here. Running SB2 with fw 35.

It worked well, then I didn't change anything and it's giving me the same problem others described. Internet Radio plays flawlessly.

The SB2 is connected to the internet on a shared connection with my Slimserver (it has two Ethernet ports, one goes to my ISP minirouter, the other shares the internet connection and goes to a switch to which I connect SB2, Xbox and Xbox 360 which connects to Xbox Live with no problem).

I'm using dynamic IP assigned by the computer on the internal network (so it's something like 192.168.0.12). This is using Windows XP Professional.