PDA

View Full Version : How far will the wireless signal carry?

gohard
2006-03-01, 11:50
I live on 20 acres of woods. would love to use this at the camp fire outputed to a boombox ect... any feedback on how far you can send/recieve signals would be greatly appreciated. also anyone relaying the signal or boosting it to get more distance out of it?

thanks

ezkcdude
2006-03-01, 11:59
You're lucky to get 50 ft with a Wi-fi connection, in my experience, anyway. YMMV.

vain4
2006-03-01, 12:03
i could be wrong but i think the 802.11g spec says 300ft

aubuti
2006-03-01, 12:06
Wireless range depends on so many factors that it's hard to generalize, but I think the theoretical limit for 802.11g is around 100 meters, and in the real world it's likely to be a lot less than that. Also, what were you planning to use to power the Squeezebox?

ezkcdude
2006-03-01, 12:17
i could be wrong but i think the 802.11g spec says 300ft

If specs were flecks (of gold), we'd all be millionaires :)

ChrisOwens
2006-03-01, 13:04
There's a ton of web sites out there (such as http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html) that describe ways to extend the range of your wireless network.

I don't know if anyone's hacked a third-party antenna onto a Squeezebox, but you could at least attach one to your PC!

Christopher Owens
QA Manager
chris@slimdevices.com
(510) 743-1152 x717

gohard
2006-03-02, 06:10
don't know but i will look into portable bateries

iwp
2006-03-02, 07:10
I don't know if anyone's hacked a third-party antenna onto a Squeezebox, but you could at least attach one to your PC!

... I have a NetGear antenna attached to my SB2 (which is probably not necessary for the range I'm using, but at one time it solved some problems for me) and it works a treat. I think the SB3 only has internal antennas though, so it's probably not as simple with the newer hardware :(

Incidentally the antenna is only attached to the SB2 because I've had two wireless bridges fail on me in the past year; so the SB has stepped up to being a bridge as well as a music player - I can't thank SlimDevices enough for throwing this extra feature in!

Ian

snarlydwarf
2006-03-02, 09:06
Well, I've managed to make 802.11b go for 4 miles.

But, then, that was with some very high gain antennas. I don't think you want to have a 3' dish on your squeezebox.

Michaelwagner
2006-03-02, 19:16
I've gotten 802.11b to go most of 200 feet inside my factory, but the last 50 feet or so were at low signal strength. That was a standard Linksys WAP (but not with the supplied antenna - I was using the longer ones you can buy from Linksys) and a laptop card with no antenna.

Through 1 concrete wall and open air for the rest (although with plenty of heavy metal machinery in the intervening space).

If you have one particular place you want to reach in your woods (and it sounds like you do), google for cantenna
(http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-03,GGLD:en&q=cantenna) and check out the first half a dozen listings for the original cantenna and a number of cheap (under $10) DIY alternatives. These are all basically static directional antennas.

Or check out the Belkin Pre-N wireless - these are essentially antenna arrays that are dynamically set to the right direction for your needs.

Be aware that the last is based on a pre-release version of 802.11N (hence the name). The spec isn't finalized yet, and may change in final form, so you *may* wind up with something different from the final standard.

scott_m
2006-03-02, 20:44
I bought a Hawking technology high-gain directional antenna with the intention of replacing the antenna on my wireless router. It turns out the router didn't have a removable antenna, so I ended up putting it on my Squeeze box 2 - which does have a removable antenna. The result is that I stream (with signal strength around 60%) approx. 600 ft from one side of our 10 acre property to the other. In our case, we live at the back of our nursery property, while our computer and dsl connection are at the front of the property. SB2 lets me listen to music and stream internet across the field. Pretty neat trick.

Scott.