PDA

View Full Version : Forget the ipod HiFi, is the new Mac Mini the real SB competitor?

stoobie-doo
2006-02-28, 12:10
Seems to me the Mac Mini is the much more interesting announcement of the day from Apple, especially when viewed in competition with the SB3.

The new Mac Mini appears to be squarely positioned to be able to go on top of the TV or in the stereo rack as a simple solution to connect iTunes and your stored music with the TV and stereo with wifi/GigE to the devices and SPDIF and DVI out to you and me.

Certainly a more expensive solution, and one that supports only a limited number of music formats, and we don't know anything about the sound quality coming out, but it is a solution that may be simpler for a large part of the marketplace to setup and use on a day to day basis.

Very interesting.

CardinalFang
2006-02-28, 13:05
I think you're right, for many people the iPod represents music storage on the move, so what is more natural than a mac mini for the home? Ok, so the mac mini may cost more, but you get a damn fine PC for the money as well.

I hope that Slim don't rest on their laurels and do move the SB further on into audiophile territory where superior performance is a must.

Paul

Michaelwagner
2006-02-28, 17:24
I hope that Slim [...] move the SB further on into audiophile territory where superior performance is a must.
And considerably higher price.
I hope at least the last part of it is something they *don't* do.