PDA

View Full Version : Hardware-based Now Playing horizontal scrolling for SB2/3

NigelMSB
2006-02-28, 11:33
I've been thinking how useful hardware-based horizontal scrolling would be for the Squeezebox player UI, e.g. for lower line text in the Now Playing display. This would be along the same lines as the current SB2/3 menu animations for up/down, left/right and bumping.

I've got 2 SB2s via 54g wi-fi network and I've reduced the scroll pixels to 1 (and the scroll rate correspondingly to 0.0214 and 0.0143 for single and double size, respectively). This makes the display look much nicer when scrolling the Now Playing information. The down-side is the occasional pause in the text due to wi-fi congestion – perhaps every 10 – 20 seconds for a fraction of a second. For me, this slightly spoils the slick look of the Now Playing display (but still better than having the scroll pixels set to 7).

If the SB2/3 hardware could handle the scrolling in hardware, there’d be no pausing. I know Slim Devices is called that for a reason - and this *is* an increase in the ‘thickness’ of the SB2/2 - but it’s only a small increase in client functionality along the lines of the existing animation.

I’ll probably create an enhancement request for it anyway, but I though I’d make sure I’m not missing something really obvious. Any thoughts?

kdf
2006-02-28, 12:00
Quoting NigelMSB <NigelMSB.23yddb1141152601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> I’ll probably create an enhancement request for it anyway, but I
> though I’d make sure I’m not missing something really
> obvious. Any thoughts?

more or less what this one is getting at:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=936

-k

NigelMSB
2006-02-28, 16:04
Quoting NigelMSB <NigelMSB.23yddb1141152601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Iíll probably create an enhancement request for it anyway, but I
> though Iíd make sure Iím not missing something really
> obvious. Any thoughts?

more or less what this one is getting at:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=936

-k
Dang! Missed it. I'll add my vote to that one.

I guess comment #2 is redundant since we already have menu item animation. Or is that talking about something else?