PDA

View Full Version : Streaming over internet with Treo problem.

AirData
2006-02-27, 12:38
Since the Treo is served up a new IP address from time to time I get a bunch of new IPs in the Slimserver address drop-down menu in the web interface.

I understand that there are ways in the convert.conf to set the IP or MAC address of a device but I can't find out what the MAC address of my Treo is or even if it is has one since it is not WIFI. Also, would it be possible to use a wildcard in the IP address to stop this. Something like, 70.12.*.* It seems that the first two numbers never change so this could work if Slimserver would use it.

Otherwise this works pretty good by using a low bitrate.

TIA for any solutions.

Sam

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-02, 15:45
Doesn't the Treo have any sort of utility to list its MAC address? Like System Settings or something?

I'm sure there are other applications to determine MAC addresses, but one that works for me is AirSnare (http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/). Although it's intended to identify wireless intruders, it will list all MAC addresses on your network. Connect your Treo to your home network and since you can determine the MAC address of your router, your modem, all your computers and all your Squeezeboxes you can determine the Treo's MAC address by process of elimination.

Sorry, no idea regarding your other questions.

AirData
2006-03-03, 09:42
There is network settings in the preferences panel but it only shows the IP address, gateway address, and DNS addresses. My understanding is that the Treo does not have a MAC address but obtains one from the wireless carrier. I don't know if that MAC address changes each time or not and don't know how to get it either.

Thanks for you help.

cjhabs
2006-03-03, 10:24
There is network settings in the preferences panel but it only shows the IP address, gateway address, and DNS addresses. My understanding is that the Treo does not have a MAC address but obtains one from the wireless carrier. I don't know if that MAC address changes each time or not and don't know how to get it either.

Thanks for you help.

I don't know anything about the Treo, but the MAC address is tied to the hardware chip that is used to access the TCP/IP network (wired or wireless). Some devices, such as routers, are able to spoof MAC addresses, but I've never heard of a device getting a MAC address from another device.

The MAC address should never change as its tied to the hardware.

Habs

AirData
2006-03-03, 10:36
Well, I don't know much about the Treo's inner workings either but don't forget this is a phone, not a networking device like a router or computer or WIFI. I'm not saying you are wrong... I don't know myself. So, I'm trying to find a way to find the MAC address so I can make it work better with Slimserver :) Or, use a wildcard IP address something like 70.18.*.*

I have looked in the prefs and shows the normal network stuff except for a MAC address.

Anyway, thanks!

cjhabs
2006-03-03, 10:44
Well, I don't know much about the Treo's inner workings either but don't forget this is a phone, not a networking device like a router or computer or WIFI. I'm not saying you are wrong... I don't know myself. So, I'm trying to find a way to find the MAC address so I can make it work better with Slimserver :) Or, use a wildcard IP address something like 70.18.*.*

I have looked in the prefs and shows the normal network stuff except for a MAC address.

Anyway, thanks!

If its connected to your network, your router status should show the MAC addresses of the connected devices.

Habs

mikeb
2006-03-03, 18:24
cjhabs wrote:
> AirData Wrote:
>> There is network settings in the preferences panel but it only shows the
>> IP address, gateway address, and DNS addresses. My understanding is that
>> the Treo does not have a MAC address but obtains one from the wireless
>> carrier. I don't know if that MAC address changes each time or not and
>> don't know how to get it either.
>>
>> Thanks for you help.
>
> I don't know anything about the Treo, but the MAC address is tied to
> the hardware chip that is used to access the TCP/IP network (wired or
> wireless). Some devices, such as routers, are able to spoof MAC
> addresses, but I've never heard of a device getting a MAC address from
> another device.
>
> The MAC address should never change as its tied to the hardware.
>
> Habs
>
>

As far as I know, all cell carrier TCP/IP connectivity uses PPP at
Layer 2. There is no such thing as a MAC address in PPP. Read
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1661.txt?number=1661 for more info.

My suggestion to solve your problem would be to point the Treo
software you are using to access the stream or web interface at a
bouncer or proxy. That way that address will be the only one that
shows up once the request hits slimserver.

Options -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Set Proxy in Blazer will get you
a proxy. I'm sure there are plenty of proxy servers for whatever OSes
you have in your house.

Check out datapipe for bouncing. A quick google showed me;

http://www.bovine.net/~jlawson/coding/datapipe/

C version and Windows EXE. Set that up on a computer somewhere that
doesn't access slimserver (or on a virtual IP that doesn't access
slimserver), then use that to bounce all requests from your phone
through so a single IP always appears.

I'm sure there are others (or you could write your own pretty easily
if you're in Unix / Mac OS), that's just the one I've used for years
when I need to do something of this sort.

--mikeb