PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer on Vista



nelamvr6
2006-02-27, 10:57
Looking ahead, I can't help but wonder if Slim is preparing for Vista.

I currently have SlimServer running without any problems on WinXP 64 Bit. But I don't know if this guarantees that it will run in Vista.

Are you guys preparing for the new OS? It is supposed to be on the streets sometime in the second half of '06.

joncourage
2006-02-27, 11:07
Is Slim on XP 64 any faster?

I'd imagine since it wasn't specifically designed as a 64bit app there might not really be much of a difference?

jimdibb
2006-02-27, 11:37
Isn't it in perl? So, if perl is faster, it will be faster. Maybe the DB
engine is faster too.

To the original poster, since it's in perl, why wouldn't it just work on
vista?

On 2/27/06, joncourage <
joncourage.23whbc1141064402 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Is Slim on XP 64 any faster?
>
> I'd imagine since it wasn't specifically designed as a 64bit app there
> might not really be much of a difference?
>
>
> --
> joncourage
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> joncourage's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2837
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21557
>
>

dean
2006-02-27, 11:53
It's written in Perl, but the perl runtime _may_ need to be updated,
but it's unlikely.

There's a chance that we can make it faster by using a Vista-
optimized version, but that depends on an updated version from
ActiveState.

On Feb 27, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Jim Dibb wrote:

> Isn't it in perl? So, if perl is faster, it will be faster. Maybe
> the DB engine is faster too.
>
> To the original poster, since it's in perl, why wouldn't it just
> work on vista?
>
> On 2/27/06, joncourage <joncourage.23whbc1141064402@no-
> mx.forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Is Slim on XP 64 any faster?
>
> I'd imagine since it wasn't specifically designed as a 64bit app there
> might not really be much of a difference?
>
>
> --
> joncourage
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> joncourage's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=2837
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21557
>
>

JohnQuirk
2006-02-27, 16:19
Slimserver seems to run fine on the latest Vista release already. It's too early to say anything about performance however...

nelamvr6
2006-02-27, 17:47
Is Slim on XP 64 any faster?

I'd imagine since it wasn't specifically designed as a 64bit app there might not really be much of a difference?

It actually runs under "WoW" or "Windows on Windows", a compatibility mode. In other words, it's running as a 32 bit application.

But even if it was native 64 I wouldn't know if it was running any faster since I've never run it on anything but WinXP 64 bit.

nelamvr6
2006-02-27, 17:49
Slimserver seems to run fine on the latest Vista release already. It's too early to say anything about performance however...

well that's good to know. It'll probably run fine on the final shrink wrap then.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-02, 09:39
Would Vista's embedded DRM play havoc with music files SlimServer accesses, I wonder?

I also remember reading about a hardware chip on new motherboards that enables a hardware DRM lock that Vista will use.

raminf
2006-03-02, 13:21
Slimserver seems to run fine on the latest Vista release already. It's too early to say anything about performance however...

I just tried installing the 6.5b (v2006-03-02 nightly) build on the latest Vista beta (build 5308). It got to the end of the install then gave an error message about not being able to copy the perl58.dll file. I went ahead and installed the ActiveState Perl package then copied the perl58.dll file into the SlimServer directory (both top-level and the server/bin/MSWin32-x86-multi-thread directory). The taskbar icon comes up and says it's running, but when I try to bring up the browser window I get a 'can not establish connection' error. Naturally, I thought it was the built-in firewall so I shut it down entirely. Still no go.

Will keep trying but if anyone has any tips, would appreciate it.