PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Freezes on version 6.5

rick's cafe
2006-02-27, 04:08
Not sure if there is a bug but over the weekend I upgraded SS from 6.2.1 to 6.5 and from firmware 28 to 35.

Connections are established with with SS and SN but I have noticed that when the SB3 is turned off (and the clock is running as screensaver) after a while the unit freezes ..the clock stops keeping time and I cannot power up the unit without first unplugging it... any idea what may be the cause of this?

only other fact which happened is that I also installed Lazy search plugin and had to stop and restart SS for the plugin to take effect.. not sure if this is a part of the cause..

any ideas are appreciated

etychon
2006-02-27, 08:32
It does not help... but I have exactly the same problem with 6.2.1 and a squeezeBox 2, while SqueezeBox 3 seems to not hang.

I can mitigate this problem by using another Squeeze screensaver, like the RSS feed for instance. The "Time" screensaver makes it hang almost one day out of two.

Emmanuel

rick's cafe
2006-02-28, 14:15
Havent tried to change screensaver yet..but the SB3 simply hangs about once everyday.. I like the time and date screensaver the most and would like to continue using it, but it is a real bother that each day I have to force a restart by removing and replacing the power cord.

Is this issue a known bug or does anyone else have any experiece in fixing the issue?

Millwood
2006-03-02, 11:53
I'm seeing similar hangs with 6.2.2 and Firmware 35. I've opened bug 3093

In my case, the hung SB can't be pinged but does claim to have a wireless connection.

It doesn't depend on the powered off screensaver - it happens while playing with the now playing screen saver.

Siduhe
2006-03-02, 11:56
I'm seeing similar hangs with 6.2.2 and Firmware 35. I've opened bug 3093

In my case, the hung SB can't be pinged but does claim to have a wireless connection.

It doesn't depend on the powered off screensaver - it happens while playing with the now playing screen saver.

Ditto me with yesterday's nightly for 6.2.2. Had no such problems with <33. I was planning to install the latest nightly and try and capture some log output - if I get anything will add to your bug.

[Edit - sorry - just realised this is in the beta forum...]

rick's cafe
2006-03-02, 12:01
I too opened a bug 3080

also went thru big hassles trying to scale back to 6.2.2 .. got all messed up and then had to uninstall SS and reload 6.2.1 which I am now running with FW 35

I would like to upgrade to 6.2.2 but am afraid aI'll mess up once again.. I posted a thread in the beginers asking for help or advice on upgrading SS.. is there a help guide or wiki for it.. have not been able to find one

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-15, 11:20
I am using the RSS Plugin instead of the clock and had exactly the same problem. The SB3 freezes after running for 24 hours or so and wont respond to any input until I stop and restart the Slimserver process.

I've just installed a new nightly to see if it's any better :)

kdf
2006-03-15, 11:30
Quoting fairyliquidizer
<fairyliquidizer.24q47n1142447102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I am using the RSS Plugin instead of the clock and had exactly the same
> problem.

I had filed a bug on this one a while back:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2640

but was unable to reproduce after a fix about a month ago. It's back,
but hard to reproduce when I'm able to spend time debugging. a
reliable case would be useful.
-k

Robin Bowes
2006-03-15, 14:33
fairyliquidizer wrote:
> I am using the RSS Plugin instead of the clock and had exactly the same
> problem. The SB3 freezes after running for 24 hours or so and wont
> respond to any input until I stop and restart the Slimserver process.
>
> I've just installed a new nightly to see if it's any better :)

I see something similar. What happens if you hold down left arrow? Or
hold down the power button? Both of these work in may case, i.e. it's
not a "hard" lock up.

R.

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-16, 05:02
There is no response from the remote control unfortunately. I upgraded yesterday to the latest nightly and so far I am ok.... I'll let you know.

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-17, 03:37
SlimServer Version: 6.5b1 - 6594 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252

Froze again. I was wrong holding the power button down does reset the client. However if you try to reconnect to the server without restarting it the SB will hang at the connecting phase (select a music source). A hard power cycle is needed to reset at this stage.

What debugging options should help? Where is log.txt stored?

Fairy

Triode
2006-03-17, 11:16
Some suggestions:
- Can you ping thr player from the server?
- Does the player show up as a connected client on the server web page? [latest server code should automatically forget clients which aren't seen for 5 minutes]
- is there an active control connection to the client [enable network health and look at its web page]
- does "netstat" on the server machine show any TCP sessions to the client
- can you start a network test to this player from the 6.5 Network Health web page?

govardha
2006-03-19, 08:21
I am running into the same problem. I moved to 6.5b1 and the firmware on the SB3 is 35. It seems to totally freeze up at least once everyday.

In my case it is a hard freeze. The SServer doesn't see it, I can't soft power down and power back on either. The only fix is to reboot the SB3 and things seem to be fine again.

Is there anyway for me to revert back to the older firmware(whatever it was).

In response to Triode:
- I cannot ping the player
- The player does not show up as a connected client in the web front end
- I don't see any outbound connections.

I haven't tried the network test, and will give it a whirl when it freezes the next time around.

Gov

Triode
2006-03-19, 08:38
govardha,

As you can't ping the player (which I assume you can when it is working) and there is no control connection, I think this means the problem is to do with the network/player rather than slimserver.

This does not seem to be the same problem as the one seen by others as you can restart the player without restarting slimserver and all is OK?

govardha
2006-03-19, 08:57
Physically unplugging the power connection to the SB3 device and restarting it seems to work. There are no network problems in my home, as a laptop, 2 tivo's and my Macintosh all of which are connected wirelessly perform flawlessly.

I will try to ping when the SB3 freezes up once more and let you guys know.

I did not have the problem with the stock firmware, the problem started showing up only when I moved to 6.5b1 which prompted the SB3 device to also upgrade to 35.

Is there a mechanism to move back to the old firmware? I don't want to go through the install of a couple of plugins which I have installed for this build of the server build.

Gov

Triode
2006-03-19, 09:06
I suggest you raise a bug against the firmware to ensure this is investigated.

As for loading the old firmware. As long as the old file exists in the Firmware directory, you can edit the squeezebox2.version file to replace 35 with 28.

Millwood
2006-03-19, 12:28
Can you post the details of your wireless setup.

How many access points - what kind.

B or G or Mixed.

If Mixed - all G devices or mixed.

Have you tried holding the power button down until the SB reboots rather than unplugging. That has worked for similar problems reported in the forums and in bug 3093

govardha
2006-03-19, 14:33
My situation does sound similar to what bug 3093 is. My router is a Linksys 54wrtg. I connect 2 tivos(B), a laptop(B), iMac(G) and the SB3(G). At any given time, for most part it is the iMac and the SB3 that are always connected. When I checked the signal strength it is at 82%.

Holding down the power button in the remote doesn't seem to help. The only fix seems to be the hard reboot by unplugging power. I am not sure where I can find the firmware.version file?, Any pointers?

Gov

Millwood
2006-03-19, 17:06
You say the power button doesn't help. Do you mean it doesn't eventually reboot (you have to be patient) or do you mean that after the reboot it still can't connect?

There is a firmware subdirectory of the server directory that contains the firmware and firmware control files.

govardha
2006-03-19, 18:34
Millwood,

I tried holding down the power button for about 10 seconds and nothing happens. At this time, I go ahead and unplug the power and reboot the SB3 unit after which things work fine.

My server runs on MacOS X, and I am not sure where the server directory is. The only directory that I have mucked around with is ~/Library/SlimDevices. I don't see anything in /Applications.

Please clarify.

Govardhanen

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-20, 13:25
In response to Triode:
- I cannot ping the player
- The player does not show up as a connected client in the web front end
- I don't see any outbound connections.

ditto

I'm trying scripting a restart of the server at 5 am every morning.

I run Lazysearch, slimscrobbler, and last FM plugins and use MMM as the data source. My standby screensaver is the RSS feed reader.

I haven't had this problem on other versions including previous 6.5b nightlys on Linux.

My wireless router is a WRT54G in mixed mode although the hangs happen when I don't have any other wireless clients connected.

Triode
2006-03-20, 13:37
Re pings - can you ping the player normally? [I can't see how lack of pings can be fixed by restarting the server process - just want to confirm what is going on here]

I think there is more than one issue here and we need to be sure to separate them. If pings normally work and then stop, this should have no relationship to the slimserver process as it relies on the network, server OS and player.

If the server process needs resetting then we need to understand what is going on - may be worth turning on debug of slimprot: --d_slimproto.

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-20, 16:29
yeah it pings just fine at the moment

govardha
2006-03-26, 16:06
I had posted about the freeze problems last weekend, unfortunately I was not able to use the system during the course of the week to get back to this thread earlier.

I have been using the system actively this weekend and I have had the Sb3 freeze up issue happen once again. I am able to ping the ip address just fine, but the device is frozen with the clock stuck. A power cycle using the "power" button in the remote seems to fix the problem and everything seems peachy once again.

Gov

fairyliquidizer
2006-03-27, 13:10
strangely mine froze just before I left for a trip down Kintyre. I've came back now and it seams to have restarted at some point here's the log

http://www.liquidizer.net/log.txt

Apteryx
2006-03-28, 02:00
I have a setup with 3xSB's in the following configuration:

Upstairs : 2xSB2 wirelessly connected via a Netgear WG602 access point accepting 802.11g only, SBs are operating firmware 35.

Downstairs : 1xSB1 wirelessly connected via a Netgear WGR614v5 Router on 802.11b (mixed mode), SB is operating firmware 40.

SlimServer : 6.5b1 - 6710 - Linux - EN - utf8

Since upgrading to this version of server and firmware (SB2), everyday when I come home from work, the SB2's have "hung" requiring a hardware reset, while the SB1 and server are fine. Nothing else uses the wireless network except my office PC which is off during the day when these devices fail.

Guess this points squarely at the firmware?

Triode
2006-03-28, 11:32
Is there a bug open for this regarding 6.5? I think there are multiple issues on this thread - and have recently started to see one myself so want to try to separate them out.

For me it looks like a server problem:
- running 6.5 recent svn
- player off with Rss screen saver running
- player locks up with a "frozen display" at some point
- player is not listed in the list of attached players on the web interface
- netstat shows an active TCP session on the slimprot port to the player
- still possible to ping player
- debug d_slimproto [set running before the problem] shows:

2006-03-28 02:03:15.4644 Slimproto connection closed by peer in readable.
2006-03-28 02:03:15.4651 Slimproto connection closed
2006-03-28 07:47:23.7647 Client not found for slimproto msg op: IR
2006-03-28 07:47:23.8725 Client not found for slimproto msg op: IR

Top half of this shows that the server thinks the player has disconnected. The second bit shows it still receives IR commands, but as it thinks the player has disconnect it ignores them.

If anyone's case is slimilar to this I will add this to your bug. Otherwise I will create a new one to track.

kdf
2006-03-28, 11:39
Quoting Triode <Triode.25e7cb1143570901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> - running 6.5 recent svn
> - player off with Rss screen saver running
> - player locks up with a "frozen display" at some point

bug2640 applies to the above

> - player is not listed in the list of attached players on the web
> interface

not seen this myself.

> - netstat shows an active TCP session on the slimprot port to the
> player

haven't ever had a chance to test

> - still possible to ping player

yup, probably still applicable to 2640

> - debug d_slimproto [set running before the problem] shows:

never managed to actually have it on and then GET the bug to happen.
Once it does, it is too late to change debug (94% cpu and web just
doesn't respond in time for my patience)

One note, however, is that this doesn't seem to be a HARD 94%. I run
slimserver on a MythTV box and if it is recording there is a good
percentage allocated to that process and slimserver simply takes the
rest. clocks displaying on other players will update every 10-20
seconds...so things are alive...barely.
-k

Triode
2006-03-28, 12:01
Actually didn't see 100% cpu in my case, so think my case is probably a different issue. I think Rss is coincidental, but a good way to check the server is still connected.

BTW, Andy's recent timer code includes a bt() which is enabled with d_time so if you do see something running at 100%, but the server is still responsive try enabling d_time and seeing if it is due to a single timer.

MrC
2006-03-28, 12:12
I also saw this not too long ago, but it was not with RSS, it was with the SuperDateTime screensaver scrolling its info. I thought perhaps it was the screensaver at that time, but now believe its the same bug as this.

gregklanderman
2006-03-28, 13:01
>>>>> MrC <MrC.25e96z1143573301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> I also saw this not too long ago, but it was not with RSS, it was with
> the SuperDateTime screensaver scrolling its info. I thought perhaps it
> was the screensaver at that time, but now believe its the same bug as
> this.

I've seen it in "off" (date/time) mode. I don't run any plugins.

greg

kdf
2006-03-28, 13:38
Quoting Triode <Triode.25e8qb1143572702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Actually didn't see 100% cpu in my case, so think my case is probably a
> different issue. I think Rss is coincidental, but a good way to check
> the server is still connected.

coincidence, perhaps...but I've never seen it freeze without. I leave
all players off with the clock. If any are left on but in idle, it
eventually freezes, maybe days later, maybe minutes.

> BTW, Andy's recent timer code includes a bt() which is enabled with
> d_time so if you do see something running at 100%, but the server is
> still responsive try enabling d_time and seeing if it is due to a
> single timer.

that would be great except that d_time is chatty, and whenever I've
turned on logging...it doesn't happen. Once it happens without
logging, it is too late to turn it on. :)

kdf
2006-03-28, 13:40
Quoting MrC <MrC.25e96z1143573301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I also saw this not too long ago, but it was not with RSS, it was with
> the SuperDateTime screensaver scrolling its info. I thought perhaps it
> was the screensaver at that time, but now believe its the same bug as
> this.

I've often tried to sort out whether it was a scrolling issue or an
http issue. The rss stoppage was right after grabbing the data, so I
was hoping that the simpleAsync changes would help when they got to
the rss plugin. If not, then scrolling starts to look like a greater
possiblity. If you see it with superDate and scrolling, it might be
hinting at something. Does yours freeze right at the start of the
scroll too?

-k

MrC
2006-03-28, 14:24
If you see it with superDate and scrolling, it might be
hinting at something. Does yours freeze right at the start of the
scroll too?

I couldn't say for sure. I never use RSS so that's out as a possibiity for my case. SuperDate time was running as usual, and later I noticed that scrolling was locked up. It recall it to be mid-scroll, but can't be certain anymore. It might have scrolled for hours, or only once - sorry, I just don't know.

It has happened only once, with only 1 of 2 systems, and I chalked it up to one of those hard-to-find bugs and simply power-cycled.

Triode
2006-03-28, 15:02
Kdf,

that would be great except that d_time is chatty, and whenever I've
turned on logging...it doesn't happen. Once it happens without
logging, it is too late to turn it on. :)
Agreed - but for the case I have seen (but not reproduced again), the main loop is still spinning (just too fast), you can go in and enable d_time via the web interface while the server is stuck in this mode. This enables you to see which timer is not completing. This was the reason I suggested adding it...

kdf
2006-03-28, 15:08
seems like at least more than one bug in that case. I'm just not sure
how many or where to split it. Certainly my case, given in bug 2640
is not solved by a simple power cycle on the player side. It does
come back and connect, but ends up just as stuck after that.

I haven't given up on testing, however.
-k

Triode
2006-03-28, 15:33
To be clear [if this is possible]:

- My Rss freeze problem does not show high cpu and hence is not related to a timer problem
- I have had what I think is timer related high cpu - hence the suggestion to turn on d_time if you see this. But it not the bug freeze I am seeing...

Now if only the problem would come back I could try to fix it...

It did - bug 3226 opened to track my problems.

Triode
2006-03-31, 10:50
Anyone seeing freezes which result in the player not appearing in the server web page, but still being able to ping the player, may wish to try svn 6766 or later to see if this problem goes away. [issue documented in bug 3226]

I am reasonably certain that there are other issues being discussed on this thread, so this is unlikely to help if you don't see the above symptoms....

govardha
2006-04-08, 06:40
What does svn 6776 mean? I am running build 35 and it freezes almost on a daily basis and I need to reboot. I am able to ping the SB3 just fine. I am not sure whether I want to upgrade to build 37 if it does not specifically address the freeze up issues?

Any thoughts? How do I revert back to the stable version of the firmware if I don't have one locally?

Thanks
Gov