PDA

View Full Version : Discrete Codes

timmorris
2006-02-26, 10:12
Yes I have searched!

Squeezebox 3 with Slimserver 6.2.2. Is there anything I have to do to get discrete codes working? I've put together a pcf for my RU-950 based on a few I've downloaded from the plug-ins page but the Squeezebox doesn't respond to any of the discrete codes.

Tim

timmorris
2006-02-26, 10:58
Found the answer!

I'm surprised that the default .ir file doesn't have the discrete codes included - I can't imagine many people not using a system remote with the Squeezebox.

While it is fantastic out of the box and I'm really enjoying tweaking it, it isn't a product for the faint hearted. I can't imagine many of my non-computer literate friends being able to cope with even adding the BBC plug-in. Even the tech guys at my local home cinema installers would struggle.

In the last couple of days I've "sold" this to three people - I guess I'm going to have to be doing the setting up for them!

Tim

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-02-26, 11:22
>Found the answer!
>
>I'm surprised that the default .ir file doesn't have the discrete codes
>included - I can't imagine many people not using a system remote with
>the Squeezebox.

Where are they?

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

stinkingpig
2006-02-26, 11:42
>
> Found the answer!
>
> I'm surprised that the default .ir file doesn't have the discrete codes
> included - I can't imagine many people not using a system remote with
> the Squeezebox.
>
> While it is fantastic out of the box and I'm really enjoying tweaking
> it, it isn't a product for the faint hearted. I can't imagine many of
> my non-computer literate friends being able to cope with even adding
> the BBC plug-in. Even the tech guys at my local home cinema installers
> would struggle.
>
> In the last couple of days I've "sold" this to three people - I guess
> I'm going to have to be doing the setting up for them!
>

I gotta say, installing the BBC plugin and editing the remote map are
pretty advanced usage :) I've installed AlienBBC but hardly ever use it,
and I've never messed with the remote map.

The thing to remember about a flexible product like Slimserver is that the
ease-of-use stuff is focused on core functionality -- imagine a house
where the housecleaners keep the front half nice, but there's a
construction project going on in the back.
--
Jack Coates At Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin, so across the Western
ocean I must wander" - traditional

timmorris
2006-02-26, 13:02
Where are they?

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

The remote configuration files are in the plug-in area. Some of them have a .ir file included - the simplest way to do it is to find a replacement Slim_Devices_Remote.ir and overwrite the existing file in C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\IR (Bruce Hartley's config (BH_9200) has the .ir file and a spreadsheet listing the custom IR functions for the Pronto family of remotes).

Tim

timmorris
2006-02-28, 03:37
Can anyone point me in the direction of a Pronto CCF which uses the JVC codes. The Slimserver remote codes work fine when transmitted by IR, but I have a ceiling mounted RF->IR converter so that I don't have to point my remote at the equipment stack (it also allows me to control lights and change satellite channels from any room in the house), and when I do certain commands don't work properly.

I'm happy to create my own map, but as I understand it the Squeezebox won't work with RC5 codes. What about RC6?

While I'm at it is there a list of commands that the Squeezebox responds to so that perhaps I can add a few discretes of my own?

Tim

timmorris
2006-02-28, 08:15
Yet again I've managed to find the solution. The latest version of ProntoEdit NG has a "duration" option per button press. By setting that to .2 secs it stops it sending two keypresses instead of one when going through the RF-IR converter. Much easier than editing the raw IR codes as I've done in the past (I was an early adopter - pre ordered my original TS-1000 from Jack Schulz and managed to get the first one to hit UK shores)

I'll find the optimum setting (using Newton's method) and then edit the entire file and upload it somewhere. My graphics aren't particularly clever - I use the default set from the RC-5200, adopted from Daniel Tonks's first custom buttons for the original TS-1000 but the IR codes are stored on seperate buttons adapted from Jonathan Schalliol's TS-2000 CCF. One great thing about the NG prontos is that the extra hard buttons generally mean you can cut the number of panels in half.

One of these days I'll get around to using the native graphics of the 950!

I'm really enjoying playing with the Squeezebox and becoming part of the community. Do a search on my posts and you'll find that I appear to have discovered a number of problems and solutions since last Thursday when I first loaded the software.

What a fantastic bit of kit!

Tim