PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Linux: Cannot scan library

dhunt
2006-02-25, 19:59
I'm a double newbie... I recently discovered squeezebox and bought one, and then decided that this would be a good time to learn Linux. I'm not so sure I should have tried both at the same time.

Anyway... Linux is installed and I'm crawling through it. I finally got Slimserver installed (using tips I gained through the forum) but now cannot get Slimserver to find the music that I recently ripped to my new Linux box.

I found another post that suggested it could be a permissions problem... I checked that, and with my little Linux experience I don't think that's it.

I go into the management interface and specify my music library as "/home/dhunt/music" and tell it to rescan my for new songs, and it doesn't find a thing. I've also tried to add a "/" after "music" and get the same results. I'm now stumped.

dhunt
2006-02-25, 20:07
I had to add "Execute" rights to the "others" category.

FWIW I'm running Debian.

notanatheist
2006-02-25, 20:19
Are you running Slimserver as "root" (not safe) or as user? Are you running a desktop on your linux box so you can launch something like XMMS to see if you can play back your music there? File extensions? I'd be happy to take a poke at it via SSH. Don't give your passwords on the forums though. Is it safe to assume you have high speed internet and a router? Do you know how to open a port? 22 or any other port forwarded to 22 on your linux box will allow outside access. If that's something you're willing to give a shot bring up a terminal (console) and type "dmesg |grep sshd". If you get a return of two lines then you have SSH running and are a step closer to having remote help.

Oops, posted a few minutes too late.

methane
2006-04-18, 09:03
Newb here,
I cannot find in the documentation a reason to set the permissions to execute for these files. Can someone clue me in? It seems like they should only need read permission. Do they need write permission as well? What if I use a plugin that might change the tags? To get it working (this morning, so I did it fast) I had to do 'chmod -R 777 *' on my directory. that's just ugly.

Thanks,
Brad

MrC
2006-04-18, 09:18
I cannot find in the documentation a reason to set the permissions to execute for these files. Can someone clue me in? It seems like they should only need read permission.

Directories need eXamine permission (its not execute, as that makes no sense for directories) if you want to traverse into them. Only then can you use that directory as part of a path to access file system entities inside.

Do they need write permission as well?

No

What if I use a plugin that might change the tags?

Then you would.

To get it working (this morning, so I did it fast) I had to do 'chmod -R 777 *' on my directory. that's just ugly.

Depending on what user/group your slimserver is running as, you need to ensure that that user/group can read the files and directories, and that all directories have x permissionfor that user/group.

methane
2006-04-18, 10:37
Thanks for the tips. I didn't have time to set up the groups I want this morning, but I'm planning on getting it all worked out when I get home.

Regards,
Brad