PDA

View Full Version : "Can't connect to SlimServer"

fsoares
2006-02-25, 18:14
After all the steps are done and a message tells that setup is complete, I invariably get the message "Problem: Can't connect to SlimServer".
My server (computer) is on, but the Squeezebox/MusicPlayer pane says "Your player was not found".

What should I do?!

davep
2006-02-25, 18:21
Do you have a firewall enabled? If you are on XP SP2 it may be on without you knowing it. Slimserver needs a couple of ports open to talk to the SB.

davep

Flatpik
2006-02-25, 23:56
I have exactly the same problem (win 2000). I have Zone Alarm, but even turning it off doesn't fix. Dead in the water.

Mike

danco
2006-02-26, 01:03
I don't use Windows, but have seen some threads regarding Zone Alarm. Apparently it needs to be removed, not just switched off. I'm not sure if you can then re-install it.

Rather than rely on me, try searching for Zone Alarm to learn more.

fsoares
2006-02-26, 04:11
I am using Mac OSX v. 10.4.5.
I guess the problem is with encryptation, but don't know how to solve it: I choose "128 bit WEP" and provide as WEP key the 10 digit equivalent network password (WEP key) found under "base station" in the "configure" button of the Airport Administration Utility. But the Squeezebox prompt has 26 digits! Should I put zeros in the beginning or in the end (I have tried both)?

danco
2006-02-26, 05:35
I can't remember the answer to this. I know I had it working ages ago. I think that the 26 digit number can be found somewhere in the Airport Admin Utility, or just possibly in the Network panel of System Preferences. Looking at Apple's site, you should get the 26 digit password by the method you tried, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

What base station and software are you using? Current (and maybe earlier) software for Airport Extreme permits WPA, which is more secure and works fine. There are several versions of WPA, I am using WPA2 Personal which seems ok despite the note on the router page of the wiki, but the simpler WPA TKIP is still better (and easier) than WEP.

Siduhe
2006-02-26, 05:57
I have exactly the same problem (win 2000). I have Zone Alarm, but even turning it off doesn't fix. Dead in the water.

Mike

Slimserver works fine with ZoneAlarm - it is AlienBBC (a plugin for Slimserver) that is a bit more troublesome.

What version of ZoneAlarm - one with an inbuilt firewall ? If the issue is a firewall one - turning off ZoneAlarm won't do it - there is a sneaky feature called something like TrueVector which means the firewall functions are active even when the program itself is disabled.

Couple of suggestions - have you included the IP address of your Slimserver into your Trusted Zone ?

Depending on the version of ZoneAlarm you are using, have you told it to allow Slimserver to act as a server ? [blue box flashes up when you first try to connect]

Also, have you enabled the relevant ports (3483 and 9000) in your router ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

Edited to say - one more thought on the "Player not found" problem at the top of this thread. You're not still logged into Squeezenetwork on the player are you ? If so, you won't see the player until you log out of SN and refresh.

Flatpik
2006-02-26, 10:52
Siduhe - Thanks - these sound like promising clues.

I don't know how to determine the IP address of Slim Server. Is this the address that is automatically assigned during setup or something else? How does one find this address?

I also don't know how to enable ports 3483 and 9000, but at least now I have something to search for. It sure would be nice if Slim Devices included this stuff in their basic instructions.

Best - Mike

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-26, 12:21
Siduhe - Thanks - these sound like promising clues.

I don't know how to determine the IP address of Slim Server. Is this the address that is automatically assigned during setup or something else? How does one find this address?

On the SlimServer computer, Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt - type "ipconfig".

I also don't know how to enable ports 3483 and 9000, but at least now I have something to search for. It sure would be nice if Slim Devices included this stuff in their basic instructions.

Best - Mike

These do not have to be port-forwarded in your router, not unless you want external (Internet) access to your SlimServer. But you need to allow these ports through your firewall.

Simply listing SlimServer as a trusted application, giving it server rights and putting your Squeezebox IP address as a trusted address should work fine though.

Flatpik
2006-02-26, 13:41
OK - The IP address for the PC is assigned dynanmically and I've set the Squeezebox to obtain an IP Address automatically. (so I shouldn't need to enter that manually during setup)

Slim Server.exe has full permissions - four checks - in Zone Alarm.

Squeezebox can connect to the wireless network and obtain an IP address, but still can't connect to the Slim Server. Slim Server can't see the Squeezebox.

When when checking "Current Settings" on the Squeezebox, the Subnet Mask is shown as 255.255.000.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, but I can't find a way to correct this.

What do you think?

Thanks - Mike

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-26, 13:53
Well, I don't know. That should have worked.

Check the ZoneAlarm log. Maybe something isn't as you think it is. The Squeezebox is very persistent - it attempts to connect every 5 seconds. If ZA is still blocking it, it will fill your log.

dean
2006-02-26, 14:13
On Feb 26, 2006, at 3:11 AM, fsoares wrote:
> I am using Mac OSX v. 10.4.5.
> I guess the problem is with encryptation, but don't know how to solve
> it: I choose "128 bit WEP" and provide as WEP key the 10 digit
> equivalent network password (WEP key) found under "base station" in
> the
> "configure" button of the Airport Administration Utility. But the
> Squeezebox prompt has 26 digits! Should I put zeros in the
> beginning or
> in the end (I have tried both)?
If you only have 10 digits in your WEP key, then you should have
selected 64-bit WEP on the Squeezebox. Press LEFT to go back and
switch to that, then you'll only have 10 digits to enter.

-dean

danco
2006-02-27, 00:32
But you need to allow these ports through your firewall.

Simply listing SlimServer as a trusted application, giving it server rights and putting your Squeezebox IP address as a trusted address should work fine though.

Does this mean that one needs to use a static address for the SB? Because if it is dynamically assigned, and the address is set to be trusted, it may change later.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-27, 11:37
Does this mean that one needs to use a static address for the SB? Because if it is dynamically assigned, and the address is set to be trusted, it may change later.

Actually you can put in a range of addresses in ZoneAlarm. Put your entire DHCP pool in there and you're covered.

However I am a big fan of static IP addresses. I find they solve more issues than they create.

mwoodroof
2006-02-28, 08:10
OK - The IP address for the PC is assigned dynanmically and I've set the Squeezebox to obtain an IP Address automatically. (so I shouldn't need to enter that manually during setup)

Slim Server.exe has full permissions - four checks - in Zone Alarm.

Squeezebox can connect to the wireless network and obtain an IP address, but still can't connect to the Slim Server. Slim Server can't see the Squeezebox.

When when checking "Current Settings" on the Squeezebox, the Subnet Mask is shown as 255.255.000.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, but I can't find a way to correct this.

What do you think?

Thanks - Mike

I am having the same problem! Just got my SB3, connected it all up and cannot get it to connect to SlimServer. It connects to the Wireless network fine (and gets itself an IP via DHCP), but then it insists I give it an IP address for the SlimServer, and whatever I try to connect to (have tried 192.168.2.12 - the IP address of my PC, also tried 192.168.2.1 (default gateway) and 127.0.0.1 (is this the SlimServer local IP?) and keep getting the error "can't connect to SlimServer" on the SB3.

I know my SlimServer is running OK (SoftSqueeze is working fine on a laptop I have).

I have tried turning WEP encryption off on my WLAN (am fairly sure I have proved that is not the issue - the SB3 connects to the WLAN and gets itself an IP address with WEP on or off).

Have also now tried turning my firewall (an Nvidia motherboard (A8N-SLI Premium) firewall) off (Windows XP firewall is also off) and still it does not work, so think I have eliminated firewall problems from the equation.

I also have the problem "Flatpik" mentions - when checking "Current Settings" on the Squeezebox, the Subnet Mask is shown as 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, and also can't find a way to correct this. Also, the "Gateway" and "DNS server" addresses in the "current settings" on the SB3 are 0.0.0.0 which doesn't seem right, but again there doesn't seem to be any way to change these.

Also I am a little confused as to why I have to tell the SB3 what IP address to connect to the SlimServer on - according to some instructions I have read, there should be an option to do this automatically too. Anyone know how to get the SB3 to automatically detect the SlimServer?

Am tearing my hair out now - anyone got any ideas on what is wrong here - I want to play with my new toy!!!

Massive thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!!

Matt

mwoodroof
2006-02-28, 09:19
Sorry, I have to cofess to committing the cardinal sin of multiple posting about this issue. In my defence, I only did this after I realised this post was not in the best forum and also was on page 2 of a post and maybe not likely to get looked at!

The good news is that I have found a fix for my problem. See my other thread if you want to see it:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21588