PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything like SlimScrobbler for SqueezeNetwork?

NÚstor
2006-02-25, 13:58
any idea?

thanks!
Nestor

mherger
2006-02-26, 01:05
> any idea?

Doesn't Slimscrobbler keep track of the songs you're playing? As you can't
choose songs on SQN this doesn't make much sense. But I might be wrong :-).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

NÚstor
2006-02-27, 04:57
> any idea?

Doesn't Slimscrobbler keep track of the songs you're playing? As you can't
choose songs on SQN this doesn't make much sense. But I might be wrong :-).

--

Michael

StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Using Pandora in SQN, for example, you can skip the song you are listening, and play the next one in the radio you created, so I would say that you can choose what to hear, and I think it would be great to be able to submit the songs you liked, so your recommendations would be enriched by this new music you liked.

When listening to a lastfm radio in Squeezebox/Slimserver, the songs you hear go to lastfm too, so thats what I would like here too.

:-)

Nestor

mherger
2006-02-27, 05:28
> Using Pandora in SQN, for example, you can skip the song you are

Are you living in the USA? ;-)

> listening, and play the next one in the radio you created, so I would
> say that you can choose what to hear,

You only can decide what you no longer want to hear or what you'd like to
hear _again_. But you can't demand a song. And results sometimes are very
interesting. Last night my girlfriend asked for "Beethoven". The player
interface didn't ask me whether I liked the artist Beethoven or a track of
the same name... Don't expect violins on that "Beethoven Radio"!

> and I think it would be great to
> be able to submit the songs you liked, so your recommendations would be
> enriched by this new music you liked.

Ok, I understand. But I think it's not possible.

> When listening to a lastfm radio in Squeezebox/Slimserver, the songs
> you hear go to lastfm too, so thats what I would like here too.

I think there's a reason for the "Last.fm vs. Pandora" discussion: both
try to recommend music to you, based on what you like to hear. But their
following different business models.

--

Michael

SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

NÚstor
2006-02-27, 08:44
> Using Pandora in SQN, for example, you can skip the song you are

Are you living in the USA? ;-)

my brother is! ;-)

> listening, and play the next one in the radio you created, so I would
> say that you can choose what to hear,

You only can decide what you no longer want to hear or what you'd like to
hear _again_. But you can't demand a song. And results sometimes are very
interesting. Last night my girlfriend asked for "Beethoven". The player
interface didn't ask me whether I liked the artist Beethoven or a track of
the same name... Don't expect violins on that "Beethoven Radio"!

Yes, but they explicitly say they have not attempted to deal with classical music genre at all...
Indeed, they are too much western-northern hemisphere oriented at this moment. Lets see how the rest of the genoma evolves with time...

> and I think it would be great to
> be able to submit the songs you liked, so your recommendations would be
> enriched by this new music you liked.

Ok, I understand. But I think it's not possible.

> When listening to a lastfm radio in Squeezebox/Slimserver, the songs
> you hear go to lastfm too, so thats what I would like here too.

I think there's a reason for the "Last.fm vs. Pandora" discussion: both
try to recommend music to you, based on what you like to hear. But their
following different business models.

I know, but it does not hurt to ask :-D

Paul Webster
2006-03-04, 11:38
I was going to post a similar question.
I've been experimenting with Pandora over the week-end (purely acedemic research as I am not in USA - although it didn't mind me using a ZIP code from Puerto Rico ... and I'm not there either).
Obviously Slim is endorsing (partnering/revenue-share I expect) Pandora and LastFM is user effort with the pair of plug-ins.
But being able to have your Pandora listening sent to LastFM/AudioScrobbler just like your listening on LastFM radio can now be done would seem to make sense (if not commercial sense it would make technical sense).

If Slim don't want to put a direct hook into SqueezeNetwork or the SB firmware to post to LastFM - how about some sort of HTTP post from SN or SB to a user's own listener or a query function asking what track am I playing on my player called X for user Y (with this password) which could then do whatever it wants - including posting to LastFM or writing to a local database etc.

When listening to other people's music (radio streams) there are occasions when I jump up and run to the device (or whip out my Nokia 770) to see what is playing and noting the details is one solution but doing it from the dinner table is not always appreciated.

tass
2006-03-05, 06:38
Slimscrobbler submission rules say that streamed music should not be submitted as a listened song. So, that means anything listened to on Pandora does not count as a listen as far as Last.FM is concerned.
I guess it's because they are more concerned with the music you actually choose to listen to or own in the case of random play.

Paul Webster
2006-03-05, 08:09
Slimscrobbler submission rules say that streamed music should not be submitted as a listened song. So, that means anything listened to on Pandora does not count as a listen as far as Last.FM is concerned.
I guess it's because they are more concerned with the music you actually choose to listen to or own in the case of random play.
I think those rules got somewhat relaxed. Don't last.fm plays get into the list nowadays?
If you check out this thread on the last.fm forums
http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/49441
you will see an iniital comment that say no to streaming and then comment from last.fm staff member and later from pandora staff member saying that they would be interested in seeing it done.
Then keep going through that thread and you will find a link to another thread ... where someone has done it for web-based Pandora access.

will82
2006-05-31, 14:07
I think those rules got somewhat relaxed. Don't last.fm plays get into the list nowadays?
you will see an iniital comment that say no to streaming and then comment from last.fm staff member and later from pandora staff member saying that they would be interested in seeing it done.
Then keep going through that thread and you will find a link to another thread ... where someone has done it for web-based Pandora access.

and what about last.fm radio streams on SQN ?
i'd say that wouldn't be too hard to implement, would it?

Siduhe
2006-06-01, 10:29

Paul, I can't access the link you've given for some reason, but is it the same Pandora to Last.fm integration page that I mentioned here ?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23477

peterw
2006-06-01, 16:54
If SlimServer could act as a proxy for accessing SqueezeNetwork, then it would be possible to develop a scrobbler plugin that could see the Pandora activity. See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=111488&postcount=12 ?

-Peter