PDA

View Full Version : Advice please-

AudioPhil
2006-02-25, 13:45
Thanks in advance and please excuse my basic questions-

I have a wired SB3 and the FAQ says that I need a crossover cable in order to connect directly to my computer without a network hub. OK. So, my ethernet card only has one connection and this is going to my broadband modem. How am I supposed to connect my SB3? Do I need a switcher? Do I need another ethernet card? Do I need a network hub?

Thanks a bunch
Phil

ceejay
2006-02-25, 14:54
Thanks in advance and please excuse my basic questions-

I have a wired SB3 and the FAQ says that I need a crossover cable in order to connect directly to my computer without a network hub. OK. So, my ethernet card only has one connection and this is going to my broadband modem. How am I supposed to connect my SB3? Do I need a switcher? Do I need another ethernet card? Do I need a network hub?

Thanks a bunch
Phil

Well, you're going to need something...

(1) I'd recommend getting a switch/router. Probably one with 4 wired ports (one for your PC, one for your SB, and two for the next two SBs you buy). One with wireless as well will cost more but would give you even more flexibility over where your other SBs go!!

Having a router will mean that both your PC and SB can communicate with the internet independently.

There are other options, such as getting another network interface for your PC (cheaper, but if you want the SB to access the internet eg for SqueezeNetwork then you'd have to configure the PC to act as a bridge and, worse, have it turned on).

I'd be surprised if you can find a hub any more, they seem to have been displaced by switches (which are smarter and dirt cheap). But I don't think you'd be able to use a simple switch in your setup, you need the router to work out which device (PC or SB) to send a packet to thats just come in from the internet).

HTH

Ceejay

AudioPhil
2006-02-25, 15:13
Thanks Ceejay
I have a switch, but I'm not sure how to configure my computer to recognize the SB3.

My modem is connected to the "uplink" on the switch and then the SB3 and computer are connected to the ports the switch. The SB obtains it's IP automatically. I go to the next step "specify an ip for your slimserver", but where do I find this? Sorry for the "junior" questions.
AudioPhil

funkstar
2006-02-25, 16:30
you need to IP of the computer you have installed Slimserver on. Assuming you are using Win2K or XP, go to Start > Run then type 'cmd' and hit enter. type 'ipconfig' in the command prompt, this will tell you the IP your PC has.

AudioPhil
2006-02-25, 16:44
Thanks-
I've done that and entered the information into the SB3 setup. When it says "connecting to slimserver" it then displays an error message "Problem: cannot connect to slimserver" Then my computer displays a windows system error "there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network"

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-25, 18:14
Thanks-
I've done that and entered the information into the SB3 setup. When it says "connecting to slimserver" it then displays an error message "Problem: cannot connect to slimserver" Then my computer displays a windows system error "there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network"

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a duplicate IP address.

Did you enter the IP address you found for SlimServer as the SB3's IP address? There's your duplicate.

Your SB3 should find its own IP address automatically, as you indicate, so keep it at "obtain IP address automatically". That's the address for the SB3, not SlimServer. SlimServer's address is the last step, IIRC.

AudioPhil
2006-02-25, 19:49
Thanks Mark,
Yes, you are correct. I've adjusted the settings but I end up with the same results. So, I have my modem going into a port on my switch, my lan ethernet card is going into another port on my switch and then the uplink on the switch is going into my cable modem. I have the SB3 set to find it's own IP and then I have added the ip, subnet and dns info from my computer- I still get the same error message on the SB. The IP conflict is taken care of. Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-25, 20:02
Thanks Mark,
Yes, you are correct. I've adjusted the settings but I end up with the same results. So, I have my modem going into a port on my switch, my lan ethernet card is going into another port on my switch and then the uplink on the switch is going into my cable modem. I have the SB3 set to find it's own IP and then I have added the ip, subnet and dns info from my computer- I still get the same error message on the SB. The IP conflict is taken care of. Any other suggestions?

Do you have DHCP turned on both at the DSL modem and on the switch? That really confuses things.

JJZolx
2006-02-25, 21:59
Thanks Mark,
What make and model is the switch?

What model is the Broadcom DSL modem/router?

If your PC and your Squeezebox are both going to be able to access the Internet through the Broadcom router, then they'll need to be on the same subnet as the Broadcom. You can't just pick one (unless you set it on the Broadcom). The subnet might be 192.168.0.x or maybe 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x. Hard to say, but if we can dig up some documentation for the router, it will probably tell us what the factory default is. Usually, the easiest thing is to just let all devices get an address from the Broadcom through DHCP, at least to get started. If DHCP isn't working, then fall back to assigning static IP addresses.