PDA

View Full Version : Recommended UK wireless ADSL routers?

goldnet
2006-02-25, 11:31
Was running SB2 with Linksys WAG54G ADSL wireless modem/router. Worked OK when connected but sometimes erratic getting that connection. Router is in upstairs front bedroom (wired connection to server) and SB2 downstairs back living room. Only about 6 feet away horizontally and one floor below but in a corner (brick walls/hi-fi/TV/speakers etc) which I think made reception poor.

The Linksys went down on its cabled ports on Weds and I bought a Netgear DG834PN - MIMO/108Mbs model - figuring MIMO would give the additional signal strength over the range. Came with a Netgear WPN 511 card which works fine (and very fast) in the laptop.

However, the SB2 will not connect with the DG834PN. Tried everything suggested in forums and more. _Have_ had the occasional connection with all security modes turned off but whenever the connection is lost I can't get it back and couldn't run an open network anyway.

Tech support has been assisting but don't actually have a DG834PN available to test at the moment and we haven't yet found a solution.

Linksys is under warranty and going back for exchange for a current WAG354G but will take a couple of weeks and can't manage with nothing in that time. I could just put the SB away for now and try again with the WAG354G (if it will connect!)

What are the best recommended UK ADSL modem wireless routers that have proven rock solid with the SB2? I might be able to pick one up cheap on eBay or trade the new WAG354G when it turns up for something proven.

Philip Meyer
2006-02-25, 12:09
>What are the best recommended UK ADSL modem wireless routers that have
>proven rock solid with the SB2? I might be able to pick one up cheap
>on eBay or trade the new WAG354G when it turns up for something proven.
>
I have a LinkSys WAG54GX2 - Wireless-G ADSL Gateway with SRX200.

This has proved to be very stable with my SB1G and SB2. I leave it on all the time, never really had any trouble. I download live music torrents via Azureus from Dime (formally EasyTree), so it's handling a lot of TCP connections.

I've been really happy with it. However, I recently purchased a SB3 and have been having wireless problems. I strongly suspect it is a faulty SB3 and am trying to get a replacement. I can't believe it would be the wireless router, but you never know.

I have a Belkin ADSL Wireless router that I am just about to put onto eBay. It's a f5d7633uk4. Again, I had a very stable wireless connection with the SB2. However, the Belkin had a tendancy to reboot occasionally with lots of demanding TCP traffic, and the error log system wasn't very good (to avoid problems with the log filling up, the firmware deletes all log entries older than a few minutes). It seems pretty reliable, compared to other ADSL wireless routers though.

Phil

CardinalFang
2006-02-25, 13:39
The Linksys went down on its cabled ports on Weds and I bought a Netgear DG834PN - MIMO/108Mbs model.

I have the Netgear DG834G - the 802.11g version of your router. It works a treat, no problems with wireless connections ever. It may be that your model is trying the faster rates with the SB and failing and both devices are getting confused.

Paul

repman
2006-02-25, 16:00
Was running SB2 with Linksys WAG54G ADSL wireless modem/router. Worked OK when connected but sometimes erratic getting that connection. Router is in upstairs front bedroom (wired connection to server) and SB2 downstairs back living room. Only about 6 feet away horizontally and one floor below but in a corner (brick walls/hi-fi/TV/speakers etc) which I think made reception poor.

The Linksys went down on its cabled ports on Weds and I bought a Netgear DG834PN - MIMO/108Mbs model - figuring MIMO would give the additional signal strength over the range. Came with a Netgear WPN 511 card which works fine (and very fast) in the laptop.

However, the SB2 will not connect with the DG834PN. Tried everything suggested in forums and more. _Have_ had the occasional connection with all security modes turned off but whenever the connection is lost I can't get it back and couldn't run an open network anyway.

Tech support has been assisting but don't actually have a DG834PN available to test at the moment and we haven't yet found a solution.

Linksys is under warranty and going back for exchange for a current WAG354G but will take a couple of weeks and can't manage with nothing in that time. I could just put the SB away for now and try again with the WAG354G (if it will connect!)

What are the best recommended UK ADSL modem wireless routers that have proven rock solid with the SB2? I might be able to pick one up cheap on eBay or trade the new WAG354G when it turns up for something proven.

Hi,

You may want to consider alternatives to wireless - the Homeplug type of ethernet adaptors utilise your existing power cabling and appear to be relatively easy to set up ( I have not seen or tried myself though).

Link to purchase - http://www.dabs.com/ProductList.aspx?fb=165

funkstar
2006-02-25, 16:33
I'll second the DG834G, never had a problem wiht it. I've replaced the standard antena with a large high gain one, but in my flat it doesn't actually make a difference (the signal was pretty good anyway) but i got it for other reasons :)

goldnet
2006-02-25, 17:34
Thanks all for your suggestions so far - pleasew keep 'em coming!

I went for the ADSL2 modem rather than a straight replacement for the Linksys as 8-24Meg broadband is on its way to my exchange so I didn't want to lay out nearly 100 for obsolete technology - also the Netgear came with the free high speed card for the laptop (so mains-powered ethernet would be an expensive addition just for the SB2).

Anyone used a Belkin pre-N, Buffalo or USR Robotics MIMO (all rated in PC Plus)?

mattybain
2006-02-26, 00:37
Anyone used a Belkin pre-N, Buffalo or USR Robotics MIMO (all rated in PC Plus)?

Just bought a Belkin pre-N, very pleased with it. Great coverage (has filled all the deadspots in my house) and works very well with my Squeezebox and Slimserver.

Not too cheap though especially if you decide to buy the pre-N wireless card for your laptop.

goldnet
2006-02-26, 02:53
Just bought a Belkin pre-N, very pleased with it. Great coverage (has filled all the deadspots in my house) and works very well with my Squeezebox and Slimserver.

Can you leave it at 108mbs speed or do you limit it to the 'g' connection for the SB?

Patrick Dixon
2006-02-26, 11:55
I have a LinkSys WAG54GX2 - Wireless-G ADSL Gateway with SRX200.

This has proved to be very stable with my SB1G and SB2. I leave it on all the time, never really had any trouble. ....

I've been really happy with it. However, I recently purchased a SB3 and have been having wireless problems. I strongly suspect it is a faulty SB3 and am trying to get a replacement. I can't believe it would be the wireless router, but you never know.

Phil
I have a WAG54G and found that I had problems with a recent SB2. No problem with the older SB2 which uses a different wireless card IIRC. Updating to the latest SB2/3 Firmware (FW35) seemed to solve the problem, so I recommend you try that if you haven't already.

Philip Meyer
2006-02-26, 13:28
>I have a WAG54G and found that I had problems with a recent SB2. No
>problem with the older SB2 which uses a different wireless card IIRC.
>Updating to the latest SB2/3 Firmware (FW35) seemed to solve the
>problem, so I recommend you try that if you haven't already.
>
Mine is a WAG54GX2, which is different to yours. I am on FW35. I didn't know that the wireless card changed in revisions of the SB2/3.

Phil

Patrick Dixon
2006-02-26, 14:58
Yes, I know yours is different, but I thought FW35 might help you too. Anyway you're already there and I'm sorry to hear it didn't help.

The wireless cards have definitely changed. Whether it makes any difference I couldn't say, but AFAICS there have recently been a lot of FW updates to fix wireless problems that didn't seem to be there before.

Robin Bowes
2006-02-26, 16:50
Patrick Dixon said the following on 02/26/2006 06:55 PM:

> I have a WAG54G and found that I had problems with a recent SB2. No
> problem with the older SB2 which uses a different wireless card IIRC.
> Updating to the latest SB2/3 Firmware (FW35) seemed to solve the
> problem, so I recommend you try that if you haven't already.

The WAG45G was a POS - it had loads of over-heating problems,
disconnections, etc.

I RMAd mine and got a ... erm, can't remember the model, but it is one
of the new Linksys devices, possibly the WAG354G meniotned by the OP.
I'd already replaced it with a Cisco SOHO97 long before I replaced it so
I can't say how well it works.

I currently use my SB3 with a Linksys WRT54GS (running Sveasoft
firmware) and I used to use it with a 3Com 3CRWE554G72 without any problems.

R.

goldnet
2006-02-26, 17:41
Yes, updated to v35 firmware - doesn't make any difference. Also tried released SS and nightly build 5.2.2 and 5.5 beta. Again no improvement.

Working with NG support, they ask me to go back to vanilla install on route - no security. Will try to see what they come up with but not prepared to leave my LAN unsecured.

goldnet
2006-02-26, 18:07
Remove all security - yes, SB connects. Turn 108Mbs back on, SB still connects (surprise!). Put WEP or WPA security back on - no connection. Can NG's implementation of WEP/WPA be significantly different from Linksys?

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-26, 18:45
But does WEP/WPA work in normal "g" mode, not 108
mode?

--- goldnet
<goldnet.23v5uz1141002904 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:

>
> Remove all security - yes, SB connects. Turn 108Mbs
> back on, SB still
> connects (surprise!). Put WEP or WPA security back
> on - no connection.
> Can NG's implementation of WEP/WPA be significantly
> different from
> Linksys?
>
>
> --
> goldnet
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> goldnet's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4191
> View this thread:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21489
>
>

goldnet
2006-02-26, 19:43
But does WEP/WPA work in normal "g" mode, not 108
mode?

No... neither 'g' nor 'g/b'

Patrick Dixon
2006-02-27, 02:21
Patrick Dixon said the following on 02/26/2006 06:55 PM:

> I have a WAG54G and found that I had problems with a recent SB2. No
> problem with the older SB2 which uses a different wireless card IIRC.
> Updating to the latest SB2/3 Firmware (FW35) seemed to solve the
> problem, so I recommend you try that if you haven't already.

The WAG45G was a POS - it had loads of over-heating problems,
disconnections, etc.

I RMAd mine and got a ... erm, can't remember the model, but it is one
of the new Linksys devices, possibly the WAG354G meniotned by the OP.
I'd already replaced it with a Cisco SOHO97 long before I replaced it so
I can't say how well it works.

I currently use my SB3 with a Linksys WRT54GS (running Sveasoft
firmware) and I used to use it with a 3Com 3CRWE554G72 without any problems.

R.What's a POS?

Mine's worked fine for a couple of years now - no disconnections no overheating. Maybe I just got a good one.

mattybain
2006-02-27, 03:18
Can you leave it at 108mbs speed or do you limit it to the 'g' connection for the SB?

That is the beauty of it using g or b devices is not supposed (which appears to be true) to slow if down at all.

Absolute rock solid connection.

Security is WPA - TPIK which is fine for me.

I get 87% signal quality on my laptop in my living room (router is in attic high up) when I used to get about 40-50%.

_NK_
2006-02-27, 04:24
Hi mattybain,

which exact Belkin model do you have? Is it the F5D8230-4 or the F5D8230-4 v2000?

I tried the latter and was very displeased.

Thanks for your feedback

Nikos

mattybain
2006-02-27, 04:42
Hi mattybain,

which exact Belkin model do you have? Is it the F5D8230-4 or the F5D8230-4 v2000?

I tried the latter and was very displeased.

Thanks for your feedback

Nikos

v2000 UK - did you update the firmware? what sort of problems did you have with it?

Robin Bowes
2006-02-27, 10:01
Patrick Dixon said the following on 02/27/2006 09:21 AM:
> What's a POS?

Piece of ...

> Mine's worked fine for a couple of years now - no disconnections no
> overheating. Maybe I just got a good one.

Perhaps you had a later version? The v1 units were attrocious - google
shows up loads of people with problems with them.

R.

Patrick Dixon
2006-02-27, 11:36
Patrick Dixon said the following on 02/27/2006 09:21 AM:
> What's a POS?

Piece of ...

> Mine's worked fine for a couple of years now - no disconnections no
> overheating. Maybe I just got a good one.

Perhaps you had a later version? The v1 units were attrocious - google
shows up loads of people with problems with them.

R.
Ahh I see!

Pretty much every router I googled when I was looking had loads of people slagging it off, and a few saying it was OK! I updated mine to the most recent firmware I could find and it's been fine. I'm not a very demanding wireless user anyway, but the BB modem has been solid and the wires work OK!

Robin Bowes
2006-02-27, 11:56
Patrick Dixon said the following on 02/27/2006 06:36 PM:
> Pretty much every router I googled when I was looking had loads of
> people slagging it off, and a few saying it was OK! I updated mine to
> the most recent firmware I could find and it's been fine. I'm not a
> very demanding wireless user anyway, but the BB modem has been solid
> and the wires work OK!

I found that I couldn't get a reliable wireless connection from my
laptop - so much so that I had to power cycle the box to reset it. It
was a real pain.

having initially gone for a one-box solution I went to the other extreme
and got a Netgear DG832 - just an ADSL modem / router with one ethernet
port to which I connected an 8-port switch. I have a couple of
WAPs/routers that I plugged in to the switch. That kept hanging as well
so I got myself a Cisco SOHO97 ADSL modem/router/switch which has been
rock-solid (touch wood). It's also much more versatile than a "domestic"
router - for example, I've got a block of 8 IP addresses allocated to me
and I re-direct each one to a different internal host.

Anyway, that's geting rather OT!

R.

_NK_
2006-02-28, 03:26
I didnt update cause it was already updated to what was the latest on their site up until 1 month ago or so. I ended up going for the Pre-N after all the good feedback I got here.This was to replace my 3com AP but all I got in my case was "as good at best" - most of the time it was worse than the 3com.

In auto channel mode the signal was starting at 100% then dropping steadily down to 0%. In fixed channel I got it to work steadily more or less but like I mentioned it was "as good as the 3com in best case".

I finally got it back and got a refund after much hassle. I supposed up till I spoke with you that all the good praise for the Pre-N was mostly coming from the Us customers and SB users, which supposedly got the non "v2000" version of the Pre-N.

Anyway, I wont bash the v2000 but like I said, in my case at least it was outperformed by the 3com, for my specific scenario: SS in office room------wired to AP-----wireless to SB2 in living room

Thanks for your feedback

Nikos

goldnet
2006-03-02, 09:36
Well, with help from Netgear support, discovered I can use WEP 64 or 128 bit security and still get a SB connection - you have to input the digits manually and not generate them using the passphrase utility. Can also run at 108MBs auto setting, with MAC filtering and SSID broadcast disabled. WPA encryption still doesn't work but figure I'm secure enough for domestic purposes with filtering and 128 bit WEP.

goldnet
2006-03-08, 06:17
Well, as soon as I moved the SB back to its usual room I was again unable to gain a connection to the DG834PN. Sat them next to eachother and connections were hit-and-miss at best (and no WPA security).

Netgear finally exhausted suggestions and assume unit is faulty. My supplier is prepared to take it back for refund so that's my likely course of action.

Linksys replaced my WAG54G under warranty with a v2 model. At present, this seems to be OK both next to the SB and when the SB is returned to its usual room downstairs.

I suspect either a faulty router (although it worked perfectly with the companion PC card) or a flawed implementation of MIMO or WPA .

Anyway, I'm reasonably happy again! It's been a frustrating 3 weeks!

nocaster
2006-03-20, 15:37
Late post but I can highly recommend the Thompson Speedtouch 580 Wireless ADSL router. I have used (and supported for friends and family) various Belkin, Netgear & linksys routers, all have utimately failed or been "buggey".

Have installed 5 Thompson Speedtouch 580 routers in a number of business & domestic situations, all have been running for at least a year and they never need a patch/reboote etc.

Incidentally mine works great with my SB2. (Its windows I have problems with !!)

James

stevieweevie
2006-03-20, 15:51
DG824G / FW V3.01.29 / WPA-PSK / 63 character key / 802.11g / 54Mps / Broadcast of Name Disabled / Defined LAN IP for the Squeezebox

paired with

Squeezebox 3 / FW 35 / 6.2.2

works perfectly.

neilcoburn
2006-03-21, 10:17
Reading all these posts, it strikes me that the performance of wireless routers in general is down to luck more than anything else! I've had good performance in the past with my Belkin F5D6231uk4 (admittedly with an access point as a range extender), but I've just moved house and it's not working at all well. I'm considering buying a Homeplug/devolo kit to send ethernet via the mains electricity. Does anyone have any experience of this?

stinkingpig
2006-03-22, 07:41
neilcoburn wrote:
> Reading all these posts, it strikes me that the performance of wireless
> routers in general is down to luck more than anything else! I've had
> good performance in the past with my Belkin F5D6231uk4 (admittedly with
> an access point as a range extender), but I've just moved house and it's
> not working at all well. I'm considering buying a Homeplug/devolo kit
> to send ethernet via the mains electricity. Does anyone have any
> experience of this?
>

there've been a few posts expressing support, but I think they're all
US-based? I'd expect problems with antique wiring, so beware if you're
in an older house.

On wireless, it's definitely luck, and mine is particularly bad. I've
bought 8 WAPs in the last couple of years, half NetGear and half
Linksys. Two of them work properly, two sort of work but can't maintain
their configuration across power cycles, and the remaining four were
DOA. As in two of them had corrupted firmware and couldn't be reflashed,
the other two were simply fried. That's even across both brands.

http://www.monkeynoodle.org/comp/race

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip Since 1996