PDA

View Full Version : FLAC tagging and Cover Art

Danguard
2006-02-24, 04:29
Hello,
I would like to change my collection of MP3 to FLAC, i'm redoing all the re-encoding of it, but now i have some "problem"
At the moment i'm using mp3 with all tags defined, including cover art for each file.
Now there's the problem: i tried a lot of software searching to include the coverart inside the Flac, but it seems nearly impossible :-/
I tried with Mp3Tag, Media Tagger, The Godfather, everyone always don't give me the possibility to add the coverart.
To be more specific, seems that it's impossible to add an ID3v2 tag with cover art inside
I would like to understand if i'm trying to do something impossible, or if someone already tried it, i would like to ask how they managed to do it work correctly.

(Another thing: on my PC i'm using WinAmp + CD case to display the cover while playing the file, i would like to be able to do it using always the same program using the Flac file and maybe the Id3v2 Tag)

Am i trying to do something impossible or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help.

nelamvr6
2006-02-24, 05:18
There is no point in "changing" your mp3 into flac files. By encoding into mp3 you have already lost data.

If you want to have flac files you have to re-rip and encode to flac. Simply re-encoding mp3 files to flac will only accomplish creating good copies of lossy files.

Once you have the flac files generated you can use Tag&Rename 3.2 (http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm) to take care of tagging and cover art.

bernt
2006-02-24, 05:24
flac does not support embeded art.

I'm using Godfather and the AMG patch to get and save the coverart in the album directory.

vdorta
2006-02-24, 05:26
Media Monkey does it too.

Danguard
2006-02-24, 05:36
There is no point in "changing" your mp3 into flac files. By encoding into mp3 you have already lost data.

If you want to have flac files you have to re-rip and encode to flac. Simply re-encoding mp3 files to flac will only accomplish creating good copies of lossy files.

Once you have the flac files generated you can use Tag&Rename 3.2 (http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm) to take care of tagging and cover art.

Yeah sorry, i wasn't clear enough, i'm re-ripping them from my CDs and re-encoding them in FLAC format :)

nelamvr6
2006-02-24, 05:43
Yeah sorry, i wasn't clear enough, i'm re-ripping them from my CDs and re-encoding them in FLAC format :)

Cool! The Tag&Rename program I linked to above will help you out with your tagging and it can go on-line to fetch cover art. If you want SlimServer to find and display your cover art make sure it is in the folder with the flac files and named "cover.jpg".

Dan Sully
2006-02-24, 09:50
* bernt shaped the electrons to say...

>flac does not support embeded art.

Actually it does. We've seen two formats in the wild, and support them:

J River Media center Base64 encodes artwork into an COVERART tag.

Escient devices set a new Application metadata block ID and add a jpeg.

-D
--
<Djall> and I also learned that a meat vortex takes meat away from you.

Spies
2006-02-24, 11:33
MusicMagic Mixer supports the COVERART tag as well.
I think you need to be running SlimServer 6.2.2 or higher for them to show.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

bernt
2006-02-24, 13:23
* bernt shaped the electrons to say...

>flac does not support embeded art.

Actually it does. We've seen two formats in the wild, and support them:

J River Media center Base64 encodes artwork into an COVERART tag.

Escient devices set a new Application metadata block ID and add a jpeg.

-D
--
<Djall> and I also learned that a meat vortex takes meat away from you.

Great news. Thanks for the information.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-24, 14:38
Tag & Rename used to write an ID3 tag to FLAC files, but recent versions adhere to the VORBIS COMMENTS TAG structure.

Now I just let Tag & Rename place an Artist - Title.jpg file in the folder.