PDA

View Full Version : Using stream.mp3 - Chicken and egg problem

JJZolx
2006-02-23, 21:18
I'm trying to figure out how to easily be able to use the stream.mp3 connection method to playback music at work from my home server. The connection is no problem, I have a VPN nailed up between work and home and I can easily connect to the SlimServer http server, and I can also connect using SoftSqueeze. But sometimes I'd like to use Winamp instead.

If I pull up the web UI, the office computer player doesn't show up (I have one called 'WorkPC - Winamp', in which I've set up the desired bitrate limiting and other preferences). If I try to connect to stream.mp3 at this point I get a synch error in Winamp. Ok, there's no stream happening, so I understand that. I guess.

So I play something to a Squeezebox on my home(?) network. Now I can connect to stream.mp3 from Winamp, but I get no music. I suppose that makes sense, the music isn't being streamed to this player.

Now, at this point the player will show up in the SlimServer web UI and I can then add music to its playlist. Press 'play' again in Winamp and I get music on the office PC.

All pretty damned confusing, as I'm not sure exactly what's going on here. Is there an explanation, or is this just the quirky way this has to work?

vain4
2006-02-24, 04:46
I'm trying to figure out how to easily be able to use the stream.mp3 connection method to playback music at work from my home server. The connection is no problem, I have a VPN nailed up between work and home and I can easily connect to the SlimServer http server, and I can also connect using SoftSqueeze. But sometimes I'd like to use Winamp instead.

If I pull up the web UI, the office computer player doesn't show up (I have one called 'WorkPC - Winamp', in which I've set up the desired bitrate limiting and other preferences). If I try to connect to stream.mp3 at this point I get a synch error in Winamp. Ok, there's no stream happening, so I understand that. I guess.

So I play something to a Squeezebox on my home(?) network. Now I can connect to stream.mp3 from Winamp, but I get no music. I suppose that makes sense, the music isn't being streamed to this player.

Now, at this point the player will show up in the SlimServer web UI and I can then add music to its playlist. Press 'play' again in Winamp and I get music on the office PC.

All pretty damned confusing, as I'm not sure exactly what's going on here. Is there an explanation, or is this just the quirky way this has to work?

it would appear that's the way it works unless you use softsqueeze. i was doing the same thing for a week or so

radish
2006-02-24, 06:43
If I try to connect to stream.mp3 at this point I get a synch error in Winamp. Ok, there's no stream happening, so I understand that. I guess.
That bit sounds wrong. You should get a silent stream.

chiphart
2006-02-24, 08:58
radish wrote:
> > If I try to connect to stream.mp3 at this point I get a synch error in
> > Winamp. Ok, there's no stream happening, so I understand that. I guess.
> That bit sounds wrong. You should get a silent stream.

I concur. I just tried this very thing this AM in an effort to
debug something related to the player itself.

As soon as you point xmms/winamp at [yoururl]:9000/stream.mp3 you
should get a silent stream at 320K. That's how you can tell if
slim is even running without looking for processes.

Just my experience.

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

radish
2006-02-24, 12:36
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that there's something with your VPN setup which is causing you difficulties getting a connection established for some reason. Try the exact same steps, but from home on the same local LAN. If that works, it's the VPN, if it doesn't, it's a SlimServer bug.

JJZolx
2006-02-24, 12:52
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that there's something with your VPN setup which is causing you difficulties getting a connection established for some reason. Try the exact same steps, but from home on the same local LAN. If that works, it's the VPN, if it doesn't, it's a SlimServer bug.
Yep, it worked from a PC on the LAN, as you said, with a 'silent' stream.

Today, it's also working like this today from the office PC. One difference between today and yesterday, though, is that the 'WorkPC - Winamp' remained in the server's list of players overnite. I'm wondering whether the player needs to be listed by the server for this to work smoothly. What causes the player to be removed from the server? I assume there must be some sort of time period after which these software players get removed, even though their preferences remain in SlimServer's data file.

radish
2006-02-24, 14:11
It should appear in the list when you connect to stream.mp3 and disappear when you disconnect. Just like regular squeezeboxes appear and disappear as they connect/disconnect.