PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeBox not connecting to new router...

elroyjetson
2006-02-23, 17:56
I just replaced by Netgear router by a new Linksys WRTP54G router (with VoIP from Vonage) with Firmware version 1.00.60. The Squeezebox detects the network but fails to connect, giving the message: "Problem: Can't find a wireless network"

The router is configured with "security disabled" and "MAC Filter disabled" to allow anything to connect. I have 2 laptops that connect without an issue.

Any suggestions? Are there issues with the router or firmware? A special setting or cheatsheet to follow?

Thanks!

JJZolx
2006-02-23, 19:52
I just replaced by Netgear router by a new Linksys WRTP54G router (with VoIP from Vonage) with Firmware version 1.00.60. The Squeezebox detects the network but fails to connect, giving the message: "Problem: Can't find a wireless network"

The router is configured with "security disabled" and "MAC Filter disabled" to allow anything to connect. I have 2 laptops that connect without an issue.

Any suggestions? Are there issues with the router or firmware? A special setting or cheatsheet to follow?
What version of SlimServer are you running? If it's 6.2.1 then you should probably upgrade to the latest 6.2.2 nightly, which has numerous bug fixes and installs a later version of the firmware with many fixes for wireless problems.

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

elroyjetson
2006-02-24, 09:28
Jim,

Thanks for the response. I was running 6.2.1 (upgraded a couple weeks ago and it was working fine with my old router). I just upgraded to the 6.2.2-nightly (SlimServer_6_2_x_v2006-02-24) to check it out.

However, the problem was not being able to connect to the network, not getting to the point of connecting to the slimserver. I still can not connect to the new router.

If the firmware upgrade in 6.2.2 will help me connect to my new router, would I have to install my old router, then connect to the squeezebox to do the upgrade, then see if if can connect to the new router afterwards? It's worth a shot!

Thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-24, 09:36
If the firmware upgrade in 6.2.2 will help me connect to my new router, would I have to install my old router, then connect to the squeezebox to do the upgrade, then see if if can connect to the new router afterwards? It's worth a shot!

All you have to do is wire your SB into your current router with a patch cable.

JJZolx
2006-02-24, 09:37
Thanks for the response. I was running 6.2.1 (upgraded a couple weeks ago and it was working fine with my old router). I just upgraded to the 6.2.2-nightly (SlimServer_6_2_x_v2006-02-24) to check it out.

However, the problem was not being able to connect to the network, not getting to the point of connecting to the slimserver. I still can not connect to the new router.

That would probably work. Or you could connect to your network temporarily via wired Ethernet.

Siduhe
2006-02-24, 10:01
What version firmware is your router running ?

There was a major firmware upgrade for many Linksys routers last year which is supposed to substantially improve wireless performance. I believe there's also a Vonage specific version and it should be downloaded automatically, but I would check with Vonage to be sure.

elroyjetson
2006-02-24, 10:41
All,

Silly me! I could of course patch it in with an ethernet cable. And it works over ethernet. However, I am still not able to connect with the wireless. :-(

The squeezebox is running firmware v40.

The Linksys WRTP54G router runs firmware version 1.00.60.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13138
indicates this is that latest version of the firmware, and Vonage pushes upgrades to it.

Any other advice? Or would we say that these devices are not compatable in wireless mode? I was hoping on only using the one router here, but may still need it for the squeezebox. I'd be happy to work more with the problem as necessary to help out the next fellow!

Thanks!

PS - I also had to retire my series 1 TiVO after transferring to Vonage, as now the modem couldn't connect. The Comcast DVR supports HDTV now but the interface is terrible after living in TiVO bliss for the alst 5 years. This was my plan regardless to finally watch HD shows.

JJZolx
2006-02-24, 10:49
Silly me! I could of course patch it in with an ethernet cable. And it works over ethernet. However, I am still not able to connect with the wireless. :-(

The squeezebox is running firmware v40.
Firmware 40? Oops. It never occurred to me that you might have a Squeezebox 1 I'm afraid there's no new firmware for the SB1 with 6.2.2.

Someone else will have to chime in here. What are the wireless networking limitations of the SB1? I don't think it can do WPA, for one.

kdf
2006-02-24, 11:14
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.23qvxb1140804138 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Someone else will have to chime in here. What are the wireless
> networking limitations of the SB1? I don't think it can do WPA, for
> one.

802.11B, WEP shared-key only (64- and 128-bit), and must use key #1
for those routers that supply multiple keys for a given passphrase.

-k

elroyjetson
2006-02-24, 11:59
Thanks all! I got it to work now. I didn't even realize there was a diff between SB1 and SB2.

To recap: I couldn't connect to my new Linksys WRTP54G router (with Vonage VoIP) without any secutrity enabled. To fix, I enabled WEP and generated a 64-bit key. I then input the key on the SB during connection and it worked! Also, it looks like the SB1 connects in B-mode, though i had "mixed-mode" set so I did not need to change that.

Thanks again!