PDA

View Full Version : Installing on Small Business Server

timmorris
2006-02-23, 08:04
I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search function keeps returning "page cannot be displayed" for some reason.

I run a small network at home - large family plus a co-located small business. We use Small Business Server 2003, and I have loads of mp3s stored under redirected my documents folders. While I can install the server software on my desktop and use the network shares it isn't particularly efficient in terms of network traffic.

My Small Business Server has numerous web servers already set up:

Default Web Site Ports 80 and 443
Microsoft Sharepoint Administration Port 5888
WSUS Administration Ports 8530 and 8531
Sharepoint Central Administration Port 8081
Companyweb Ports 80 and 444

In addition Ports 81,82 and 8083 are used by ProtectionPilot McAfee's Small Business Anti Virus deployment and Admin tool.

Setup appears to run succesfully, but I don't see the Website listed in IIS, double clicking on the taskbar icon just tries to start the server, if I try to start the service manually it starts and then immediately stops, and If I try to manually browse to http://localhost:9000 I get a "you are not authorised to view this page" error.

One error on its own I could probably troubleshoot on my own, but this is too much.

How do I fix it?

Tim

funkstar
2006-02-23, 09:33
The SlimServer web interface won't appear under IIS because it runs its own webserver.

As for the permissions problem, someone else will need to answer that part :)

mherger
2006-02-23, 09:42
> I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search function keeps
> returning "page cannot be displayed" for some reason.

It's the firewall. Please see

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#networking-firewall

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

timmorris
2006-02-23, 12:19
It isn't the firewall as:

1. This is Small Business Server 2003 and not Windows XP SP2, and it doesn't have Windows firewall.
2. I have a domain group policy which switches off the firewall on all the XP clients anyway.
3. I'm trying to locate it through localhost (or loopback - 127.0.0.1) - it is on the same computer so it wouldn't be going through the firewall if there was one.
4. The "page cannot be displayed" reference was a problem with this site's search function!

I'm now convinced it is to do with the fact that the slimserver service starts and then immediately stops without generating an error. Can anyone tell me why? I've sent an email through to tech support but haven't received a reply.

Tim

timmorris
2006-02-23, 12:45
I'm making progress. I can't find out what it is (yet), but something is listening on port 9000 so it would appear that it is already in use. Is there a way to change which Ports slimserver and the squeezebox use? If not I'm going to have to return it, which is a crying shame!

Tim

radish
2006-02-23, 12:55
9000 actually has a bunch of possible uses, a couple of games use it, as well as sendmail and websphere. Firstly, I'd find out what is on 9000 - it might be something you don't need or want.

Secondly, if you do want to run the slimserver on a port other than the default, use --httpport a.b.c.d on the command line to change it.

timmorris
2006-02-23, 12:59
Thanks - I will, I'd just like to find out if that is the problem. Where can I find advanced documentation. As you've probably gatherd I'm new to squeezebox but I'm not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination.

Tim

JJZolx
2006-02-23, 12:59
It isn't the firewall as:

1. This is Small Business Server 2003 and not Windows XP SP2, and it doesn't have Windows firewall.
2. I have a domain group policy which switches off the firewall on all the XP clients anyway.
3. I'm trying to locate it through localhost (or loopback - 127.0.0.1) - it is on the same computer so it wouldn't be going through the firewall if there was one.
4. The "page cannot be displayed" reference was a problem with this site's search function!

I'm now convinced it is to do with the fact that the slimserver service starts and then immediately stops without generating an error. Can anyone tell me why? I've sent an email through to tech support but haven't received a reply.
You're using port 9000, right? >>> http://127.0.0.1:9000

Check the Services applet to see if the service a) has been installed, and b) is running or stopped. Then check the Event Viewer, which may or may not have a helpful message if the service can't start. You should also be able to tell from the remote interface on the Squeezebox whether or not the server is running.

timmorris
2006-02-23, 13:03
The service won't run because there's something else listening on port 9000 (netstat doesn't tell me what I'm afraid). That's the problem I'm faced with at the moment. If I manually start slim on port 9500 it runs no problem. I will try to find out what is already on port 9000, but if I can't then how do I start slim as a service on port 9500 say? Where can I find advanced documentation?

Tim

JJZolx
2006-02-23, 13:23
The service won't run because there's something else listening on port 9000 (netstat doesn't tell me what I'm afraid). That's the problem I'm faced with at the moment. If I manually start slim on port 9500 it runs no problem. I will try to find out what is already on port 9000, but if I can't then how do I start slim as a service on port 9500 say? Where can I find advanced documentation?
Try editing the slimserver.pref file, most likely in C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server, and change the 'httpport' setting. Then see if you can start the service.

httpport: 9500

timmorris
2006-02-23, 13:32
Thanks Jim. I'm one step ahead of you, as I'm asking questions while trying things! Once you have it started using the command line it automatically changes the port number in preferences for you so I can now start it as a service. A number of areas are hard coded to port 9000 - I guess I can report some bugs. I can't believe I'm the first person to run slimserver on a Windows Server box - I know bucket loads of people who run Small Business Server at home.

Thanks also to radish for making me aware of the command line option in the first place.

It is a great product (well I hope so, my squeezebox arrives tomorrow), but how do people who aren't computer literate cope? I'm just setting up the software, soldering a Siltech coax cable with some WBT phonos, setting up the iPaq, programming the Pronto and preparing a slot on the Meridian 561. I'm very excited!

Tim

JJZolx
2006-02-23, 13:44
Thanks Jim. I'm one step ahead of you, as I'm asking questions while trying things! Once you have it started using the command line it automatically changes the port number in preferences for you so I can now start it as a service. A number of areas are hard coded to port 9000 - I guess I can report some bugs. I can't believe I'm the first person to run slimserver on a Windows Server box - I know bucket loads of people who run Small Business Server at home.
If I ran SBS on a network, and actually did work on it, then it certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a host for running SlimServer. You may just be the first to have run into a port conflict. It would be good to figure out exactly what is using port 9000.

timmorris
2006-02-23, 13:55
It is a residential location but with a small business (4 employess) co-located. I simply have bucket loads of mp3 on the server and it is more efficient from a traffic point of view to locate slimserver there. Do you know of another command line tool other than netstat that will associate processes to ports? If I find out what is listening on port 9000, I'll try to turn it off or reconfigure it (from google cslistener seems the most likely candidate). All is working as it should now though - I've just installed Softsqueeze on my desktop and can control it using my ipaq by going to http://montgomery:9500/handheld (montgomery is the name of my server). And to think at midnight last night I hadn't even heard the name Squeezebox (though slimp3 rings some bells from when I was a member of a home automation mailing list in the UK).

mherger
2006-02-23, 14:20
> Do you know of another command line tool other than netstat that will
> associate processes to ports? If I find out what is listening on port
> 9000, I'll try to turn it off or reconfigure it (from google cslistener
> seems the most likely candidate).

I'm pretty sure it's not one of SBS's standard services as I know of at
least one other user running slimserver on SBS. What other software are
you running on that machine ("other" means: not installed by SBS).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

timmorris
2006-02-23, 14:30
For those that need to know which process is causing the problem if they find themselves in the same position as me.

Open a command prompt: Start|Run cmd
Type netstat -a -o >ports.txt (there's way too much to see on a single screen)
Open ports.txt and look for port 9000 - an abridged version of my file:

TCP montgomery:8530 montgomery.KingswoodHouse.local:0 LISTENING 2288
TCP montgomery:8531 montgomery.KingswoodHouse.local:0 LISTENING 2288
TCP montgomery:9000 montgomery.KingswoodHouse.local:0 LISTENING 3324
TCP montgomery:9001 montgomery.KingswoodHouse.local:0 LISTENING 3324
TCP montgomery:9002 montgomery.KingswoodHouse.local:0 LISTENING 3324
TCP montgomery:9003 montgomery.KingswoodHouse.local:0 LISTENING 3324
TCP montgomery:9090 montgomery.KingswoodHouse.local:0 LISTENING 4836

The last column is the important one - that contains the PID of the relevant proceess - in my case 3324.

Next in the same command prompt window:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tasklist /FI "PID eq 3324" /FO LIST /V

Image Name: SUIR.exe
PID: 3324
Session Name: Console
Session#: 0
Mem Usage: 16,492 K
User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Window Title: N/A

Then, making sure that searching for hidden and system files is turned on, look for the Image name. The containing folder should give you more of a clue, if not the file properties.

In my case: C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Continuous Protection Server\Autonomy

An application which I could reconfigure BUT it came as part of a maintenance upgrade to my backup software and I haven't really used it since I installed it and uninstalling it was on my list of things to do.

Probably a bit advanced for a beginner's forum, but I hope my experience may help others in the future (it can't be the only software to use TCP on port 9000).

Thanks again to those that helped (and tried). Now all I have to do is introduce another hard disk into the striped set that contains my user's folders and I'll be able to re-rip my files and encode them using FLAC!

Tim

JJZolx
2006-02-23, 14:51
Good information. What were the Event Log entries that SlimServer posted when the port conflict was keeping it from starting up? If they didn't make the problem clear, then it would be worth posting an enhancement request to bugzilla encouraging better error messages in such a situation.

cjhabs
2006-02-23, 14:56
Out of interest I checked my XP machine.
TCP port 9000 was being used by the CheckPoint VPN client.

So if you're planning to run on a Windows box its well worth checking.

Habs

timmorris
2006-02-23, 15:17
Good information. What were the Event Log entries that SlimServer posted when the port conflict was keeping it from starting up? If they didn't make the problem clear, then it would be worth posting an enhancement request to bugzilla encouraging better error messages in such a situation.

Being a numnutz today I of course was only looking in the system log which showed the service terminating immediately after starting. The contents of the application log at the point of failure:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: can't setup the listening port 9000 for the HTTP server: Unknown error at /PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 189.

But with a source of "Application" this really isn't going to be of any help to a newbie. I'm supposed to be a sysadmin and it was 12 hours in between first seeing the error message and getting a result (though I only worked on it for about 2 hours).

Personally I think a dialog box would be more helpful, I also think the diagnostic information I managed to dig up from the usenet (newbies aren't going to go there) should be added to the FAQ even if it isn't really F it is going to come up more often as we use more and more networked applications.

Now I can't wait for my Squeezebox to arrive. I'm using SoftSqueeze on my PC playing through Acoustic Energy Aegos 2.1s, but that doesn't quite match up to a Meridian 561, 4x Audiolab 8000MX monoblocks and a pair of KEF 104/2s. I still have to solder up the interconnect, and make myself something to eat (as it approaches 10:15pm here.

It all started last night when I came across an article for Roku M1001s, did a bit of digging, found out (from their forums) that it didn't support WPA, and that had been "coming soon" for a year. The more I looked the less I wanted an M1001 - the upsampling on the digital output that didn't affect quality in the eyes of the engineers but strangley did according to the users, and he general attitude of "us vs. them" on their forums was enough to put me off. I strayed across the Squeezebox at 2am and by 3 had placed an order.

I feel like a 6 year old at christmas for the first time in years!

Tim

abdomen
2006-02-23, 15:49
Personally I think a dialog box would be more helpful...
Unfortunately, I don't think services can raise dialog boxes.

timmorris
2006-02-23, 17:13
They can but only via the Messenger service (nothing to do with Windows/MSN Messenger) which unfortunately is disabled by default.

Tim

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-24, 09:28
Welcome to the Squeezebox world, Tim!

You have great taste in audio hardware already as evidenced by your use of the Aego2 and the classic KEF 104/2s.

I use the Aego2 with a Squeezebox in the bedroom and it sounds sweet. It's a fine music player and there's a vibrant and positive community built around it. I've got 5 of 'em (actually my original slimp3 is boxed up but I'll deploy it in the garage when the weather improves).