PDA

View Full Version : Newbie problem with installing SlimServer on Linkstation

sb11
2006-02-22, 13:47
Hi everybody,

I tried to install SlimServer on my LinkStation today (according to Marc D. Fields instructions). I have the following problem when running the SlimServer. After typing in the command

./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data

in telnet I get the following error message

./slimserver.pl: require: command not found
./slimserver.pl: use: command not found
./slimserver.pl: use: command not found
./slimserver.pl: package: command not found
./slimserver.pl: line 25: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./slimserver.pl: line 25: `our %Config = ('

I'm absolutely clueless what's wrong. Can anyone help?

FYI, I completed the following steps:

- updated firmware to mipsel-openlink-0.52b
- installed Perl 5.8.5
- installed SlimServer 6.2.1
- installed mipsel-slimserver-modules-0.5b

Many thanks in advance for any comments that could help me.

Best regards,
Sebastian

sb11
2006-02-23, 10:49
Can nobody help? I'm really clueless and appreciate any hints.

Thanks a lot!
Sebastian

mherger
2006-02-23, 11:04
./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data

what happens if you run

perl slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data

sb11
2006-02-23, 11:55
Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply. When I run the statement you wrote I get the message:

/usr/bin/perl: cannot execute binary file

What could be the problem?

Best regards,
Sebastian

mherger
2006-02-23, 13:01
> /usr/bin/perl: cannot execute binary file

Thought so.

> What could be the problem?

I think the message is pretty clear: the perl executable binary could not
be found. Where did you install it? Once you've found it, run

/path/to/your/perl slimserver.pl ...

Or create a link to the binary in /usr/bin

ln -s /path/to/your/perl /usr/bin

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

mherger
2006-02-23, 13:02
> /usr/bin/perl: cannot execute binary file

Ooops sorry, misread in the first place. You might have to make the binary
executable:

chmod a+x /usr/bin/perl

(or wherever you've installed perl)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

sb11
2006-02-23, 13:52
Hallo Michael,

I installed Perl according to http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation3.html.

So I assume it's installed to /usr/local/bin. After that I ran

ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl

I additionally ran

chmod a+x /usr/local/bin

and

chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/perl

Unfortunately starting slimserver still doesn't work.

Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with unix commands. That's why i'm still quite clueless. Do you have any other ideas?

Viele Gre aus Deutschland,
Sebastian

stevos
2006-08-25, 13:04
I am also having this problem, does anyone know the solution?

stevos
2006-08-25, 13:21
p.s. i notice in the /usr/bin directory i have a file called perl and one called perl5.8.7 is that normal?

stevos
2006-08-25, 13:25
p.p.s

when i type

/usr/bin/perl slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data

I also get the following error

/usr/bin/perl: cannot execute binary file

aubuti
2006-08-25, 13:52
What do you get when you type:

which perl

Followed by:

ls -l [then insert the path and filename that the previous command gave you]

stevos
2006-08-25, 13:57
Cheers for the help

I get

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Aug 25 15:51 /usr/bin/perl -> /usr/lo
cal/bin/perl

stevos
2006-08-25, 15:18
Any further ideas?

srasher
2006-08-25, 15:35
Well, as the previous ls -l only shows that

/usr/bin/perl

is a link to

/usr/local/bin/perl

please do a

ls -l /usr/local/bin/perl

to see if that one (which is the real perl executable) has the correct execution rights.

EDIT: If the above does not show any missing execution rights, another thing worth trying is to do a

file /usr/local/bin/perl

which should show something similar to

/usr/local/bin/perl: ELF 32-bit LSB MIPS-I executable, MIPS, ...

If there is now hint on MIPS it would indicate that you might have installed a Perl package for another processor architecture which of course then would not be executable...

stevos
2006-08-26, 02:50
first command gives

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 25 15:43 /usr/local/bin/perl -> p
erl5.8.5

The second gives me

/usr/local/bin/perl: symbolic link to perl5.8.5

nothing to do with mips

any additional ideas?

stevos
2006-08-26, 03:14
I give up, how do i start from scratch i.e. reinstall the default firmware?

When i run the official update program it states it can't find the linkstation?

stevos
2006-08-26, 10:48
Sort of got it working. It turned out slimserver 6.3.1 doesn't seem to work on the linkstation. I installed slimserver 5.4.0, which worked on the nas, but the squeezebox won't update its firmware, whether i am using slimserver on the nas or my pc.

Does anyone have a version of slimserver that does work, and if so which version is it and were can i get it from?

Cheers
Steve.

srasher
2006-08-26, 13:01
Hi Steve,

sorry for the delayed answer! I cannot speak for SS 6.3.1 but I have an installation of 6.3.0 running on the MIPS Linkstation working fine. I got it and the installation instructions from the same place referred in the original place (LinkstationWiki). What is strange is that you're investigations are somehow indicating you've got perl version 5.8.5 whereas the current Openlink version 0.52b (http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Projects/OpenLink) contains perl version 5.8.7.

If you have not already removed all the perl stuff, let me give one additional hint there: the line

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 25 15:43 /usr/local/bin/perl -> perl5.8.5

again indicates a symbolic link (in this case from /usr/local/bin/perl to /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.5) and therefore the "file ..." command has to be rerun on the real executable, i.e. try

file /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.5

or any further files if this is still just a link pointing somewhere else.

REGARDING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE:
- I hope someone corrects me if this is wrong but from my point of view the SS version 5.4 won't update anything on the NAS as the firmware is not downloaded but is contained in the SS package. As 5.4 is quite old there might not be a newer version of the Firmware included than the one you already have on your SB.

- I am not sure (don't have the manual available right now) but can it be that you have to do the factory reset or something similar via the remote control for the Squeezebox to initiate a Firmware update?

Hope all this is of any help for you!

Cheers,
Sebastian

aubuti
2006-08-26, 20:33
Sort of got it working. It turned out slimserver 6.3.1 doesn't seem to work on the linkstation. I installed slimserver 5.4.0, which worked on the nas, but the squeezebox won't update its firmware, whether i am using slimserver on the nas or my pc.

Does anyone have a version of slimserver that does work, and if so which version is it and were can i get it from?
I am running 6.5b1 (a build from about a week ago) on my PowerPC Linkstation (HD-HG). That requires installing MySQL, which is something you might not want to get into at this point. Back in Feb-Mar of this year I was running 6.2.x successfully. I also ran into troubles trying to install 6.3, although I didn't really try very hard to make it work.

Michaelwagner
2006-08-26, 21:39
If you have an SB3, 5.4 won't drive it, probably won't recognize it. 5.4 only supported SB1s and SLiMP3s. The lowest Slimserver that will drive an SB2 or an SB3 is 6

stevos
2006-08-27, 03:19
Okay cheers for the advice.

As a recap, i reset the firmware of the linkstation and did a factory reset of the squeezebox.

I have left the default version of perl installed.

As indicated slimserver version 5.4.0 worked on the linkstation, but not on the squeezebox, but from the above post it appears that it doesn't support squeezebox3, so i guess this is normal.

I have installed version 6.3.1 and a version named v2005-09-10 (not sure which version this is) and 6.2.2. With these i get the following error message

The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

So not really much further on, could this indicate i need to install some other 3rd party software like mySQL (see above post)?

aubuti
2006-08-27, 05:16
Did you run /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl? If so, did it run okay? It is a script that builds the perl modules that you need -- these aren't pre-built for the Linkstation. You don't need MySQL to run slimserver 6.2 or 6.3; MySQL is only required for versions of 6.5 released since mid-May.

Nikhil
2006-08-27, 07:50

Cheers
Steve.

Steve, I have been running version 6.1.1 on a PPC first gen LinkStation for well over a year now. It has worked without any problems and response is excellent with about 650 albums/7000 tracks (mostly FLAC, few mp3s, no transcoding, no album art). I have resisted the urge to upgrade because it works so good. In parallel, I also run some of the latest nightly builds of version 6.5b on Mac OS 10.4 & Windows boxes on my backup libraries and I haven't noticed any difference in the response (with the exception of transcoding for remote streaming) even though my Mac and Windows hardware is significantly more powerful.

I beleive I still have the original v.6.1.1 tar someplace.

Nikhil

stevos
2006-08-27, 08:34
I did run /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

Out of interest the message says it needs to download something, is that from the web or just from somewhere else on the linkstation?

Any way when i run the above i get

Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

These packages are needed for SlimServer 6 to function.
You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

*** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with -->

so i assume i type /usr/bin/perl, and get the following message

Invalid download path! Exiting.
Please enter a directory to download files to --> bash-2.05a#

Any ideas.

Cheers for all the help so far
Steve.

stevos
2006-08-27, 13:18
Got it working with super thanks to Amauta and his auto install