PDA

View Full Version : Pre purchase questions/clarifications

govardha
2006-02-22, 08:54
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about the software side of things.
My primary machine at home is my Macintosh computer. It has about 40 gigs of music.

- I have meticulously rated and catalogued about 10 gig of my music and I have smart playlists which use this to dynamically update(last played in 2 weeks ago, 3 stars and over etc etc). When I synchronize my ipod, the last played time, any changes to ratings etc are transferred over to my "Library" in iTunes. When I purchase the SB3 device and listen to one of these smart playlists, will it automatically update the play count, play date/time etc? What if I were to listen to my music in another pc outside my home or at home?

- My next question has to do with listening to my music using the Squeezebox media player java sw. I installed the server in my mac and it indexed my library. Further, I accessed the web site http://localhost:9000 in my laptop(Windows XP). I see my library, but when I try to play it, it goes through the java install and brings up the player and keeps saying "Connecting to Slim Server" forever. When I play it in the Macintosh it self things seem to work. I have opened up port 9000(Any Application) in the Mac and further I also use "Littlesnitch" to manage outbound connections.

What other new rules do I have to put in place for both the Mac OS X default firewall? LittleSnitch?, currently I say any application can receive inbound connections at port 9000, what specific application can I narrow it to?

Thanks,
Gov

radish
2006-02-22, 09:23
When I purchase the SB3 device and listen to one of these smart playlists, will it automatically update the play count, play date/time etc? What if I were to listen to my music in another pc outside my home or at home?

Yes, provided you use the iTunes update plugin.

I see my library, but when I try to play it, it goes through the java install and brings up the player and keeps saying "Connecting to Slim Server" forever. When I play it in the Macintosh it self things seem to work.

For softsqueeze & squeezeboxes you also need 3483 open.

govardha
2006-02-22, 16:25
Hello Radish,

Thanks for your response.

I tried to install the iTunes package in my mac and when I try to invoke CPAN, that complains about the lack of "make" & ncftp. Is this problem fixable with the latest and greatest install of Xcode and ncftp?

Any other mac guru's please chime in also.

Thanks,
Gov

radish
2006-02-22, 17:09
I tried to install the iTunes package in my mac and when I try to invoke CPAN, that complains about the lack of "make" & ncftp. Is this problem fixable with the latest and greatest install of Xcode and ncftp?

I have no idea - best ask on the 3rd party plugins forum.

govardha
2006-02-22, 19:57
Radish,

Another clarification. When I try to play the music locally, it is barely audible.

I agree this is an hypothetical situation, but is this normal? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Govardhanen

radish
2006-02-22, 21:20
This is using softsqueeze? Did you check the volume setting? (I know that's obvious but I can't think of any other obvious reason it would be quiet).