PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox for the Blind?

zuvembi
2006-02-20, 15:41
One of my more clueful coworkers was talking to me about the Squeezebox. He's especially interested in it because of the ability to control a stereo component via web browser instead of "memorizing a remote" as he put it. As you might guess from the thread title, he is completely blind.

So that's one good feature the Slimserver has as an Accessability enabler.

What other base features or plugins are available that might help him?

I'm especially wondering if anyone has done any text to speech plugins? i.e. something like Festival being used between tracks to announce the next song.

stinkingpig
2006-02-20, 18:38
>
> One of my more clueful coworkers was talking to me about the Squeezebox.
> He's especially interested in it because of the ability to control a
> stereo component via web browser instead of "memorizing a remote" as he
> put it. As you might guess from the thread title, he is completely
> blind.
>
> So that's one good feature the Slimserver has as an Accessability
> enabler.
>
> What other base features or plugins are available that might help him?
>
> I'm especially wondering if anyone has done any text to speech plugins?
> i.e. something like Festival being used between tracks to announce the
> next song.
>

there's been conversation, which always ends with "shouldn't be too
difficult" and someone going off to investigate. Apparently it's more
difficult than it looks.
--
Jack Coates At Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin, so across the Western
ocean I must wander" - traditional

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-20, 21:13
See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20932

It looks like the best program to control the SlimServer web page would be Dragon Naturally Speaking.

This "Festival" program you mention forms the other part of the equation, audible feedback of the page to the user. Looks quite complicated though, although it is free.

seanadams
2006-02-20, 22:18
One of my more clueful coworkers was talking to me about the Squeezebox. He's especially interested in it because of the ability to control a stereo component via web browser instead of "memorizing a remote" as he put it. As you might guess from the thread title, he is completely blind.

So that's one good feature the Slimserver has as an Accessability enabler.

What other base features or plugins are available that might help him?

I'm especially wondering if anyone has done any text to speech plugins? i.e. something like Festival being used between tracks to announce the next song.

I've been using our remote long enough that I frequently control the squeezebox without looking at the remote or the display. A few things that come to mind:

- Once you have a playlist queued up, basic controls are just a matter or remembering where ff/rw/pause/vol keys are. One scenario might be to make one really large playlist, then only enable the up/down and "play" buttons. The playlist can then be navigated by remembering the order of the songs and scrolling up or down to get to where you want (no heirarchy requiring visual feedback to browse).

- You may want to disable some other keys such as power - one less state you don't want changing without visual feedback (this can be done easily in Slim_Devices_Remote.ir).

- I believe there's a plugin that lets you press and hold a number key to call up a predefined playlist. If there isn't then there should be. :)

A text-to-speech plugin that plays through the stereo system for navigating and choosing songs doesn't exist yet. However as you say, a text-to-speech-compatible web skin might be the easiest approach.

zuvembi
2006-02-21, 10:47
See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20932

It looks like the best program to control the SlimServer web page would be Dragon Naturally Speaking.

This "Festival" program you mention forms the other part of the equation, audible feedback of the page to the user. Looks quite complicated though, although it is free.

He already has all the various accoutrements for using the computer. He's also a programmer at my work, and he has "Windoweyes" and a couple braille displays. I know that the default webpage is mostly accessible since I frequently use it with 'links' myself [1].

As for Festival, I fiddled with it for a couple minutes this morning and managed to make it cough up wav files from straight txt acceptably.

[1] Which reminds me a few of the images in the default skin used for control buttons do *not* have ALT tags. I fixed this in my installation but never sent a patch. I should really get around to that...

zuvembi
2006-03-21, 13:26
Well, since we received our yearly bonuses plus some extra dosh, my coworker went ahead and bought the Squeezebox.

He's really enjoying it and had more trouble fiddling with his stereo inputs than setting it up. He's using his laptop as a 'remote' using the default web UI. He really only ran into a couple problems:

1) He was having problems transcoding from FLAC to mp3 streaming - I pointed him towards a pre-compiled LAME for windows and he was up and going.
2) The auto-refresh default was messing up his screen reader - he set the auto-refresh to 300 seconds and he's happy now.
3) In the 6.2.1 release, the player buttons (STOP, PLAY, SKIP, etc.) don't have ALT tags. I added them in the HTML and he's very happy now.

Regarding the last point, it looks like this has been fixed in the trunk, does anyone know for sure?