PDA

View Full Version : Moving SB btwn Wired and Wireless?

joncourage
2006-02-20, 11:30
I have a SB I'd like to be able to move between living room (wired) and kitchen (wireless).

It's configured for the wired network now.

- when I move it between the two locations, will the SB automatically know which network connection to use?

- In other words, if I plug it in to the wired net will it know to use that network and *not* the wireless (and how can I be sure which connection it's using)? When I move it to the wireless location, will it just automatically pick up the wireless and run with it?

Thanks!

joncourage
2006-02-20, 17:59
Well, I tried it.

I disconnected the ethernet cable and configured the wireless network (which incidentally worked perfectly straight off).

Plugging the wired network back in does not appear to cause the SB to automatically detect and prefer the wired network.

It seems to remain configured for the wireless network until I manually re-configure the SB to connect wired.

Oh well, so much for the portable SB idea....

SLIM - if you guys know of a way to do this or would consider writing this into the firmware (detect and prefer a wired connection if available, use wireless if not) that would be a very nice feature that would allow the SB to easily be moved around the house.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-21, 08:48
SLIM - if you guys know of a way to do this or would consider writing this into the firmware (detect and prefer a wired connection if available, use wireless if not) that would be a very nice feature that would allow the SB to easily be moved around the house.

Unfortuantely this is complicated by the fact that the device can act as a wireless bridge. If it's a wireless model and you suddenly use the wired connection you get the option to set up bridging.

It can't switch automatically because it doesn't know what you're using the wired connection for - is it for connection to the network or is it to a bridged, wired device?