PDA

View Full Version : Playlists?

pablolie
2006-02-19, 16:54
OK, I am confused.

Using WMP, I created playlists, and stored them in M3U format in the location that I configured the Slimserver to keep playlists. It randomly decides to accpet some, and ignore some. As I told Slimserver to rescan playlists, now it's forgotten about all of them. Very odd. Any things I ought to be thinking of?

I have Slimserver configured for the following music folder:
G:\My Music

and playlists folder as:
G:\SlimPlay

It is a mystery to me. The M3U playlist thing just has stopped working.

Using SlimServer Version: 6.2.2 - 6245 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

pablolie
2006-02-19, 18:39
...after re-installing the latest nightly, and scanning for playlists again, the same playlists show up again, and another one gets persistently ignored, even though it's in the same format... Odd.

Siduhe
2006-02-20, 05:10
OK, I am confused.

Using WMP, I created playlists, and stored them in M3U format in the location that I configured the Slimserver to keep playlists. It randomly decides to accpet some, and ignore some. As I told Slimserver to rescan playlists, now it's forgotten about all of them. Very odd. Any things I ought to be thinking of?

I have Slimserver configured for the following music folder:
G:\My Music

and playlists folder as:
G:\SlimPlay

It is a mystery to me. The M3U playlist thing just has stopped working.

Using SlimServer Version: 6.2.2 - 6245 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Are the files you are trying to add to the playlist on a different drive from your slimserver ? If so, it might be that Slimserver sees the path to the files differently from WMP. In order for a playlist to show up and work in Slimsever, the path of the playlist needs to be the same as the path that Slimserver uses to access your music.

In order to rule this out, open up one of the playlists with a text editor like notepad.

What is the path of the songs ? Is it the same path as you get if you go to the song path via the slimserver web interface (i.e. select the song in the web interface and drill down until it shows you the path) ?

If the path is not the same, you need to convert the playlists before Slimserver will recognise them. There are a few ways to do this, happy to set them out if this is likely to be the source of the problem.

pablolie
2006-02-20, 13:36
> Are the files you are trying to add to the playlist on a
> different drive from your slimserver ? If so, it might be
> that Slimserver sees the path to the files differently from
> WMP.

Slimserver resides on drice C:, however it is set up to look for music and playlists on drive G:. And I just use WMP to rip files to drive G:, or save M3Us to drive G:

What puzzles me is the inconsistent behavior. I notice if I tell Slkimserver to just clean its memory and rescan the entire library, it'll claim I have 0 albums and 0 songs on drive G:. How ever the SQB is able to find the music folders no problem, and over time Slimserver catches up again.

Very weird.

I should note my drive G: is a Netgear SC-101 mirrored network drive. But why should Slimserver care, it's simply another drive on my machine running Slimserver...

> In order for a playlist to show up and work in Slimsever, the
> path of the playlist needs to be the same as the path that
> Slimserver uses to access your music.

The path to music and Playlists can be configured on Slimserver, so I'd assume they can be different. I have them both on the same drive (G: in my case), but on different folders.

Siduhe
2006-02-20, 14:14
> Are the files you are trying to add to the playlist on a
> different drive from your slimserver ? If so, it might be
> that Slimserver sees the path to the files differently from
> WMP.

Slimserver resides on drice C:, however it is set up to look for music and playlists on drive G:. And I just use WMP to rip files to drive G:, or save M3Us to drive G:
I should note my drive G: is a Netgear SC-101 mirrored network drive. But why should Slimserver care, it's simply another drive on my machine running Slimserver...

The path to music and Playlists can be configured on Slimserver, so I'd assume they can be different. I have them both on the same drive (G: in my case), but on different folders.

I'm probably not explaining myself well here. Let me give you an example. I have a similar set up to you - slimserver on local, music on NAS.

WMP sees my Music Library as T:My Music. So if I look at the path of a song in WMP it shows "T:My Music\Album\Track.mp3". When WMP creates a playlist, it uses this same path.

Slimserver on the other hand sees the path to the same song on my networked drive as "\\server\My Music\Album\Track.mp3". So it doesn't know where the path "T:My Music" is and hence the playlists don't show up unless I convert the path.

Have you actually looked at the path of your individual songs both in Slimserver and WMP by drilling down to the properties ? Are they definitely the same (regardless of what your Music Library settings are) ?

If so, we can rule this out as a potential cause.

When you say that the M3U thing has just stopped working, did it always work before ? Have you made any changes to your set up (like updating firmware or adding security / antivirus or other programs) ?

pablolie
2006-02-20, 23:39
...for the follow-up. There are no differences in the playlists the SQB/SS decide to accept vs the once they decide to ignore. Perhas one notable difference: the presence of Spanish characters (vocals with accents) within the song names... could that make a difference? Other than that, I am at a loss to understand. But the other lists are english only, the one with spanish titles is the one M3U that just gets ignored...

Siduhe
2006-02-21, 03:08
Well sleuthed - does this recent bug sound like your problem ?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2906

If so, add your vote. You could also try renaming your tracks / tags to ISOLatin-1 which may help.

If not, it might help Slim in resolving the problem if you enable d_scan and run "Rescan playlists only". The log may show Slimserver trying to get at these files and failing. If so can you add the relevant section of the log to the bug ?

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-21, 06:46
YOu know, with so many people using a networked drive, perhaps there should be a server setting to translate playlists on the fly. I guess a lot of people create playlists with software other than the slimserver interface.

For my system it would be:

y:\music\ (translated to) /mnt/hdc1/music/

Siduhe
2006-02-21, 06:50
YOu know, with so many people using a networked drive, perhaps there should be a server setting to translate playlists on the fly. I guess a lot of people create playlists with software other than the slimserver interface.

For my system it would be:

y:\music\ (translated to) /mnt/hdc1/music/

Noted and very much agreed. In the interim, have you seen this handy utility though which adds a few clicks but is very easy to master. Miles better looking and more effective than the script I originally wrote to do this job on my NAS:

http://www.joejaworski.com/m3u/

pablolie
2006-02-21, 10:58
..the playlist that Slimserver refuses to load... (hoepfully shows up, changed file ext to .txt, whould be M3U... but doesn't...?

pablolie
2006-02-22, 17:44
...between WMP and SQB - am I the only one that observes them to be incompatible with some regularity? WMP can not open a playlist that I created with SQB and that is reported to be M3U under the WinXP file system...