PDA

View Full Version : Canadians: Please share your experience with UPS when odering SB3

raylpc
2006-02-19, 14:18
Hi Fellow Canadians,

I live in Toronto and want to buy 2 SB3's directly from slimdevices.com because of the US$100 off 2 SB3's discount. However, they ship via UPS. UPS got a notoriously bad reputation across the boarder because of its insane brokerage fees.

So if you have odered from slimdevices.com, could you share how much UPS charged you beside the GST & PST?

Thanks,

Ray

Funkmaster
2006-02-19, 14:20
I got charged $48 brokerage fees by UPS here in Winnipeg. Hope this helps

Larry

raylpc
2006-02-19, 14:50
Larry,

Thanks for the info. Was that the brokerage fees alone? You're not counting the GST & PST, are you?

Thanks,

Ray

Funkmaster
2006-02-19, 17:53
More specifically the $48 was Import charges, essentially GST, and PST based on the value for duty. I only picked up 1 Squeezebox and those were the charges.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-19, 18:27
Note you should not be charged duty! The Squeezebox is made in the USA and so it is duty-exempt under NAFTA.

You *will* be charged both GST and PST specific to your province. Yes, it amounted to about $48 IIRC.

UPS can be cute and will sometimes charge "customs and brokerage fees" (not duty) but they did not do this in my case. When I have been charged "customs and brokerage" it amounted to $15 CDN for every $100 US. But again, I was not charged this for the Squeezebox.

raylpc
2006-02-20, 09:31
Larry and Mark, thanks for clarifying :) Looks like I can save quite some bucks.

danny6869
2006-02-20, 09:49
Larry and Mark, thanks for clarifying :) Looks like I can save quite some bucks.

Save yourself some worry, and order in canadian from www.kawarthatv.com. That's where I ordered all of mine from.

(Never order anything from the states via UPS...their brokerage fee is unreasonable...SLIM DEVICES TAKE NOTE)