PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Can't connect to wireless network

Dave G
2006-02-19, 13:52
Hi,

This is my first post here -- sorry it has to be about a problem. I have a Squeezebox 3 and have been using it for 2 months using a wireless connection. I use it every day and have had no connection problems during this period. But then 2 days ago it wouldn't connect to the network when I turned it on. I have no idea why.

I've tried rebooting the router and the SB. I reset the SB to the factory default settings and set up the network connection again from scratch. I used System Restore to put my PC back where it had been a few days before I lost the connection. I brought the SB to the room where my computer is and it still wouldn't connect wireless, although it connects right away if I use an ethernet cable.

I've run out of ideas. Anyone have advice on other things I might try or what the problem(s) might be?

Someone is sure to ask this: I have a Linksys WRT54G v. 5 router.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

crooner
2006-02-19, 14:04
Do you have any nearby WI-FI signals in your area? Perhaps the neighbor bought a router and it's using the same channel as yours, causing interference. 2.4 GHz phones can also wreck havock. I have my network on channel 11.

Do you any additional appliances or computers hooked up to the network? If so, check if they work normally. I use a laptop with WIF-Fi on the same network as the squeezebox.

What kind of encryption are you using? Make sure you are entering the right key into the SB.

crooner
2006-02-19, 14:07
Forgot to mention, does the SB3 see the actual wireless signal but can't connect, or it doesn't see anything at all. This is very important.

You have to make sure the wireless signal is being broadcast. You may want to use a "field survey" tool of some sort to detect your WI-FI signal. A laptop would be ideal but there are small USB gadgets that can do this for you.

If there's no WI-FI signal your router may be shot. It might still function as a ethernet hub though...

Dave G
2006-02-20, 12:34
Crooner,

Thanks for responding.

I've got the encryption right -- it's WPA Personal. The SB3 is the only device connected wireless. The 2 computers are connected by ethernet cable.

The SB3 appears not to see a signal at all. You think the rounter may be shot? The darn thing is only 2 months old and worked fine during that period, but I guess it could be shot. This "small USB gadget" you speak of, is that something a Radio Shack might carry?

Thanks.

Dave

P.S. I started a similar thread over on Audio Circles, where I know you also post. Feel free to respond over there if you'd like.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-21, 08:54
The SB3 appears not to see a signal at all.

Do you mean it doesn't even see the SSID?

In my experience, the SB can see the SSID of routers it can't even communicate with. So if it can't see the SSID anymore, there has been a hardware failure. It's impossible to tell if the failure is in the router or the SB without some other wireless device though.

Try changing the SSID. Can the SB see the new one?

crooner
2006-02-21, 16:38
You are welcome Dave,
You may want to "reset" the router (using a ballpoint pen probably) and see if it starts working again. Static electricity sometimes causes wierd things with digital equipment.

The little WiFi signal detector looks like a USB flash drive, perhaps slightly larger. I know Fry's has it. Probably CompUSA as well.

Crooner,

Thanks for responding.

I've got the encryption right -- it's WPA Personal. The SB3 is the only device connected wireless. The 2 computers are connected by ethernet cable.

The SB3 appears not to see a signal at all. You think the rounter may be shot? The darn thing is only 2 months old and worked fine during that period, but I guess it could be shot. This "small USB gadget" you speak of, is that something a Radio Shack might carry?

Thanks.

Dave

P.S. I started a similar thread over on Audio Circles, where I know you also post. Feel free to respond over there if you'd like.

Dave G
2006-02-24, 08:44
Marc and Crooner,

Thanks for the followup advice. I finally got everything working after a quick call to Slim Devices tech support on Wednesday evening -- my problem started Friday night, and between the long weekend and family stuff on Tuesday, this was the first chance I had to call them. The problem, as you suspected, was that the router somehow had lost all my settings. Once I reentered the settings and changed channels, my Squeezebox was finally able to recognize the network, but it couldn't establish a connection. It took the tech just a minute or so to figure out that I was not putting the right password into my Squeezebox settings. I kept entering the password for my local network, when I should have been entering the key I had created for WPA encryption.

Thanks again.

Dave