PDA

View Full Version : Internet radio - "Metadata byte not read" and crashes

rednaxela
2006-02-19, 09:22
I'm both a newbie and a non-coder, so please bear with me. Perhaps this should be a bug report, but I'm loathe to "report a bug" when my difficulties may well be my fault.

I have a SB1 and SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252 installed. I'm running the SB1 on a mixed 802.11b/g network.

I have no problems playing .mp3 and flac files off my hard drive on the SB1, on Softsqueeze on the host computer, or by remote streaming via stream.mp3 at work.

I am, however, experiencing two problems with streaming internet radio stations, which may or may not be related:

1. When I try to "tune in" some internet radio stations through the SB1 (e.g., WAMU, which is http://wamu.ic.llnwd.net/stream/wamu wamu), the SB1 seems to tune in (I get the note symbol on the screen) but nothing happens. http://localhost:9000/log.txt has a couple of pages full of the following:

2006-02-19 11:08:24.6877 Metadata byte not read, trying again: Unknown error
2006-02-19 11:08:24.6879 metadata size: 0

I CAN, however, get the stream to play through SoftSqueeze on the computer that's running slimserver.

Any ideas on how to figure out what's going wrong and what to do to fix it?

2. My computer will, with some frequency, completely lock up when I'm playing internet radio streams. Mouse pointer won't move, Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't do anything, etc.

They only experiements I've been able to try are (i) to shut down all non-essential programs that normally run in the background and (ii) to play the streams through the SB1 when XP is still at the login stream (i.e., I haven't completed the login process and thus a number of startup programs haven't loaded yet). The computer still locks up in both cases. True both when playing through the SB1 or through stream.mp3. Don't know about softsqueeze.

I've tried to check the logs, but they appear to be cleared after a hard reboot.

Again, how can I start to figure out what's going on so I can fix it?

Thanks for any help!