PDA

View Full Version : Several questions - HELP!

Geoggy
2006-02-19, 01:36
Hi,

Have been having constant wireless problems with SB3, to the point where I am thinking of changing my router (Dlink G604T).

Before I do, can anyone offer some guidance on the following

1. Does anyone have this router and their SB3 wireless work OK?

2. I've read about "new firmware" that has "solved wireless issues". Where and how do i get this?

3. I've read about ports needing to be opened on the router for SB3. What are they?

4. Ive got open ports on the router for Xbox 360 - in fact it is opening these ports which stops the SB3 connection to the G604T - even though the router opens ports specific to network IP addresses - GO FIGURE!!

I might add i'm UK based - so if anyone can help on the specific router (not sure they sell it in the US ???) then that would be great.

5. FINALLY - if none of the above works and the network connection on the SB 3 will still not work solidly - which UK wireless router would you recommend that you have, that works 100% on wireless with SB3

Many many thanks

G

JJZolx
2006-02-19, 03:13
Have been having constant wireless problems with SB3, to the point where I am thinking of changing my router (Dlink G604T).

Before I do, can anyone offer some guidance on the following

1. Does anyone have this router and their SB3 wireless work OK?
I don't, but I do have a D-Link wireless access point. The impression that I've gotten is that Squeezeboxes generally work well with D-Link wireless products.

It might help to explain exactly how the wireless router is set up - what kind of encryption you're using, etc.

2. I've read about "new firmware" that has "solved wireless issues". Where and how do i get this?
You'll need to upgrade to the latest nightly release of version SlimServer 6.2.2 in order to get the latest firmware version 33.

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

3. I've read about ports needing to be opened on the router for SB3. What are they?
Once you successfully connect to your wireless router, your Squeezebox will be behind your router's firewall on your internal network, as will SlimServer. It shouldn't be necessary to open any ports on the router as they're usually configured by default to permit all internal traffic. If you've read about people opening ports in their routers, it's generally when they're trying to connect to their SlimServers from computers out on the Internet. Worry about that later if you want to do the same.

Where you might need to open ports would be on the SlimServer computer if it's running a firewall. A good idea might be to try hooking up your Squeezebox to using a wired connection first. If your Squeezebox successfully connects to your SlimServer using a wired connection, then you don't have to worry about opening any ports on the server.

4. Ive got open ports on the router for Xbox 360 - in fact it is opening these ports which stops the SB3 connection to the G604T - even though the router opens ports specific to network IP addresses - GO FIGURE!!
Not sure what you're saying... Did the Squeezebox successfully connect to the wireless network and to SlimServer before you made these changes for the Xbox, then stopped working?

Geoggy
2006-02-19, 10:13
hi thanks for you reply.

in answer to your questions

1. I am using WPA. No "odd set up", everything pretty much from factoroy defualt apart from opening some ports. UPNP disabled.

2. Ignore me on the open ports - thats what i figured - but was told on another thread that I had to open ports for the SB.

3. Re the Xbox - yes - the SB3 was connected and working 100% fine until i opened the ports on the router in order to open NAT for the XBOX 360.

Now the squeezebox cant find the wireless network again. I know if i factory reset the router then al will be fine again, but surely I should not have to do this???