PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying

dapex
2006-02-18, 16:07
Hi all, i am thinking about buying a squeezebox but I have on equestion, i want to put al my music onto an external HD connected to a network adapter (linksys NSLU2, will I be able to run the slim sevrer on this?? I know that twonkyvision have a version for this box, so can i use twonkyvision with the SB???

richidoo
2006-02-18, 16:52
This is a place to start reading.
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

I am not Linux guy, Windows works fine for me, but from what I have read, the slug is a viable solution. Drawbacks of using it for music server include limited HD space compared to multi disk arrays, and slow performance of the slimserver interface reported by some people. Others have no problems.

There are other choices for stand alone music servers, like Buffalo and Infrant ReadyNAS. They cost more money, but are worth it to me. Music listening enjoyment is more important than linux tweaking. To many they are equal in importance, so you can play at two hobbies at once!!
Rich

tyler_durden
2006-02-18, 18:48
I looked into NAS devices and found that I was able to press an old PC into use as a dedicated server for less cost. I have a 250GB drive in the machine and a 250 external USB2 drive for backup/portability.

So far 600+ CDs encoded to .flac and I have about 45GB of space left on each of the drives.

If you have an old PC laying around, all you need to do is put in a network card (if it doesn't already have one- cheap), a big HDD or two, an OS (try a free linux build), and slimserver.

TD

funkstar
2006-02-19, 05:32
Hi all, i am thinking about buying a squeezebox but I have on equestion, i want to put al my music onto an external HD connected to a network adapter (linksys NSLU2, will I be able to run the slim sevrer on this?? I know that twonkyvision have a version for this box, so can i use twonkyvision with the SB???
To run a SqueezeBox you need to have Slimserver installed somewhere. The SqueezeBox its self does very little, it basically just recieves a music stream from the server and displays what the server tells it on the screen. There is pretty much no intelegence in the SB itself.

You can either use a NAS box to run the server itself, or you can use it just to hold the music and have SlimServer running on a regular PC/Laptop.

dapex
2006-02-19, 14:22
thanks for all the info folks, I am not sure i like the idea of running a pc just for the music server. Its more hassle to store it somewhere and if it does die or snyhting, then I have to start hooking up a keyboard and mouse and screen etc. but the main issue would be space.

Also, I do like the idea of external drives so I can just unplug and pop it round to a mates house for what ever reason:)

The external caddy is cheap nowadays, the NSLU2 can be got for about 50, so it still works out to be much cheaper than a pc...

Cheers I will have to think about and read up more on the problemss of speed with the NSLU2.