PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this is another dumb question...

DeathFromAbove
2006-02-18, 12:07
In addition to the IP address my DHCP server granted it for some reason the slimserver also keeps picking up 127.0.0.1 and I have no idea why this is...

I'm also feeling retarded because I can't get softsqueeze 2.2 to work either.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-18, 12:12
127.0.0.1 is 'localhost' -- every machine on the 'net is 127.0.0.1 to itself, and no one else.

It's normal. :)

DeathFromAbove
2006-02-18, 12:16
I see - so it's the laptop I am streaming music from or it's the SB3 itself?

Is it normal that it be listed? I think I told it to forget it because it kept defaulting to it for some reason...

snarlydwarf
2006-02-18, 12:39
It's the laptop.

My system does the same thing. Is it a Linux box perchance?

The way networking sets up, at least on the stock debian install, it likes to throw the hostname in on the same line as 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts

Part of that is that it's set to use DHCP (yeah, yeah, I know, but I was lazy and in a hurry when I set that machine up) so it doesn't have a fixed IP to attach the name to, so it attaches it to localhost....

One of these days I'll fix it. :)

Kyle
2006-02-18, 12:40
The machine that hosts Slimserver does almost all of the work. The device itself simply receives the stream and passes it along to your stereo. Nearly all functions are controlled by the software on your computer, except Squeeze Network, which bypasses the host computer.

DeathFromAbove
2006-02-22, 21:10
Ok wait...maybe I screwed myself up...
so it is possible to have simultaneous playback from my wireless laptop and the stereo connected to my SB3? That could be really cool at times...because the speakers on the laptop are actually decent...could have that in a room where the stereo wasn't.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-22, 21:55
Ok wait...maybe I screwed myself up...
so it is possible to have simultaneous playback from my wireless laptop and the stereo connected to my SB3? That could be really cool at times...because the speakers on the laptop are actually decent...could have that in a room where the stereo wasn't.

Yes, you have 3 possibilities for doing this:

- SoftSqueeze, the Java Squeezebox emulator

- squeezeslave, an early SoftSqueeze replacement. No GUI at this point but playback is sounding very good.

- any software player capable of playing an MP3 stream (Winamp, foobar, WMP too IIRC)

Regarding playing them simultaneously, perfect synch is a little tricky. You'll have better results with SoftSqueeze and especially squeezeslave, but the software player will have a very severe lag due to buffering.

DeathFromAbove
2006-02-22, 22:18
Ok got my laptop and SB3 playing same time, except there is a delay...I tried installing the special java plug in but it will not work!

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-23, 06:26
Ok got my laptop and SB3 playing same time, except there is a delay...I tried installing the special java plug in but it will not work!

Yes as I indicated synch does not always work. It's a recurring issue, there are a lot of people looking into it.

Java is a little bloated and laggy. squeezeslave is an attempt to make a native interface - one not going through Java. Although squeezeslave is in the early stages, it's light and fast. You probably have your best chance getting synched playback with squeezeslave.

squeezeslave is made by the same developer as SoftSqueeze and is available from the same place:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105169

If you're running it on the same machine as SlimServer, you just have to execute it on the command line. If you're running it on a different machine, you have to execute it on the command line followed by your SlimServer's IP address, i.e:

squeezeslave.exe 192.168.1.2

There's also a provision for operating multiples, specifying them by MAC address through the --mac switch, like so:

squeezeslave.exe --mac 00:00:00:00:00:01

DeathFromAbove
2006-02-25, 06:46
Downloaded squeeze slave, created a c:program files folder for it called squeezeslave and extracted the files. Then ran the application which opened a DOS window.

But when I entered that command line,
squeezeslave.exe 192.168.1.2 it didn't work...Also tried the IP assigned to my SB3: 192.168.15.102

Sorry, I'm not very technical! ;-)

danco
2006-02-25, 08:10
The 192.168.1.2 given by Mark was just an example, not something that would work on your system.

As the SB3 (whose address definitely won't work) has address 192.168.15.102 it is likely that your computer has address 192.168.15.101.

Try this. If it doesn't work, then you will need to find out the address of the computer. As you don't say what your OS is, and I only know Macs, I can't tell you how to find the address. I suppose you could try other number of the form 192.168.15.10? until you got one that worked.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-25, 09:31
Yes, squeezeslave needs to point to the IP address of the computer running SlimServer.

On a Windows XP computer running SlimServer, go to Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt and type "ipconfig".

If your SB3 has address 192.168.15.102 your SlimServer will have something in the address range 192.168.15.1 to 192.168.15.255.

DeathFromAbove
2006-02-27, 10:09
Thanks for the replies. I will try again this evening although I think most of the time I will just be streaming to the stereo, not trying to do both. Eventually I may add more SB3s for a whole house system...:)

However I thought the IP a computer automatically assigned itself was 127.0.0.1?

snarlydwarf
2006-02-27, 10:29
Every machine is 127.0.0.1. MachineA can't talk to MachineB on that IP, it can only talk to itself.

(This is why, if you run Slimserver on the same PC as your web browser, the interface can be found at 127.0.0.1:9000 .. if your web browser is on a different machine, you'll need to use the 'real' IP or name of the server.)

lade
2006-02-28, 02:43
In addition to the IP address my DHCP server granted it for some reason the slimserver also keeps picking up 127.0.0.1 and I have no idea why this is...

I'm also feeling retarded because I can't get softsqueeze 2.2 to work either.

I see - so it's the laptop I am streaming music from or it's the SB3 itself?

Is it normal that it be listed? I think I told it to forget it because it kept defaulting to it for some reason...

Yes - it is normal that it is listed. Looking something like

Server Settings
Player Settings for 127.0.0.1
Player Settings for <IP adress of SB>

127.0.0.1 is actually the IP adress Softsqueeze is reporting back to the server (i.e. local loop adresse of the machine both the server and softsqueeze are running on).

So every time youtell Slimserver to orget 127.0.0.1 you are disabling Softsqueeze...

Lade

emm
2006-03-26, 21:38
okay I, too, cannot get slimserver to stream to my PC after reading this and other threads. Here's what I've done:

(1) Open iTunes and choose "Open Stream" from Advanced dropdown menu
(2) Enter "http://127.0.0.1:9000/stream.mp3"
(3) Wait 15 seconds and go to my Slimserver interface, where in the upper right corner I see a menu list with a dropdown arrow listing my SB3 in my living room AND, successfully listing 127.0.0.1
(3)(a) I have done this same routine to create players for each of the IP addresses associated with my LAN nad my Wireless network just in case 127.0.0.1 was the wrong IP address to use (since I don't actually understand the concept)
(4) Choose the 127.0.0.1 player from the Slimserver menu
(5) Add songs to a playlist and try to play them using the Slimserver interface (not the iTunes play button).

Songs will not play. The "play" command in Slimserver will not engage. I can change the shuffle settings, for example, but not the Play button. I tried these same steps with the other 2 IP addresses/players I created, but no dice.

What am I doing wrong? Help is most appreciated.
emm

ceejay
2006-03-26, 23:59
okay I, too, cannot get slimserver to stream to my PC after reading this and other threads. Here's what I've done:

(1) Open iTunes and choose "Open Stream" from Advanced dropdown menu
(2) Enter "http://127.0.0.1:9000/stream.mp3"
(3) Wait 15 seconds and go to my Slimserver interface, where in the upper right corner I see a menu list with a dropdown arrow listing my SB3 in my living room AND, successfully listing 127.0.0.1
(3)(a) I have done this same routine to create players for each of the IP addresses associated with my LAN nad my Wireless network just in case 127.0.0.1 was the wrong IP address to use (since I don't actually understand the concept)
(4) Choose the 127.0.0.1 player from the Slimserver menu
(5) Add songs to a playlist and try to play them using the Slimserver interface (not the iTunes play button).

Songs will not play. The "play" command in Slimserver will not engage. I can change the shuffle settings, for example, but not the Play button. I tried these same steps with the other 2 IP addresses/players I created, but no dice.

What am I doing wrong? Help is most appreciated.
emm

emm, I'm a bit puzzled about what you are trying to do here.

If you are trying to run iTunes on the same computer that slimserver is running on, then yes 127.0.0.1 is the right address - but why do something so complicated? Why not just use iTunes to play the music directly (point it at the same library of music)? Or, if you really want to be using the Slimserver web interface, use Softsqueeze as the player? Either way, you will find it much more usable than the stream.mp3 route.

If iTunes is running on a different computer from slimserver, then you need a different IP address: the one for the computer that slimserver is running on (open up a Command Prompt box and type ipconfig).

HTH

Ceejay

emm
2006-03-27, 07:47
Ceejay - The main reason I'm trying to stream Slimserver to my PC instead of using iTunes to manage my music library is because I have 2 libraries: (1) iTunes compressed AAC files for my iPod, and (2) FLAC files for my stereo that I manage with Slimserver. I could change the default library in my iTunes player to point to my FLAC file library, but then I'd have to remember to change it back each time I sync my iPod and it probably takes time to import such a large library into iTunes.

Does that make sense? Is there a simple solution I'm overlooking?
Thx
emm

ceejay
2006-03-27, 09:20
Ceejay - The main reason I'm trying to stream Slimserver to my PC instead of using iTunes to manage my music library is because I have 2 libraries: (1) iTunes compressed AAC files for my iPod, and (2) FLAC files for my stereo that I manage with Slimserver. I could change the default library in my iTunes player to point to my FLAC file library, but then I'd have to remember to change it back each time I sync my iPod and it probably takes time to import such a large library into iTunes.

Does that make sense? Is there a simple solution I'm overlooking?
Thx
emm

OK, so there is just one computer, right? With slimserver, iTunes and two sets of music (compressed AAC and FLAC)?

And you want to play music on the computer, but you'd rather be listening to high quality FLACs than grungy compressed AACs?

Fine:

So why use iTunes? If you have a FLAC library on your computer, you can play it with Softsqueeze (if you like controlling it from the slimserver web interface), or play it with MusicIP if you like something that looks a bit like iTunes, or foobar2000, or ....

I can understand why you want iTunes on the computer - for managing your iPod - but am struggling to see why you're going for a complicated way to play music on the computer.

However, if you really must, then 127.0.0.1 should be the right answer, though just occasionally people find themselves with systems that don't respond to that address, you could always try the real IP address of your computer (see earlier post...)

HTH

Ceejay

emm
2006-03-28, 18:34
Ceejay - Thanks for the ideas. I prefer the simplest way of playing FLACs on my PC but didn't understand how to accomplish it. I don't really even like iTunes but am married to it for my iPod. I've tried WinAmp before. Would you suggest it? I love the simplicity of Foobar but it doesn't seem to let you manage your music library the way Slimserver or iTunes do. What mp3 player would you recommend?
emm

ceejay
2006-03-29, 00:54
Ceejay - Thanks for the ideas. I prefer the simplest way of playing FLACs on my PC but didn't understand how to accomplish it. I don't really even like iTunes but am married to it for my iPod. I've tried WinAmp before. Would you suggest it? I love the simplicity of Foobar but it doesn't seem to let you manage your music library the way Slimserver or iTunes do. What mp3 player would you recommend?
emm

You have many options, then, here are my suggestions:

(1) Use Softsqueeze for playing music on your PC. This is what I mostly do when I just want to listen to something while I'm in the room with the music server in it. There is a newer program, Squeezeslave, discussed here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21223 which has no GUI and is controlled entirely from the slimserver web interface, if you like that idea. Personally I like the familiar appearance of Softsqueeze.

(2) Alternatively, I sometimes use MusicIP Mixer (formerly MusicMagicMixer), which you can just point at your FLAC library and then use to play or mix. There are additional integrations with slimserver available if you want to, but this is strictly optional.

(3) If you are running on Windows then many people are enjoying using Moose, discussed much on these forums, as a friendly player.

HTH

Ceejay

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-29, 07:12
(3) If you are running on Windows then many people are enjoying using Moose, discussed much on these forums, as a friendly player.

A minor note: Moose isn't a player, it's an alternate SlimServer GUI.

emm
2006-03-30, 22:21
Okay ceejay - I tried just about everything you suggested:
(1) Moose - Looked like a nice front end, but it's inconsistent and buggy on my system and won't open the GUI everytime. So no go.
(2) Winamp (I know you didn't suggest Winamp but I thought I'd give it a try bcs it's everyone's favorite - turns out it doesn't play FLACs as far as I could tell)
(3) Squeezeslave - I'm too much of a beginner to mess with command line configurations
(4) Softsqueeze - Eureka! It just plain works. No fuss. Thank you so much for your help! Don't think I'll be able to return the favor anytime soon but you've been great.

Thx
emm