PDA

View Full Version : DHCP Connects to 169.254.92.233, But Nothing Works

scottmcmullan
2006-02-18, 12:02
I've connected my squeezebox, specified my correct SSID, entered my WEP-Personal password, specified DHCP, and it comes back with a connection to 169.254.92.233.

But that looks funny -- should be a 192.168.x.x address.

And it can't find my server, can't find the squeezebox network, and in general is totally unhappy.

What network is it connecting to? Any help on how to get it to connect to the network I tell it to connect to?

snarlydwarf
2006-02-18, 12:11
That's the IP the Squeezebox assigns itself when DHCP doesn't give it a response.

So the question would be "why wouldn't it get a response?"

This could be a bunch of reasons: the most common, I bet, is that you have entered the SSID wrong (case matters, spaces at the end matter) or have entered the keys wrong. (You say WEP-Personal ... do you mean WPA-Personal? There is a huge difference: WEP is insecure, breakable in a couple minutes. WPA doesn't have a known weakness at the moment.) Make sure you choose the correct one.

Check your key again: spaces at the end are hard to spot and they do count. Use the ADD button to remove them.

Try doing the setup closer to your router if that still doesn't work: it could be just too weak of a signal.

scottmcmullan
2006-02-18, 12:17
Thanks for the response.

This whole "fallback IP" thing seems really stupid. Or at least has no apparent value to us users.

I just went back and entered a bogus WEP-personal password and sure enough, it led me down the garden path by saying I was connected fine to 169.x.x.x.

Note to slim devices: give us real error messages!

snarlydwarf
2006-02-18, 12:33
In this case, yes, since a SB with no real IP is.. a brick.

But it is a 'standard': supported by every version of Windows since '98 and MacOS since 8.5. The logic is that you might not always have a DHCP server around, and the "link local" network lets network devices just make one up and get away with it.

If you just a wireless card in your PC and set up for Ad Hoc networking (and assuming no network issues :)), you would see the same sort of IP number and it would actually... work.

It would be nice if it said (maybe it does and just clears it quickly) "Couldn't get an IP from the DHCP server" just as a heads up.

scottmcmullan
2006-02-18, 12:34
Right, I meant WPA-Personal. The data encyption is set to TKIP.

I double checked my password and it's right. (simple word, no spaces or caps or numbers)

Still hunting for a solution...

snarlydwarf
2006-02-18, 12:35
Oh, and I don't know if it can actually say that your passphrase is bad.

I would think that it just encrypts the packets and sends them: I don't believe there is an 802.11 "sorry, wrong encryption!" message sent back from routers. So it has no real way of knowing whether the passphrase is good: just whether it got a response from a DHCP server to the encrypted packet it sent.

Siduhe
2006-02-18, 12:40
Do you have a firewall set up - either on your router or on the box that has slimserver running (or both) ?

If the former, you may need to configure your router to allow the SB to connect.

If the latter, you may need to configure the firewall on the PC / Mac / other.

Some basic info is here http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_faq.html#networking - but if you give us some more details of your set up, we may be able to give some more specific suggestions.

What OS ?
What version slimserver is installed ?
What router (and which firmware of that router) ?
Any firewall ?
Are you telling slimserver to look for a static IP or are you using the router to set the IP ?

scottmcmullan
2006-02-18, 12:46
I'm not at the connect to slimserver step yet -- just trying to get the sb to get a valid IP address, and then connect to SlimNetwork.

I've got a run of the mill Linksys WRT54G v5 router. No special configuration -- it's an out of the box configuration using WPA-Personal encryption. They've got a button on the front which kicks off a wizard and I chose all the defaults. Don't know the firmware (bought it ~1 mo ago)

I've got two Windows XP laptops that connect no problem. Both set to WPA-personal using TKIP.

Does sb support TKIP, or just AES?

dancarne
2006-02-18, 12:55
I'd just get it to connect without encryption first. I have that router and DHCP assignment happens very quickly.

By the way, the factory firmware definitely had a bug in it. I had to upgrade to get rid of pathetic performance with some websites.

Dan

snarlydwarf
2006-02-18, 13:10
The SB supports WPA/TKIP but not WPA/AES. It supports WPA2/AES (though that may or may not work well... some people have problems with it, but, then it's "new" so unclear whether its the SB or the routers at fault).

Siduhe
2006-02-18, 13:12
I'm not at the connect to slimserver step yet -- just trying to get the sb to get a valid IP address, and then connect to SlimNetwork.

I've got a run of the mill Linksys WRT54G v5 router. No special configuration -- it's an out of the box configuration using WPA-Personal encryption. They've got a button on the front which kicks off a wizard and I chose all the defaults. Don't know the firmware (bought it ~1 mo ago)

I've got two Windows XP laptops that connect no problem. Both set to WPA-personal using TKIP.

Does sb support TKIP, or just AES?

SB supports TKIP. Ok, so we've narrowed down the issue to the router. Your router is listed as those that work fine with the SB in the router status page, so it may just be a question of permissions.

[edited - just realised my suggestion here wouldn't be relevant if all you are trying to do is connect to your network !)

I've never tried to set up the way you are (SN only rather than configuring slimserver), but can you specify the IP address of your router as one of the steps or is is always detected automatically ?

Agree with the suggestion of removing the security encryption on your network temporarily. If the SB connects without encryption, it's almost certainly a password issue (in which case check for spaces at the end of the word very carefully !) As Dan says below, the v5 version of your router had a new firmware released because of problems with the default firmware and some hardware. May also be worth considering.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3410&p_created=1138999854&p_sid=C*Q4*u*h&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD00OTkmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc GFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

scottmcmullan
2006-02-18, 13:48
My password was actually wrong... :-O

Thank you for everyone who jumped in right away to help! I'm incredibly impressed by this community.

There's some good learning here for SlimDevices to improve this product:

*When you ask for a password, tell the user when it's wrong, or might be wrong. Don't lead them down the garden path w/some other "default" connection that doesn't work.*

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-20, 09:34
*When you ask for a password, tell the user when it's wrong, or might be wrong. Don't lead them down the garden path w/some other "default" connection that doesn't work.*

As snarlydwarf indicated, this is the normal way things work in a networking environment. It's just following the standard - and furthermore, it probably has more to do with the wireless card than with the SB itself - Slim has previously indicated they get very little data back from the wireless card.

Also snarlydwarf indicates that the 802.11 standard has no "sorry, that's the wrong passphrase" indication to send back.

But yes, it should be more elegant and let you know when it receives nothing from the DHCP server, possibly due to an incorrect passphrase. This has been identified and is being worked on - bump up its priority a bit by voting here:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2997

At 0 votes, it's currently not high-priority. However, the bug was opened by the CEO himself, so this may be a bit misleading. The enhancement was only opened last week.

To vote, you need to create a bugs.slimdevices.com account. Takes 30 seconds.