PDA

View Full Version : Arg... HELP!

Mike Anderson
2006-02-18, 09:16
Alright...

I'm running Windows XP with an SB2. I made the huge mistake of trying to install the latest nightly. when it tries to update the SB2's firmware, the thing hangs. It says "Press and hold the brightness key" but when I do that, nothing happens...

I've tried reverting to Slimserver 6.2.1. Even removed the old Slimserver using the control panel, deleted all files, etc.

Nothing. I still get the problem that when it says "Press and hold the brightness key", nothing happens if I do so.

How can I fix this, does anybody know? I think I remember seeing someone else with this problem, but I can't find the thread now.

Siduhe
2006-02-18, 09:20
If you tried to upgrade to 6.5, I think you need to delete your slimserver.pref file before rolling back to 6.2.1 or 6.2.2. as the database build is so different.

Mike Anderson
2006-02-18, 09:30
^^^ Right, I did that.

Anyway, I think it's working OK now.

Has anybody else been able to upgrade from 6.2.1 to 6.5 on Windows XP with an SB2?

Mike Anderson
2006-02-18, 10:26
OK, I'm guessing (can someone confirm) you have to wait until Slimserver is done scanning in your music library before you attempt the firmware update.

Mike Anderson
2006-02-18, 11:10
I went back to try to install the latest nightly again, and at this point I can't even get my browser to open Slimserver. I assume it's still scanning in my library (the Task Manager shows slim.exe running, and the external HD with my music is chugging away) - but with past versions I could at least open a browser window.

Is this normal, or should I just forget about it and stick with 6.2?

Michaelwagner
2006-02-18, 13:12
There are, at any time, 3 versions of Slim server available (for each platform ... so more like 9 versions, not counting the Linux sub-types).

The released version, that you find on page
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

2 nightly versions are available at:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

The first one of the 2 nightlies, currently 6.2.2, contains specific fixes to specific function in the current released version. Running 6.2.2 is pretty straightforward, it runs like 6.2.1, just a number of bugs have been fixed.

The other nightly, 6.5, is actually quite experimental, and is more used by the developers to test out new ideas. New function goes into 6.5 (and not into the "safer" 6.2.2).

You probably shouldn't go to 6.5 without specific advice to do so from a developer, because it will be quite different and you may need specific instruction to get things going. For instance, the database format changed a lot in 6.5, as did the way pages are served up to the user interface.

I hope this makes things clearer.

Mike Anderson
2006-02-18, 13:45
^^^ Yes, I was aware of most of that.

I went to 6.5 because I want the volume bug fix, and I'm not sure when it was implemented.

Anyway, I got 6.5 to work OK. Apparently I just had to wait until it was done scanning my library (which took several hours). It seems to be working OK now, although the browser interface is kind of messy with Safari, and I can't get it to load into IE on my Mac.

Thanks though.

Michaelwagner
2006-02-18, 14:00
I'm not sure what you mean by the volume bug fix, but if it's a bug fix, that is, a fix to function that already existed in 6.2.1, then it should be in 6.2.2. There is no reason (at least, shouldn't be, in an ideal world) to go to 6.5 for a bug fix.

Mike Anderson
2006-02-18, 15:25
The "volume bug" is discussed in a thread in the audiophile section. It wasn't obvious to me that it was addressed in the 6.2.1 or 6.2.2 releases. I think it was a fix that was implemented fairly recently.

Patrick Dixon
2006-02-18, 15:32
It was 'fixed' a while back and it's in the 6.2.2 nightlies. If you search the subversion archive you'll probably find exactly when.

Michaelwagner
2006-02-18, 19:34
You wrote:

I went to 6.5 because I want the volume bug fix, and I'm not sure when it was implemented.

There is usually no time difference between the two nightlies. 6.5 isn't fundamentally "more advanced" or "leading" in some way. Some fixes might make it into one or the other nightly a few days before the other, but in general ...

if it's a "fix" to existing function, it'll be in the "bugfix" nightly (and also in the developers nightly).

If it's new function, it'll be in the "developers" nightly only.

Since this was a fix for an existing problem, it should have been fixed in both nightlies at around the same time. You need only have gone to the 6.2.2 to get the fix.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that 6.5 is often a lot more trouble to go to (and fall back from) and people who can avoid it are well advised to do so.

Mike Anderson
2006-02-19, 00:43
OK, thanks. I've experimented with the nightlies before, so I know they can be problematic.

But the one I have now (2-18) actually seems to be working pretty well for now, so I'm not going to fool with it unless I actually run into problems.