PDA

View Full Version : support - how long does it typically take to respond?

Philip Meyer
2006-02-18, 03:30
I emailed support thursday evening, and then again friday morning (GMT) with more information, concerning a suspected faulty wireless card in a new SB3 purchase.

I haven't heard anything back yet - I thought support were pretty quick to respond usually.

The company I bought it from have said I can return it, but suggested that I wait until I hear from slim support in case the problem is easily fixable. I want to know whether I can take the back off the unit and check that the wifi card is seated correctly without losing my right to return the faulty unit if it doesn't work.

Phil

ceejay
2006-02-18, 05:00
I can't speak for Slim Devices, but if you look through the forums you'll find plenty of posts from Dean and others encouraging you to do just that, if you feel comfortable with it. They would rather you open it up and have a go at fixing it than have to deal with a return!

This was a problem with a batch of the early SB2s and Sean went so far as to post some photos of exactly how to do it...

Ceejay

Philip Meyer
2006-02-18, 05:32
I have noticed that when I view current settings (from the initial network connection menu when powering on the unit), my signal strength is ~70%.

When I connect to my slimserver and go to settings->player settings->signal strength, it reports the same value for a while, but then it drops suddenly and becomes a bit erratic. If I hold left-arrow down to go back to the initial setup menus, the signal strength reported there seems stable at ~70%.

What can I trust?

Phil

slimdemage
2006-02-18, 12:35
When I tried an SB3 I immediately emailed support a number of questions about wireless problems and gapless playback of my albums. They never answered any of the questions. A support person finally asked me if I would be willing to disassemble the unit. I emailed another series of specific technical questions, and no response. So I returned the unit to Slim Devices. My problems were just like all the other threads here that discuss these same wireless issues. I requested a full refund.

Do people usually pay $300 to bust out the screwdrivers and take apart their gadgets? I am almost shocked they asked me to disassemble the Squeezebox3. I would expect to be paid for that kind of work.

You may want to return that unit for a full refund, then try again by purchasing the unit directly from Slim Devices. Make sure to ask that your unit be tested thoroughly for wireless functionality before they ship it to you, or you may have a repeat dud.

Philip Meyer
2006-02-20, 16:09
I still haven't heard anything from support.

I have tried moving the unit closer to my wireless access point. I can see a stable 80% signal strength at the setup menus, but when I connect, I see the signal strength visibly drop 30% and then it seems to wonder up and down. I have taken stats from the Server and Network health, and can see that slimserver is reporting a possible wireless problem.

I had a carefull look inside the unit and everything seems to be in order - no visible sign of a loose card or aerial.

I've tried various firmware revisions, etc.

I have tried everything I reasonably can now, so will have to return the unit.

Phil

JJZolx
2006-02-20, 16:48
Do people usually pay $300 to bust out the screwdrivers and take apart their gadgets? I am almost shocked they asked me to disassemble the Squeezebox3. I would expect to be paid for that kind of work.
Small companies work differently than large ones. They made it an option for you if you were comfortable with it. Apparently you weren't and no doubt you expressed you shock and dismay at the very notion that you would touch a screw driver. Try the same thing with a trivial malfunction in a Sony or Panasonic product and even mention the notion of fixing it yourself and you'll give the tech at the other end of the conversation a coronary. Instead, you'll pack up the device, pay to ship it to a service facility and wait two or three months while they fix it.

I have to commend Slim Devices. You are _exactly_ the type of customer for whom the 30 day return policy was designed. I'm increasingly happy that you took advantage of it. But jeezus, how long do we have to keep hearing about it?

Siduhe
2006-02-20, 16:52
I still haven't heard anything from support.
Phil

I'm surprised - they've always been very responsive to me. How are you trying to contact them ? Email ? Make sure that any reply hasn't been caught by a spam filter - it seems to happen quite a lot.

I would pick up the phone during US office hours, if you want to give it one last try.

oreillymj
2006-02-21, 04:56
I believe yesterday was a holiday in the US.

The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), NASDAQ National Market, and American Stock Exchange (AMEX) will be closed Monday, Feb. 20, in observance of the U.S. Presidents' Day holiday. Please plan your stock transactions accordingly.

seanadams
2006-02-21, 07:19
Support is running about two business days of lag right now - since the NYT article we have a lot more customers calling for basic support and technical pre-sales questions. We are bringing on some new hires - should be on top of it by the end of this week.

If you're interested in applying for a tech support position please email jobs@slimdevices.com

geoffb
2006-02-21, 15:08
On 2/21/06, seanadams
<seanadams.23l2nz1140532208 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> If you're interested in applying for a tech support position please
> email jobs (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com

Isn't that another way of saying, "Patches welcome..."? :-)

seanadams
2006-02-21, 17:21
On 2/21/06, seanadams
<seanadams.23l2nz1140532208 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> If you're interested in applying for a tech support position please
> email jobs (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com

Isn't that another way of saying, "Patches welcome..."? :-)

No, for this we'd pay you. :)