PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeNetwork crash

Philip Meyer
2006-02-18, 03:24
I was connected to SqueezeNetwork, playing one of the natural sounds. I paused the playback.

A few seconds later my SB2 crashed (can't remember precisely whether it crashed whilst paused - I may have unpaused the playback and that caused it to crash).

I didn't think too much of it. However, following the restart, I couldn't reconnect to my normal wireless network.

The SB detected my SSID, and even reported a signal strength, but it refused to connect. I tried rebooting my router and restarting slimserver. I tried to restore my SB to factory defaults, and powered off the unit for good measure. Again, the SB could see the network, but upon entering my WPA2 passphrase, I got the countdown whilst it tried to connect to the network, which failed.

I noticed a very quiet ticking coming through my passive speakers (connected to the headphone jack) - I'd say about 2Hz.

I noticed that my router listed the players MAC address in the list of connected wireless clients.

In the end, I turned off wireless security, MAC address filtering, etc, and did another factory reset of the SB2. Eventually it reconnected. I tried returning to my usual WPA2-Mixed (TKIP+AES) security mode, and changed the SB2 to use WPA2 and it failed to connect again.

I now find that it works if I select WPA (not WPA-2) from the SB2, even though the wireless router is set to WPA2-Mixed. I'm sure this wasn't what I had set up before.

I had to actively change my security settings to reconnect - so what has SqueezeNetwork done to the firmware to cause this?

LinkSys WAG54GX2
WinXP Pro.
Firmware 33

Phil

ceejay
2006-02-18, 05:06
Check to see if the glitch has changed the MAC address of your box. This has been reported before. Ask the SB what it thinks its MAC address is (in settings/info somewhere) and compare with the label on the bottom.

You can overwrite the faulty one, if thats the problem - I think you just press right when looking at it. There are threads on this topic somewhere...

The ticking coming through the passive speakers sounds like a hardware issue that was reported in early SB2s - its something along the lines of interference from the wireless connection feeding back out the headphone socket. Again there is/was a fix for this, it involves adding a cap or two (but you may not want to do this yourself!).

Ceejay

Philip Meyer
2006-02-18, 05:28
>The ticking coming through the passive speakers sounds like a hardware
>issue that was reported in early SB2s - its something along the lines
>of interference from the wireless connection feeding back out the
>headphone socket. Again there is/was a fix for this, it involves adding
>a cap or two (but you may not want to do this yourself!).
>
I only notice it when trying to connect to slimserver, so it doesn't bother me.

When I had the sudden problem trying to connect after the crash, I thought maybe I had developed a hardware fault. However, everything seems to be back to normal now.