PDA

View Full Version : Tired of rebooting-get rescan library fixed

Silverbullet
2006-02-17, 16:13
rescan library
BAM
100% CPU every time

Hey open source community, can you fix it?

MrC
2006-02-17, 16:38
rescan library
BAM
100% CPU every time

And your system specs are... ?

radish
2006-02-17, 16:51
rescan library
BAM
100% CPU every time

What's the problem? You asked it to rescan, it's doing so as fast as it can. Would you like it to slow down for no reason?

100% CPU is good, it means things are happening as fast as they can.

Silverbullet
2006-02-17, 17:42
1. brand new Squeezebox3 6.2.1 v28
2. control panel set to>system>advanced>performance options>to background services(not applications)
3. 13,000 mp3's to scan in library
4. slim server open in Internet Explorer6 after clicking library rescan>never finishes rescan
5. after 8 hours still 100% CPU
6. cannot use computer for anything
7. try task manager>processes>slim.exe>100% CPU>end process>operation could not be completed>access denied
8. only alternitive hard reboot
10. after reboot Squeezebox connects to computer>all files in library appear to be there>play files near end of library(Z)>hangs every time>100% CPU
11. windows 2000 pro sp4>523,000 KB RAM
12. new linksys WRT54GX2 wireless router
13. connect to SlimNetwork Internet Radio works fine

Question? How long does it take to scan 13,000 mp3's?
Comment: 100% CPU not good for any reason.

What's the problem? You asked it to rescan, it's doing so as fast as it can. Would you like it to slow down for no reason?

100% CPU is good, it means things are happening as fast as they can.

kdf
2006-02-17, 17:57
Quoting Silverbullet <Silverbullet.23eg0c (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> 1. brand new Squeezebox3 6.2.1 v28
> 2. control panel set to>system>advanced>performance options>to
> background services(not applications)
> 3. 13,000 mp3's to scan in library
> 4. slim server open in Internet Explorer6 after clicking library
> rescan>never finishes rescan
> 5. after 8 hours still 100% CPU

check for shortcuts that loop back into the music folder path. That
will cause a long running, high cpu loop. You can also try the 6.2.2
nightly builds, which have a fix to avoid this problem.

-kdf

sayonaraML
2006-02-17, 18:01
One of the things I've noticed here is that any new person that shows any frustration at all with the SB gets a certain amount of attitude or what seems like attitude from the senior members here. I myself have had my box for about a weeek and the learning curve on this mother is surprisingly steep and the support is somewhat of a mystery (try the email route and you tell me if you get a response within a day). The forums tend to be the place I would go for help but you folks have all been around for awhile and have probably broke and fixed everything possible so this is no big deal to you. To me it's huge just not having to rely on an overburdened customer service department.
As to the curve, I finally got myself on the right track and have been blissfuly listening to music until BAM! the thing stops and when I look at the Squeeze it says 'rescanning library'. Why? I didn't ask it to?

Siduhe
2006-02-17, 18:07
1. brand new Squeezebox3 6.2.1 v28
2. control panel set to>system>advanced>performance options>to background services(not applications)
3. 13,000 mp3's to scan in library
4. slim server open in Internet Explorer6 after clicking library rescan>never finishes rescan
5. after 8 hours still 100% CPU
6. cannot use computer for anything
7. try task manager>processes>slim.exe>100% CPU>end process>operation could not be completed>access denied
8. only alternitive hard reboot
10. after reboot Squeezebox connects to computer>all files in library appear to be there>play files near end of library(Z)>hangs every time>100% CPU
11. windows 2000 pro sp4>523,000 KB RAM
12. new linksys WRT54GX2 wireless router
13. connect to SlimNetwork Internet Radio works fine

Definitely shouldn't take that long. I clear about 8,000 files (mix of FLAC, OGG and MP3) in less than 45 mins.

It could be as simple as a bad file or two, perhaps one with non-english tagging that Slimserver doesn't like. That could explain why it's crashing on the Zs. Or a circular file reference if you have linked music libraries. To rule that out, have you tried going to debugging in the web interface, selecting d_scan and starting a scan ? If the scan falls over on a particular file it will show up on the log, try removing it and rescanning with d_scan on again.

If not, others may have other more technical suggestions, but good idea to rule it out all the same.

jonheal
2006-02-17, 18:12
One of the things I've noticed here is that any new person that shows any frustration at all with the SB gets a certain amount of attitude or what seems like attitude from the senior members here. I myself have had my box for about a weeek and the learning curve on this mother is surprisingly steep and the support is somewhat of a mystery (try the email route and you tell me if you get a response within a day). The forums tend to be the place I would go for help but you folks have all been around for awhile and have probably broke and fixed everything possible so this is no big deal to you. To me it's huge just not having to rely on an overburdened customer service department.
As to the curve, I finally got myself on the right track and have been blissfuly listening to music until BAM! the thing stops and when I look at the Squeeze it says 'rescanning library'. Why? I didn't ask it to?
First, you're right. There's no need to be short with folks.

But perhaps you overestimate the status of "Senior Members." All one needs to do to join that exclusive club is create at least 100 inane posts, such as those I've submitted!

kdf
2006-02-17, 18:16
One of the things I've noticed here is that any new person that shows any frustration at all with the SB gets a certain amount of attitude or what seems like attitude from the senior members here.

..much of which would be avoided if users would read the sticky posts before jumping ito an agressive post, lacking in any useful details and demanding a fix. That lack of effort belittles the efforts of those "senior" members (senior means more than a dozen or so posts, it seems, with this forum) who spend their free time trying to help. They do not deserve to have to continually talk people down from their high blood pressure who simply ignored information that is already there, asked and answerd several times a day. Nor do they need to suffer a thread hijack whinging about their response. If you aren't involved in the question, or the answer, you are not really helping. Sorry to have attitude, but tough. Please step aside and let the diagnosis take place.

-kdf

MrC
2006-02-17, 18:24
One of the things I've noticed here is that any new person that shows any frustration at all with the SB gets a certain amount of attitude or what seems like attitude from the senior members here.

That's not necessarily the case. Frustration isn't an issue - its the lazy posting, not really asking for help, or not providing nearly enough information to allow forum members to give any useful assistance. Comments like "Hey open source community, can you fix it?" are not what anyone would call inviting or conducive to assistance.

The forums tend to be the place I would go for help but you folks have all been around for awhile and have probably broke and fixed everything possible so this is no big deal to you. To me it's huge just not having to rely on an overburdened customer service department.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to communicate here. Forum members do care about helping out users that have trouble... that's why they do it.

Noone here can read minds, nor foresee each user's circumstances. User's have to comminicate clearly about them, which although difficult, it is required. "BAM! the thing stops" as the primary diagnostic does not help much. Diagnosing problems is difficult, time consuming, frustrating, error-prone and expensive to be sure, but its a necessary evil in this complex hi-tech world.

MrC
2006-02-17, 18:35
Comment: 100% CPU not good for any reason.

It entirely depends on your rig. A very slow system with little RAM, a fragmented disk, and other troubles will take a very long time. My system finishes in about 10 minutes. Clearly 8 hours is too long and this indicates a problem somewhere. This typically happens with problematic shortcuts, cuelists, or playlists, as KDF indicated.

100% CPU usage *is* perfectly acceptable - any idle cycles on a system are useless to you, and you didn't pay for that when you purchased your system. That's the point Radish was making. Constant, unexpected 100% usage indicates some possible trouble, and that's where a good diagnosis is required.

sayonaraML
2006-02-17, 18:40
I hear what you're saying about providing enough detail for folks to be able to understand enough about what's going on to offer suggestions but for my BAM!, there wasn't a whole lot more to offer. I was playing music on my SB3 when the music stopped and I got the 'rescanning' message. I'd like to offer more detail but that was all that I had. It's also hard at times to offer detail because stuff often happens in a way that precludes a very accurate diagnostic email. Lastly isn't there an understanding that people who are posting to a forum called 'beginners' might have an element of cluelessness?
Again I saay all of this with a whole lot of appreciation for the people who come here and post and especially the seniors because a lot of posts if nothing else means a lot of participation.
I bought the box (and sorry if I'm repeating myself) because it looked like a pretty basic albeit poweerful proces but keep getting tossed for loops in unexpected ways. If I'm out of line here, shoot me a PM and I'll shut up and go away.

MrC
2006-02-17, 19:46
Perhaps someone can help you diagnose the box online, if you are willing to allow a remote login to see what's up. This is often much faster than trying to workout details back and forth through the forums.

The rescan plugin is set to rescan each evening, i think by default, so the time when you experienced the problems could be helpful. The version of your Slimserver is also always useful.

I've personally never seen a "rescanning" message on my SB2/3.

radish
2006-02-17, 19:49
I apologise if I cam across as short, that wasn't the intention. I simply saw an extremely sarcastic, abrasive first post which seemed to be complaining about something that was working as it should be. The original post didn't mention that it took 8 hours, it simply said that the cpu went to 100%. I was, in my own special way, asking for clarification of what the perceived problem was.

For the record, 8 hours scanning is obviously a problem, I can scan considerably more tracks in a few minutes, and mine is not a particularly fast server. Had that been mentioned in the original post I would have understood the issue. As has been suggested already, a loop is a possibility, as is a very slow disk (although it would have to be exceptionally slow). Also look for things like itunes integration.

Secondly, I stand by what I said - 100% cpu is good (provided of course you're making useful progress). There's a very common misconception that having a maxed out cpu is an indication of something being wrong, and I will always correct it where I see it.

Michaelwagner
2006-02-17, 23:19
I have 8500 mp3s and a rescan on a similar machine is about half an hour.

So 1 hour should do it.

Your 100% CPU loop sounds like a bad pointer, bad shortcut, bad cue sheet, something that's making the slimserver go back and rescan stuff it's already covered.

Look for shortcuts in subdirectories that incorrectly point back to a higher directory.

Or a cue sheet that got moved from the directory where it should be.

Or a playlist that got moved from it's original location. Or that points to a directory that got moved.

Those things will confuse the slimserver scanner.

6.2.2 contains some self-defence code for some of those situations, but it's still not paranoid enough for all the possibilities.

Michaelwagner
2006-02-17, 23:37
"Senior Members" are just users like me with big mouths who spent some time reading a lot and now write a lot. "-)

There are tremendous resources available to everyone here. There's the wiki:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com
There's the search function in this forum:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/search.php

After you've searched through those, and can't find an answer, we're always glad to help out. But then, some basic information can really cut down on the number of interactions needed to resolve the problem.

I think "senior members" get testy when the expectation is that we will solve problems without sufficient hard data. Because that's really hard to do.