PDA

View Full Version : Quick Music Stutters...What's causing it?

BigSey
2006-02-17, 13:01
I've had an SB2 now for about 6 months and have had a minor music stuttering problem for a while. It typically happens once per song (can be more or less) and sounds like a quick CD skip. It's not the worst thing in the world but I'd love to fix it.

My wireless strenth is typically at 60-70% and I use an Actiontec Wireless Gateway that also functions as my DSL modem (came with my Qwest service). My computer is a DELL desktop that's about 3 years old but I don't have model numbers or memory handy here at work.

If anyone has any ideas or potential solutions, they will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nicktf
2006-02-17, 14:29
I had a similar thing, so...

First, enable the buffer to be shown on the "now playing" screen - in SlimServer, choose player settings, "Now playing Information" and "Include buffer fullness in Playing Display Mode".

Next play a song, press "now playing" on the remote and keep pressing it until you get a % in the right corner - this is the amount of data your Squeezebox has cached - do the skips co-incide with this being 0%?

If so, then it may be an intermittent wireless issue, or a process on your PC - I had a similar problem which I tracked down to some hardware monitoring software which was causing a processor spike every 60 seconds.

Cheers

Nick

BigSey
2006-02-17, 15:17
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll try this solution out tonight and let you know what happens.

BigSey
2006-02-21, 12:55
Hate to bump this thread up again myself but i tried Nick's solution to no avail. There seems to be no connection between buffering at 0% and the stutters. Is anyone else having this issue and what have you done to fix it? Could it be something with my computer or is it more likely the wireless connection?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-22, 09:13
Check processor usage. In Windows XP you can graph processor and memory usage using the infamous CTRL + ALT + DEL Task Manager and the "Performance" tab.

There are other freeware utilities which do a much better job if the graphing isn't long enough for you. To identify which process is consuming the processor cycles, look at the "Processes" tab. The CPU column indicates what percentage of the processor is devoted to a particular task. Note that it's normal for "System Idle Process" to be consuming >90%, this is where the process Task Manager allocates idle cycles. So if it's at 99%, only 1% of the CPU is being used for all other processes.

Slim.exe and SlimTray.exe will ordinarily not consume much processor, although both consume a fair amount of memory (SlimTray.exe ~5-7 MB and Slim.exe 50-60 MB). If SlimServer is actively streaming it may be working a bit harder and if you have file transcoding running you may see lame.exe or flac.exe consuming a few cycles as well.

radish
2006-02-22, 09:21
I've had an SB2 now for about 6 months and have had a minor music stuttering problem for a while. It typically happens once per song (can be more or less) and sounds like a quick CD skip. It's not the worst thing in the world but I'd love to fix it.

I'm assuming you've verified that the files themselves are OK?