PDA

View Full Version : slow interface response - HUGE libary

moonsammy
2006-02-17, 12:12
my library contains 5704 albums with 26028 songs by 4549 artists is ~120 gigs in size and Slim server 6.2.1 is very slow.

i have a Dual 3gig Xeon box, 2gigs of memory and an old school slimp3 with the latest FW running at 128Kbs. i am on an Ethernet network and the cables are fine.

my system's processor load is never an issue and slimserver is using about 97 megs of memory out of 2gig available and the total system memory usage is about 500 to 700 megs.

problem is the Slim server web interface is so slow sometimes. nothing is scanning, just poky and unresponsive. so is the slimp3.

what are the suggested performance settings for a large library like mine?

i have it set to:
Artwork - off
Build Items Per Pass - 25
Prefs write interval - 0
Keep Unswapped interval - 30
Database Temporary File Tuning (SQLite)- Use RAM
Database Cache Size Tuning (SQLite) - 30,000

and TCP set to:
Maximum number of TCP sockets to read per pass: 20
Maximum number of TCP sockets to write per pass: 20
Maximum number of bytes of audio data to send to player in a UDP packet (SLIMP3 only): 350

thanks,

moonsammy

Ben Sandee
2006-02-17, 14:46
On 2/17/06, moonsammy <moonsammy.23e1fb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> my library contains 5704 albums with 26028 songs by 4549 artists is ~120
> gigs in size and Slim server 6.2.1 is very slow.

You should probably consider switching over the MySQL for your database
needs.

Michaelwagner
2006-02-17, 16:34
Also consider going to the 6.2.2 beta version. They put some code in there to counter one of the big performance issues of the web interface, that is, re-counting the number of items in a large library every time you display a web page.

That line that says "Your library contains 32,000 songs by 3,200 artists" etc.

It was recalculating those totals every time.

Now it doesn't.

For some people, especially with large libraries, that's a big help.

The other thing you should know is that, at the moment, Slimserver can't make use of your dual processors. Maybe in 7, but not planned for 6.anything. So maybe the operating system will use the second processor, maybe not, but Slim won't use both at the same time.

Mr_Smiley
2006-02-17, 21:49
I had the same issue with a similar library and a much lower spec machine. 6.2.2 solved it with only some minor performance lags. I also reduced library rescan to 0 (turned off) and just manually rescan when I need to, as the rescan causes some performance lag.

Michaelwagner
2006-02-18, 06:41
Reviewing over this thread, my suggestion is:
I would go to 6.2.2 (it's a relatively simple thing) before going to mySQL (which is more work).

Do you know how to do this?

moonsammy
2006-02-18, 10:32
Thanks everyone - i will try 6.2.2 now...

any comments on the settings?

moonsammy

Michaelwagner
2006-02-18, 13:57
any comments on the settings?

i have it set to:
Artwork - off
Build Items Per Pass - 25
Prefs write interval - 0
Keep Unswapped interval - 30
Database Temporary File Tuning (SQLite)- Use RAM
Database Cache Size Tuning (SQLite) - 30,000

Build Items Per Pass should probably be lower. I think the original default was 5.
Prefs write interval 0 is going to slow you down a bit when you change the preferences. But it's no big deal. It's not what's slowing you down.

The 30,000 will be fine provided you have enough RAM. Your system monitor should tell you that.

I don't know about the other (TCP) settings.