PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox crashing on power up, won't connect to server

netim3
2006-02-17, 10:49
My SB2 and SB3 both exhibiting the same problem in my new network environment.

I try to connect them and they fail to find the server. Subsequently, whenever I power down and then back up, the SB's don't start up properly - the scrolling "Squeezebox" startup screen stops half way & disappears. The only way to get it past this problem is to hold down a button on the remote when I plug in the power cable, but then the SB3 simply jumps to the "Set Up Networking" menu item, but does not respond to the remote control. Even if I disconnect the SB from the network, and after a lengthy power down, I still get this problem at startup.

About my setup:

SlimServer running on a MiniMac.
Using a 3com switch connected to a Linksys router handling DHCP.
The switch plugs into a patch panel which feeds CAT5 around the house.
The SB3 is in the kitchen, connected to the other end of the patch panel port, about 15 metres of cable away from the patch panel.

I know the connection from end to end is good, as I can plug a pc in and connect back via the switch to the router.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose/fix?

many thanks,

Natan

Ben Sandee
2006-02-17, 11:21
>
> I know the connection from end to end is good, as I can plug a pc in
> and connect back via the switch to the router.
>
> Any thoughts on how to diagnose/fix?
>

Does your PC use 100mbit or 10mbit? It could be that your cabling somewhere
is marginal.... Another suggestion is to make sure your switch and/or router
are at their latest firmware.

Ben

netim3
2006-02-18, 01:22
Thanks Ben - your comment did lead me to a new discovery...

According to the SlimServer web gui, the IP address of my player is actually the same as that of my switch - which I'm sure would cause all sorts of strange behaviour. What I can't figure out is :

1. How it picked up this address which is outside my DHCP range
2. Why the player seems to hang onto this IP address, even if I plug it directly into my router, and it's not connected to the switch at all.

Another odity - the player isn't completely dead to the remote control - it responds to any button press by changin gthe display (graphic equalizer, time remaining etc.) - but none of the buttons do what they're supposed to.

any inspiration?

thanks,

Natan

Cleve
2006-02-19, 07:33
Thanks Ben - your comment did lead me to a new discovery...

According to the SlimServer web gui, the IP address of my player is actually the same as that of my switch - which I'm sure would cause all sorts of strange behaviour. What I can't figure out is

On the main settings screen, you can select/deselect automatic IP assignment. I think you should manually enable an IP on your router/switch (via the router/switch GUI) and then manually set the SB3's ip to that value. See if that helps.