PDA

View Full Version : Audio dropouts - constant 0% buffer

hbcranky
2006-02-17, 10:00
I'm trying to play FLACs but they keep stuttering (also effects mp3s). The buffer percentage rate rarely goes above 5% and is usually at 0. I have tried with slimserver on a pc (xp) and also on a nslu2 but the results are the same. The squeezebox (3) is next to a wireless extender and it shows a signal strength of 90 ~ 98%. Its current firmware is 28, I have tried to upgrade it but to no effect. There are no 3rd party plug-ins installed.
Can anyone give me some advice as to how to proceed?

bibendum
2006-02-17, 10:22
I'm trying to play FLACs but they keep stuttering (also effects mp3s). The buffer percentage rate rarely goes above 5% and is usually at 0. I have tried with slimserver on a pc (xp) and also on a nslu2 but the results are the same. The squeezebox (3) is next to a wireless extender and it shows a signal strength of 90 ~ 98%. Its current firmware is 28, I have tried to upgrade it but to no effect. There are no 3rd party plug-ins installed.
Can anyone give me some advice as to how to proceed?

I'm new to the SB3 and after struggling for hours I managed to get everything working via Netgear DG834 router and Netgear WPN802 WAP. Then I tried to play some of the FLAC's I had labouriously ripped from CD in anticipation of getting the SB. I am also getting the stuttering.

The wireless signal strength is 90-95%, firmware 28 on SB, server: SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Via ethernet cable, streaming is perfect.

verbatone
2006-02-17, 12:51
I don't know if this will help, but I was having very similar problems, albeit mp3 files always played well on my system. Fellow beginners thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21102

hbcranky
2006-02-18, 09:39
I've had a look through several posts but must have missed that one.
I havent got the option on my router (WAG54G) to change anything other than MTU - or if I have then I cant find it. I lowered this down to 800 and it seemed to make a difference then after a couple of songs the buffer went back to 0% and they started stuttering again.
I have also tried downloading the nightly of Slimserver - this upgraded my sb3 to 33 but didnt improve matters. In fact the SB3 refused to connect to it after about an hour and I have now gone back to 6.2.1

emm
2006-02-18, 12:24
I just posted this same reply to the dropout link posted above in this thread because it helped me. Wanted to post here too for all. I don't pretend to understand all the configuration suggestions in this thread, but I just solved my system problem of dropouts and stuttering audio: I changed the Ad Hoc Channel in my network card's configuration settings to the same channel my wireless router was set to (Channel 1). This fixed the problem instantly. My network card was set to Channel 11 before I changed it to 1.

Linksys wireless router WRT54GX2
Intel Pro 2200G network card
SB3

Maybe this will help someone.
emm

hbcranky
2006-02-18, 13:12
I'd changed the channel from the default as my neighbours all have wireless. Theres also the problem of cordless phones, microwaves and washing machines. Its just annoying cos I picked sb over roku as it got better reviews but roku can use twonky which doesnt seem to have any of these problems and can even stream video without drop outs!

emm
2006-02-18, 22:33
Aligning the channel on my network card and my wireless router may have helped, but it turns out the real problem, despite my earlier message, was that I had unplugged the ethernet connection between my router and my laptop. I can unplug and access the wireless router from my laptop anywhere in my house (to access the web, for example), but that's when dropouts start happening on SB3. Once I connect the ethernet cord back into my laptop (from my "wireless" router), SB3 plays perfectly. I'm sure there's a solution to allow me to use my laptop wirelessly AND play SB3, but I don't know what it is. Is the problem that when I go wireless with my laptop, I'm accessing the wireless router with 2 devices (laptop and SB3)? How to do this - Anybody?

emm

hbcranky
2006-02-19, 08:05
I've changed the extender to g only rather than mixed (b+g). This appears to be working at the moment.

UPDATE

Nope - stopped working again, now a tribute to Norman Collier

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-20, 12:29
Is the problem that when I go wireless with my laptop, I'm accessing the wireless router with 2 devices (laptop and SB3)? How to do this - Anybody?

Not necessarily, the problem is that each packet now has to be transmitted twice: laptop -> router, router -> SB. This really constrains your bandwidth. Hardwiring your server is highly recommended.

You can work around it by bitrate limiting, but this defeats the purpose of high-bitrate lossless formats.

To determine approximately where you should set the bitrate, try the NetTest plugin:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginDiagnostics

Set it one level below where it reports 100%, i.e. if it's 500 kbps, 320 kbps is fine, if it's 256 kbps, 128 kbps should be OK.