PDA

View Full Version : router or switch?

johnvb
2006-02-17, 05:41
Hey Guys. Received my SB3 yesterday (wired version), got everything working, so no problem there.

I have a question about optimum set up. What I have are 4 PCs on a wired network via a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. (4 port)

Two of these are at the cable modem/ router location; both using the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse via a Belkins KVM switch. One of them will be a dedicated music server with the slimserver program. I will run Cat5e from there to an A/V equipment closet where the SB will go to a digital EQ/DAC setup.

In order to add the SB3 to the network, I had to temporarily steal my son's Linksys workgroup switch off his X-box Live he uses to connect to his PC/ the network.

So the question is, for best performance, should I:

1. Buy a new router that has more ports?

2. Buy another WG switch and connect both music PC and SB to it, then to existing router?

3. Buy another WG switch and use it to tie in any other two PCs, so that the music PC and SB can go directly into existing router?

4. Any other better options? (Do want to stay wired to all, even though router also supports wireless)

Thanks for the help
John

mherger
2006-02-17, 05:57
> 2. Buy another WG switch and connect both music PC and SB to it, then
> to existing router?

Go for a switch - they are cheap and pretty painless to set up.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

MrC
2006-02-17, 11:54
Hey Guys. Received my SB3 yesterday (wired version), got everything working, so no problem there.

I have a question about optimum set up. What I have are 4 PCs on a wired network via a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. (4 port)

Two of these are at the cable modem/ router location; both using the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse via a Belkins KVM switch. One of them will be a dedicated music server with the slimserver program. I will run Cat5e from there to an A/V equipment closet where the SB will go to a digital EQ/DAC setup.

In order to add the SB3 to the network, I had to temporarily steal my son's Linksys workgroup switch off his X-box Live he uses to connect to his PC/ the network.

So the question is, for best performance, should I:

1. Buy a new router that has more ports?

2. Buy another WG switch and connect both music PC and SB to it, then to existing router?

3. Buy another WG switch and use it to tie in any other two PCs, so that the music PC and SB can go directly into existing router?

4. Any other better options? (Do want to stay wired to all, even though router also supports wireless)

Thanks for the help
John

As M. Herger suggested, the switch is the way to go. Explaining why a bit, a router's job is to move packets from one network to another. You don't have several networks - just one. Many of today's so-called "routers" are really multi-function appliances, with built in switches, routers, NAT/PAT, firewalls, access points, etc. Routers work at the IP level (eg. using IP addresses to make decisions).

A switch works at the Ethernet address (aka. MAC address) level, switching packets to the appropriate switchport, minimizing collisions on the entire network.

All you need is a switch, as your traffic level is minimal (by ethernet standards), and as MH sugggested, they are very inexpensive. Get one that has auto-MDX, so that you don't have to worry about crossover cables uplink/downlink concerns.

johnvb
2006-02-17, 15:09
Thanks Guys!

I don't know about the "auto-MDX" stuff, but I picked up the identical switcher that I had borrowed, seems to work ok:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416836711&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper