PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to Slimserver

djtex
2006-02-16, 11:49
I have posted this issue before, but the post has disappeared now, I havn't used my SB3 for a few weeks as I had to build a new PC due to motherboard failure.

Anyway, I am using an SB3 over a wired network and am getting the message below appearing in the performance monitoring section.

"There is no currently active control connection to this player. Please check the player is powered on. If the player is unable to establish a connection, please check your network and and/or server firewall do not block connections to TCP & UDP port 3483.

There is currently no active connection for streaming to this player. A connection is required whenever you play a file from the server (but not when you play remote radio streams on a Squeezebox2 player).

If you are attempting to play a local file on this player, then this indicates a network problem. Please check that your network and/or server firewall do not block connections to TCP port 9000."

The player itself keeps showing "Problem: Cannot connet to slimserver", then when a track finishes nothing happens. Eventually it starts to play again, but that can be anywhere between 2 seconds and 5 minutes. I have opened both the ports it mentions above on my firewall.

This is driving me mad as it's spoiling my enjoyment of what seems a fab product. Any help or advide would be hugely appreciated. By the way I am using a Homeplug network which uses the House's electrical ring main to carry the signal. This is a high speed version and is rated at 85MB.

Cheers

djtex
2006-02-16, 11:51
Oh yes I forgot to add, what is this MYSQL thing I keep reading about? Might that help improve matters?

Bit of a novice, sorry.

:)

MrC
2006-02-16, 12:57
I have posted this issue before, but the post has disappeared now, I havn't used my SB3 for a few weeks as I had to build a new PC due to motherboard failure.

Anyway, I am using an SB3 over a wired network and am getting the message below appearing in the performance monitoring section.

"There is no currently active control connection to this player. Please check the player is powered on. If the player is unable to establish a connection, please check your network and and/or server firewall do not block connections to TCP & UDP port 3483.

There is currently no active connection for streaming to this player. A connection is required whenever you play a file from the server (but not when you play remote radio streams on a Squeezebox2 player).

If you are attempting to play a local file on this player, then this indicates a network problem. Please check that your network and/or server firewall do not block connections to TCP port 9000."

The player itself keeps showing "Problem: Cannot connet to slimserver", then when a track finishes nothing happens. Eventually it starts to play again, but that can be anywhere between 2 seconds and 5 minutes. I have opened both the ports it mentions above on my firewall.

This is driving me mad as it's spoiling my enjoyment of what seems a fab product. Any help or advide would be hugely appreciated. By the way I am using a Homeplug network which uses the House's electrical ring main to carry the signal. This is a high speed version and is rated at 85MB.

Cheers

Contacting Slim's tech support might be the quickest resolution for you.

djtex
2006-02-16, 16:41
I havn't contacted tech support as yet, will probably do that however, here is some further info....

The SB3 will say "Problem: Cannot connect to Slimserver" even when music is playing which strikes me as odd. On top of that, when I turn the box off, roughly every three minutes the date and time appear for about 1 second and then I get the same message again. I have as a test, used a normal piece of ethernet cable rather than my Homeplug system to see what happens then, and on a short test of about 30 minutes I experienced no problems at all. Maybe I have found the culprit, it would seem the wiring in my rather old house could do with updating. I'll do a longer test tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thanks to anyone, who has taken the time to read my tale of woe.

djtex
2006-02-17, 10:41
I have fixed this now, as my cable modem and the squuezebox are in the same room. I have just swapped the connections round, so instead of my internet connection going via a cable upstairs to my computer room, it now goes via the Homeplugs and the Squeezebox uses the orginal cable.

Has been worjing fine for three hours now, anyone any ideas why this might have happened? As my Internet connection works fine via the Homeplugs. Strange!