PDA

View Full Version : New SB3 - Wireless Performance

Philip Meyer
2006-02-15, 16:42
Hi,

I just bought a SB3 as a replacement for my SBG in the bedroom. I'm a bit concerned about the wireless signal strength though - I left the SB3 on the Information -> wireless signal strength screen whilst I moved it around the table to find the sweetest reception point, which seemed to give me a consistent 49-53%.

However, a minute later the signal strength dropped to 2-16%. This lasted for a minute or so, then returned back to 50%. A few minutes later it dropped back down. This cycle seems to repeat.

I haven't changed anything in my setup, except I changed from WEP to use WPA-Personal security, as all of my units now support this better security mode. I tried a few different channels, but the effect was the same.

Could WPA explain the fluctuations, or could it be a problem with firmware v33 (I'm using the 6.2.2. release), or perhaps a problem with the wireless card in the SB3?

Phil

ianjohnson_nz
2006-02-15, 17:35
Hi,

However, a minute later the signal strength dropped to 2-16%. This lasted for a minute or so, then returned back to 50%. A few minutes later it dropped back down. This cycle seems to repeat.
Phil
I can't be sure, but I think I read on the forums once that the SB signal strength is not especially reliable. i.e. fluctuations aren't too bad.

Litmus test - play some high rate music like a FLAC file for a while. If the sound drops out, problem. If it doesn't, none.

Philip Meyer
2006-02-16, 02:23
>I can't be sure, but I think I read on the forums once that the SB
>signal strength is not especially reliable. i.e. fluctuations aren't
>too bad.
>
>Litmus test - play some high rate music like a FLAC file for a while.
>If the sound drops out, problem. If it doesn't, none.
>
This morning, my alarm fired, which started to play a FLAC album. The first song played without a hiccup until there were 16 seconds remaining, then the song just stopped. "Now Playing" remained on the screen (ie. I didn't notice any report of a temporary loss of communication). It said it was still playing, but the song didn't progress. Pause/Unpause didn't resume. Pressing play then restarted the track and it played fine.

This has happened several times this morning, always seemingly stopping near or at the end of a track. Also happened with mp3 files.

I don't know if this ties in with fluctuations in the signal strength, but I think it's unlikely. It's more likely to be an unrelated problem - I have seen this happen a few times in the past, when I thought it was something to do with the Alarm invoking the music. However, it hasn't happened in ages, until today.

Interestingly, I turned off "Smart Gain", and have now played four songs in a row without it stopping (all from same album). However, I then switched "Smart Gain" back on, and havn't had the problem occur again yet (played 3 tracks so far).

Phil

slimdemage
2006-02-16, 09:01
I ordered a new SB3 and I remember the exact symptom you are describing. The signal strength would drop then come back. Although it once played almost 9 songs in a row, it usually would fail within 1 song. When I returned the unit the technical support staff at Slim Devices said my SB3's wireless card was "bad".

nicketynick
2006-02-16, 10:50
I'm pretty sure this has been reported with v33 of the firmware-check the beta forums or bugzilla.

Philip Meyer
2006-02-16, 13:34
>I ordered a new SB3 and I remember the exact symptom you are describing.
>The signal strength would drop then come back. Although it once played
>almost 9 songs in a row, it usually would fail within 1 song. When I
>returned the unit the technical support staff at Slim Devices said my
>SB3's wireless card was "bad".
>
This evening, I downgraded back to SVN5886 (to get Firmware 28 back). I went to my SB3 and performed the firmware update. I then looked at the signal strength, which started at 60%, but a few seconds later it dropped to 12% and then eventually sat at 0%.

I moved the SB3 into the lounge, where my existing SB2 is located, and compared the signal strengths (powering up only one box on at a time). My SB2 signal strength is a constant 80%. My SB3 signal strength initially started at 60%, but then dropped to 45% and then fluctuated between 25% and 45%.

Doesn't look good :(

Is there any chance it could just be a loose wifi card or aerial inside, or is it likely to be a faulty card that needs replacing?

Phil