PDA

View Full Version : Will Squeezebox display last almost forever?

NJRonbo
2006-02-15, 16:40
I have some concerns about my Squeezebox display.

I mean, this thing is displaying information all the
time -- whether powered ON or with the Screensaver in
the OFF mode.

With a display always being on 24/7 isn't there a huge
chance that there will be display burnout of some kind
within a few years use?

Anyone have any complications thus far?

Thanks -- love this forum and my Squeezebox!

radish
2006-02-15, 16:48
This has been answered before in more detail (you might want to search) but the slimp3 was released in 2001 and they're still going strong. I wouldn't worry....

ianjohnson_nz
2006-02-15, 17:32
I have some concerns about my Squeezebox display.

I mean, this thing is displaying information all the
time -- whether powered ON or with the Screensaver in
the OFF mode.
Then switch off your screensaver. Go into SlimServer, Player settings, and set the display to 0 (off) when the screensaver is active.

Edit: oops, stuffed up the quotes. Corrected now.

tyler_durden
2006-02-16, 18:31
The SB3 uses a vacuum fluorescent display- the same thing that is used for clock and counter display in most VCRs. I have old VCRs where the display has faded to barely visible. I would expect the same thing to happen to the SB3 display over time. By that time you will buy an SB9 with HD video streaming so I wouldn't worry about it.

TD

funkstar
2006-02-17, 05:21
The SB3 uses a vacuum fluorescent display- the same thing that is used for clock and counter display in most VCRs. I have old VCRs where the display has faded to barely visible. I would expect the same thing to happen to the SB3 display over time. By that time you will buy an SB9 with HD video streaming so I wouldn't worry about it.

TD
The old VCRs are obviously also using old designs of screens, so who knows, the modern graphical one in the SB2/3 may last a lot longer, just like motern TVs and plasmas are less prone to burn in etc. So it might be the SB20 with holographic projection you replace it with ;)

tyler_durden
2006-02-17, 07:09
The old VCRs are obviously also using old designs of screens, so who knows, the modern graphical one in the SB2/3 may last a lot longer, just like motern TVs and plasmas are less prone to burn in etc. So it might be the SB20 with holographic projection you replace it with ;)

I don't think it is "obvious" at all.

"Might" is the key word here. I could not find any data sheets or lifetime specs on Noritake's web site, so I would not be willing to assume any longer life.

Electron emission from a heated filament doesn't go on forever. But it probably goes on long enough...

TD