PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 'chokes' on long tracks

Skwark
2006-02-15, 10:18
Hi (again)

Just been listening to a couple of Podcasts and discovered that the Squeezebox will 'choke' during playback of an mp3 for a certian amount of time (approx 20 mins).

The PC/Server is happy, not a net connection issue as it's a local file.

To expand on what I mean by 'choke'.... the playback will stop/stutter and you get very short bursts of sound (every 2-3 seconds). The interface also becomes unresponsive, animations stutter, and it processes key/IR commands several seconds after pressing. Turning the device on/off, pausing the track, etc. does not seem to resolve the issue. If left for a few minutes paused, it sometimes resumes as normal.

Firmware Version: 28
SlimServer Version: 6.2.1

radish
2006-02-15, 12:06
My guess is your server is either (a) doing something else (virus scan? defrag?) or (b) going to sleep during the playback.

Certainly I'm unaware of any specific issue with playing back long files, I listen to mp3 radio stations for hours at a time with no issues.

Skwark
2006-02-15, 15:46
Would a busy server slow down the Squeezebox interface though? Surely if it drops an internet connection the box isn't going to freeze up? I would have thought it would be a bit more robust than this.

radish
2006-02-15, 16:57
Would a busy server slow down the Squeezebox interface though? Surely if it drops an internet connection the box isn't going to freeze up? I would have thought it would be a bit more robust than this.

Yes, if the server was _very_ busy you'd see the interface performance drop, as everything (including display painting) is handled by the server. I don't think the internet connection is relevant in your case, but if your server is pegged at 100% don't expect much joy from the SB.

abdomen
2006-02-16, 07:33
I have had a couple of long mp3 podcasts simply stop when they are well along, using non-daily SS 6.2.1. Unfortunately I will not have an opportunity to try to reproduce this for at least several days.