PDA

View Full Version : Buffering and live streams

Millwood
2006-02-14, 16:59
The comments in the server health page seem to imply that there is little or no buffering of live streams.

IMHO, this is a mistake if its true. It guarantees that small connection hiccups will be audible.

Of course, there is no way to "get ahead" with a live stream. If you buffer, you must delay the start.
But I suspect that an adjustable buffer delay would make live audio more robust for anyone without a perfect set up. I would guess that a few seconds would do it for most set ups.

Forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about - I'm just guessing about the current design.

Triode
2006-02-15, 11:41
There is definately buffering of live streams but in playback mode the buffer is not maintained in the full state as it is for playing of local files. The comments in the health page are really trying to say - if you see low buffer fill when playing remote streams this is not a problem.

If you want to suggest any alternative wording to mean this then I can consider it.

SoundBoy
2006-02-15, 11:52
Hi, as I learned the hardway my setup is far away from being "optimal" as I only have a AT&T DSL in a popular living area in New England. So in the morning my live streaming of Internet Radio is rendered useless. In the evening its almost fine. I would love to see any possible progress done on buffering or delayed streaming that might fix this. My SB3 is wired to the Internet Gateway.

Cheers

The comments in the server health page seem to imply that there is little or no buffering of live streams.

IMHO, this is a mistake if its true. It guarantees that small connection hiccups will be audible.

Of course, there is no way to "get ahead" with a live stream. If you buffer, you must delay the start.
But I suspect that an adjustable buffer delay would make live audio more robust for anyone without a perfect set up. I would guess that a few seconds would do it for most set ups.

Forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about - I'm just guessing about the current design.