PDA

View Full Version : Does it or does it NOT support Rhapsody

steverw
2006-02-14, 00:53
Hi,

I've spent the last hour trying to determine if there is a way for me to use the Rhapsody service via an SB3. I have yet to find any definitive thread.

Can someone please put me out of my misery and answer the simple question: yes it supports Rhapsody or NO it does not.

I'll still get one! But I don't want to waste my time or have inflated expectations. The SB3 will be plenty useful no matter what.

I'd really appreciate a straight answer on this...

Regards,
-steverw

abdomen
2006-02-14, 01:13
Hi,

I've spent the last hour trying to determine if there is a way for me to use the Rhapsody service via an SB3. I have yet to find any definitive thread.

Can someone please put me out of my misery and answer the simple question: yes it supports Rhapsody or NO it does not.

I'll still get one! But I don't want to waste my time or have inflated expectations. The SB3 will be plenty useful no matter what.

I'd really appreciate a straight answer on this...

Regards,
-steverw

It seems the answer is not right now (but maybe for some vlever folks) but perhaps someday.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=69045&postcount=7
"6.0+ no longer works with the Rhapsody Plugin. Yes, some users posting here have claimed some measure of success. 6.0+ is required for the SB2/SB3. SB2 and SB3 could certainly work with Rhapsody if the server or realSlim could be patched to work again. Unfortunately, I know of no current efforts in this regard..."

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SoftwareRoadmap
"More audio sources - Do what it takes - formats, DRM, integration with external audio providers - to make sure our users are not limited in their listening options. "

mattybain
2006-02-14, 01:16
No SlimServer does not currently support Rhapsody. Whether this is something the guys at SD are working on is something only they can answer.

steverw
2006-02-16, 23:57
I suppose this Pandora service might work instead of Rhapsody, but I hope it at least lets me select specific songs and artists.

abdomen
2006-02-17, 07:15
I suppose this Pandora service might work instead of Rhapsody, but I hope it at least lets me select specific songs and artists.
Pandora does not let you do that. I gather their radio station business model would not work if they did; additionally, that is not the thrust/purpose of their service. However, try it out in your browser-- it is terrific.

parkeb
2006-02-18, 14:03
I tried installing slimserver version 6.2.1 after uninstalling version 5.4.something on XP Pro SP2. I can't get it to work no matter what I do to re-install 6.2.1 and rebooting in between.

If I completely uninstall 6.2.1, reboot, and re-install, the installer itself hangs while starting slimsvc (the DOS window stays open). If I end that process, the installation proceeds to the Finish window. At that point, I've tried installing once more over the top of the last install, and I can get the installer to continue all the way through without a slimsvc hang.

None of that matters, though. Slimserver still hangs during startup. After screwing with this for an hour and a half, I'm done with it. In fact, I'm not writing this to get support through the problem. Frankly, since purchasing my slimdevice two years ago, the headaches have not been worth the rewards. Once it's up and running, it's great, but getting it up and running can be very frustrating. I bought this product to work with Rhapsody. After the ususal hair pulling session, I did have it working. Of course every time there was a version change, in Rhapsody or Slimserver, RealSlim would break and the headaches would start again. I gave up on RealSlim some time ago, and now I'm giving up SlimServer.

Here's the thing, I have the utmost respect and admiration for everyone putting time and effort into open source apps such as SlimServer. But there comes a point when the work has to include very thorough QA. I don't know for sure, but I fear this is an area that has not been adequately addressed in the software design of SlimServer. Unit testing isn't enough guys; neither is relying on Beta testers. Both are necessary, but there needs to be a fullblown QA effort to get this product ready for the real world. I fear in this case, installation tests were not thorough. I would love to SlimServer succeed and become the defacto standard in music library management and streaming. That won't happen until this thing is as easy as pie to install and use. As it is, it is an app for those who don't mind tinkering to get things working. I guess as I get older, I don't want to bother with that anymore. It's easier to plug a wifi connected laptop into my stereo and use MediaPlayer or Rhapsody.

Ok, I've ranted enough. No need to respond; I won't be back to read through the responses, though maybe I'll give a future version a try again. Best of luck with this product.