PDA

View Full Version : Fun Squeezebox Tricks I: Slimserver as Radio Tivo

ericj
2006-02-13, 15:41
I'm surprised that there is so little discussion/sharing about applying the capabilities of the Squeezebox. There are many neat applications, but mostly I learn about them by seeing someone struggle to get them to work. Let me start by sharing one, its not ingenious, but useful.

You can record your favorite radio show on your slimserver machine and then listen to it at your leasure. For those stations that don't have a audio on demand, you can make one.

My slimserver lives on an linux machine, so I use mplayer to record the stream (in this case real) to a wave file, and then use lame to transcode it to mp3. This is all set up in a batch file which is run by a cron script.

In windows, programs like total recorder can do the same. I store them in a subdirectory called Broadcasts, and keep 5 days of my favorite serious Jazz shows from WKCR, Columbia U.'s fine station. If there is interest I can post the details, but my purpose was to start a discussion of such fairly easy, but perhaps not so obvious Squeezebox Tricks...

MartinP
2006-02-13, 17:08
..and on the Mac, Audio Hijack can do the same.

shvejk
2006-02-14, 09:18
On 2/13/06, ericj <ericj.236whb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> If there is interest I can post the details, but my purpose was to
> start a discussion of such fairly easy, but perhaps not so obvious
> Squeezebox Tricks...

Yes, please post details of your Linux solution. It sounds like a great
feature.

Thanks,

Skunk
2006-02-14, 09:29
In windows, programs like total recorder can do the same. I store them in a subdirectory called Broadcasts,

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but wouldn't that be copy infringement?

ericj
2006-02-14, 10:05
IANAL (i am not a lawyer) but recording for personal use (think of this as off the air taping) is probably not a problem, and last I looked, while TIVO annoys networks, it is currently legal. I would be happy if someone who knew more offered an informed opinion.

Quibbles aside, I'll post details whenI return home this evening.

Heuer
2006-02-14, 10:12
In the UK we have Sky who actively promote their Sky+ box (basically a underwhelming version of TiVo), TiVo that has a loyal following and there are many podcasts and 'listen again' opportunities. The BBC is heavily promoting DAB radios, all of which include a record function. I use TiVo for recording radio from the Sky platform and I have a DAB PCI card in my PC which has programmed record functions.

Basically I do not expect anyone to worry about a few geeks and our Squeezeboxes!

Skunk
2006-02-14, 10:12
IANAL (i am not a lawyer) but recording for personal use (think of this as off the air taping) is probably not a problem, and last I looked, while TIVO annoys networks, it is currently legal. I would be happy if someone who knew more offered an informed opinion.

Quibbles aside, I'll post details whenI return home this evening.

It _would_ be an infringement in some cases. I don't make a habit of reading terms of use statements, but if you check the one on 'wolfgangs vault', any saving/copying other than automatic page caching of the player is expressley prohibited.

I'm not saying don't post your methods, just that the fines for copyright infringement are extraordinarily high (IIRC 150,000 per infringed title). You don't have to be a lawyer to have common sense.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-14, 10:16
There is a nifty, free Windows program called Screamer Radio that features built-in recording of internet radio streams. It comes with a bunch of station presets, but it's easy to add your own stations.

It does not do timer recording, but it can record continuously and save each track as a separate file. For some stations which include the info, it even correctly names the files for you.

Possibly the best way to use it is to simply hit the record button when you hear a song you like - even if the song is almost over, you'll get the full track, due to a large memory buffer.

www.screamer-radio.com

ericj
2006-02-16, 14:25
Let's avoid copyright discussions by stipulating that the goal here is not violations. After all, the technology of capturing streaming audio, is widely available, I was just remarking on how it could be used with slimserver in a tivo-like fashion.

So, how do you do it? This is not my idea, of course, and is cobbled from various on- line discussions, but my rudimentary script looks like this:
#!/bin/sh

mplayer -playlist "/media/bits/Playlists/WKCR real.m3u" -ao pcm:file=/media/bits/music/Broadcasts/wkcrstream.wav -vc dummy -vo null ;
lame -h /media/bits/music/Broadcasts/wkcrstream.wav /media/bits/music/Broadcasts/wkcr.mp3 ;
rm /media/bits/music/Broadcasts/wkcrstream.wav ;

I use crontab to start the script when needed, and use a crontab entry to kill the mplayer instance when the program is done.

I'm sure thatt there are many improvements possible including more graceful ways of closing mplayer, or piping the output to lame, but this works for me.

Enjoy