PDA

View Full Version : NAS to run slimserver?

pilotdude0807
2006-02-13, 14:57
I'm sure most folks use an old PC (kept on 24/7) to run slim server software but there was an interesting item in the FAQ about using a NAS. Does anyone have any experience running it on a NAS and which make/model specifically? I'm looking for a cheap setup as well. Thanks.

catdna
2006-02-13, 15:10
For a while I had slimserver running on a Buffalo Linkstation - it worked quite well, until something else wanted to access the drive and then I got all kinds of drop outs - also, the initial scan to create the database took *hours* to complete.

I suppose if all you want to do is run slimserver on it, then it should be fine (although a little pricey), just make sure that you don't want to do much 'rescanning' of the database !

CardinalFang
2006-02-13, 15:44
I suppose if all you want to do is run slimserver on it, then it should be fine (although a little pricey), just make sure that you don't want to do much 'rescanning' of the database !

How about running the server on a PC or Mac, but keeping the files on a NAS? What sort of data throughput do you need from the NAS to be able to keep up with the streaming? I know that some of the cheaper units run out of steam pretty quickly - is GigaBit ethernet a must for streaming lossless? Local disk storage is faster, but upgrading PSUs and adding fans to my existing PC is probably a non-starter. Can you use a crossover network cable on a NAS and have it as dedicated attached storage? Anyone tried that? So many questions...sorry! Especially if this is all on the Wiki or in the FAQ!

I eventually want to get a ReadyNAS or similar and carry on running the server code on a MacG4 or a PC. I'm hoping that by having both wired on a router and just the SB on wireless I won't end up with too much wireless traffic.

Paul

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-13, 15:54
Most people recommend the Infrant ReadyNAS devices
- and Infrant even provides a modded version of
SlimServer to run on it.

Pricey though. If you can stand the fan noise or
can hide it somewhere an old PC will be as good or
better, and certainly more flexible.

pilotdude0807 wrote:
> I'm sure most folks use an old PC (kept on 24/7) to
run slim server
> software but there was an interesting item in the
FAQ about using a
> NAS. Does anyone have any experience running it on
a NAS and which
> make/model specifically? I'm looking for a cheap
setup as well.
> Thanks.
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

catdna
2006-02-13, 17:05
How about running the server on a PC or Mac, but keeping the files on a NAS? What sort of data throughput do you need from the NAS to be able to keep up with the streaming? I know that some of the cheaper units run out of steam pretty quickly - is GigaBit ethernet a must for streaming lossless? Local disk storage is faster, but upgrading PSUs and adding fans to my existing PC is probably a non-starter. Can you use a crossover network cable on a NAS and have it as dedicated attached storage? Anyone tried that? So many questions...sorry! Especially if this is all on the Wiki or in the FAQ!

I eventually want to get a ReadyNAS or similar and carry on running the server code on a MacG4 or a PC. I'm hoping that by having both wired on a router and just the SB on wireless I won't end up with too much wireless traffic.

Paul

That's what I do now - I have all my music on the Buffalo Linkstation and a mini-itx box running slimserver. There's no problem playing music from the NAS through slimserver (then again I'm running a 100mb network).

However (and I feel this is a big problem) - I've found various issues with the latest (6.2.1?) version of slimserver :

1. Some Albums when scanned are missing the first track of the album (always seems to be the first or 'last few' tracks that are missing)

2. Some Albums are missing cover art (or incorrectly tagged in the database at least) - I understand that the trackid of an album track should bring back the coverart / thumb.jpg using the web interface. But the entries in the database are wrong.

Now, I'm not sure if these are problems with 6.2.1 slimserver **OR** running the slimserver against the NAS device (it does cause dropouts on random occasions which I can't seem to track down - i suppose it could be due to the disk powering down on the NAS at certain points - but I wouldn't expect that during a database rescan).

I don't know if this could be causing the inconsistencies in the slimserver database (although it seems unlikely).

Here's hoping 6.5 (or at least the next version will shed some light on these issues).

mawfin
2006-02-16, 05:41
I set up my father-in-law with a hacked Buffalo Linkstation (120GB MIPSEL version) running SlimServer and directly wired to the SB3. Worked perfectly although I agree with the previous comments regarding rescanning, and the Linkstation in this configuration is obviously a dedicated music server.

He was so moved by the experience, he then invested in another SB3 and a Netgear new wireless router (we could not get the SB3 to work with his old Belkin). He's now got the Linkstation wired into the router, and the two SB3s taking their streams wirelessly. Still no computer!

He did take my advice to get a cheaper external USB drive so we could back up all his FLAC files from the Linkstation.

larsth
2006-02-16, 06:56
I use a 300G gigabit Linkstation and have about 300 CDs ripped as FLAC files playing through a single SB2. I only use the Linkstation for slimserver 6.2.1 and it works fine.

Rescans (for new music) takes around 20-30mins, the web interface is a bit on the slow side but usable; the SB+remote works super with no delays and search results come instantly. I have never experienced dropouts either wired or wireless.

I am very satisfied with this solution as I have no noisy PC and it has a very limited power consumption (<20w).

aubuti
2006-02-16, 07:17
To rip all my CDs to flac I needed more storage anyway, so I went with a LinkStation HD-HG250. It's more expensive than a simple external USB or internal drive, but not that much more, and well worth it to me for being able to run slimserver. For a while I just used it to hold the music, and continued to run slimserver on an old Dell P3 running Ubuntu Linux. Last week I used the OpenLink firmware to hack the LinkStation and install slimserver.

I have seen lots of comments about rescans and the web interface being really slow when running slimserver on a LinkStation, but so far that hasn't been a problem for me. At this point my library is only about 3000 tracks, and I'm only driving one SB, so maybe the LinkStation will be more taxed as I add more tracks and more SBs -- we'll see.

One thing to note is that the "Gigabit" LinkStations (the HD-HG series) have more RAM (128MB) than the HD-H series (64MB). I believe the HD-HG series also has faster processors. There's more info on the LinkStation wiki:

http://linkstationwiki.org/Information/Information

-K

JJZolx
2006-02-16, 10:56

This is what I do. SlimServer is still running on my main PC, but all my music files are on an Infrant ReadyNAS. I also use the NAS for movie storage and for storing backups of networked computers. A 100 Mbps network connection works just fine. I'd guess that even 10 Mbps may work nearly as well. Certainly no need for gigabit Ethernet.

In retrospect, unless your music library is huge, there are no real advantages to using an NAS for storing your music library. The biggest disadvantage of an NAS is that file access speed will be slower than using local storage. While this has no effect on SlimServer playback, it _does_ affect things like library scanning time and the speed of Browse Music Folder. Also, if you edit or tag files directly on the NAS it will be slower than using local storage. If you edit and tag in a local, temporary folder, then moving those files to their final home on the NAS is much slower than it would be with local disk storage.

I calculate about 900 to 1000 CDs will fit on a typical $130 320GB hard drive, so for the typical music library, a single storage drive on the SlimServer machine, preferably with a (external) backup drive of the same capacity, makes much more sense.

Bruce Tucker
2006-02-19, 11:45
> To rip all my CDs to flac I needed more storage anyway, so I went with a
> LinkStation HD-HG250. It's more expensive than a simple external USB or
> internal drive, but not that much more, and well worth it to me for
> being able to run slimserver. For a while I just used it to hold the
> music, and continued to run slimserver on an old Dell P3 running Ubuntu
> Linux. Last week I used the OpenLink firmware to hack the LinkStation
> and install slimserver.

I'm tuning in late to this thread. I have a HD-H250 Linkstation, but I
didn't know that I could run slimserver. Can you point me to instructions
on how to do this?

Bruce

pablolie
2006-02-19, 13:22
...a Netgear SC-101 for the sole purpose of storing my MP3s, perhaps FLACs in the near future.

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/SC101.php

Never have had a single audio-drop out, and these days I rip CDs serially and listen to music on the SB3 and the Softsqueeze on the same computer -all concurrently- often. And right now doing this on top. Maybe I'll play Medal of Honor on top. :-)

The way the SC-101 works is that it sits on your LAN and looks like a normal hard drive to your computer, when in fact it's Ethernet accessible and provide for mirrored drives. You just pop in 2 drives of your choice, in my case 400GB Seagates. It means that the SqB accesses the tracks through your computer, though, for those who want to totally decentralize operations (which I would think requires a dedicated server, and not just NAS, though).

My SB3 has about a 75% quality wireless signal in average. Destop runs WinXPpro on an AMD Athlon 64-3000. 1G RAM. Pretty standard, except I have an internal RIAD for my everyday stuff, too (bad experiences).

The SC-101 works great, I put 2 Seagate 400G drives in there, and have lots of storage, peace of mind given they are mirrored drives (knowing how many things can go wrong with technology that may be naive!), and a very ribust and stable setup. Plus strict separation of my music library from anything else.

The read speed is quite decent, write speed is about 12Mbps in average, with faster bursts here and there (courtesy of buffering, I imagine), which means rip speed is not quite the scintillatingly fast experience I expected, but nevertheless very tolerable.

aubuti
2006-02-19, 13:31
I'm tuning in late to this thread. I have a HD-H250 Linkstation, but I didn't know that I could run slimserver. Can you point me to instructions on how to do this?
Bruce

Marc Field has written up a very nice set of directions at:

http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html

Other sources of information, files etc. are the LinkStation wiki and the LinkStation discussion group on Yahoo!

http://linkstationwiki.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/

If you search past threads in this forum you'll also find some useful information.

-Ken

Chris Kantarjiev
2006-02-20, 08:57
I've been running slimserver on a Linsys NSLU2, with the Unslung
firmware. Indexing is kind of slow, but other than that it works
pretty well - the box seems to stumble and fall over once in a while.

No floating point, so there are a bunch of formats I can't get
at - mostly an issue (for me) for Internet radio. (Anyone know
of a good integer-only conversion for WMA?)