PDA

View Full Version : Remote Looks Sloppy but Isn't!

Millwood
2006-02-12, 11:19
I was getting more and more unhappy with my remote. There were bubbles under the surface that I couldn't get out.

Then the light bulb lit up. It is shipped with a plastic protector which comes off!

Slim - you might change the design of the protective plastic so it has a tab sticking out - easier to remove and obviously meant to be removed.

Steve Lyde
2006-02-12, 11:28
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw my remote.

seanadams
2006-02-12, 11:39
Hadn't thought of a tab sticking off - not sure if it's possible because of the way they die-cut the overlay, but we'll look into it.

funkstar
2006-02-12, 13:02
i seem to have a nack for spotting those things. removing it was one of the first things i did when i recieved mine (that and smelling the lovely component smell that came wafting out of the packagind. mmmmmmm)

Kyle
2006-02-12, 13:56
i seem to have a nack for spotting those things. removing it was one of the first things i did when i recieved mine (that and smelling the lovely component smell that came wafting out of the packagind. mmmmmmm)
I love the smell of new electronics in the morning.

jmpage2
2006-02-12, 14:12
Actually the remote does a great job but it would be nice to see an update.

Something offered seperately which was backlit and offered direct access to commonly used functions and plugins (and upcoming Pandora stuff) would really be a nice differentiator and I think quite a few people would be willing to put some cash out there to acquire a more functional remote.

Just offer it for sale seperately.

EnochLight
2006-02-12, 21:42
I think it's called the Nokia 770. ;-)

Seriously though, it would be kind of cool for an actual Slim Devices backlit remote, something a bit more premium than the current one included.

rudholm
2006-02-12, 23:20
Yes, definitely. Please sell me a remote control with a backlight. I use my SB mostly in low light and I have to remember where the buttons are by feel.

radish
2006-02-13, 00:01
Why not just buy a decent third party remote? Then it will be (a) backlit (or whatever you prefer) and (b) able to control more than just the SB.

EnochLight
2006-02-13, 06:39
Yeah that's true; after I made that post I realize that if I don't pony up for a 770, I'll buy a decent universal that I can use for a plethora of other things too.

agentsmith
2006-02-13, 07:04
I knew it was a protector and was perfectly OK with it. In fact, I left it on as a permenant protector.

And the remote is perfectly OK to me, very decent for a product in this price range.

All and all, it is the best piece of electronics I have bought for a long long time, bar none, including the 43" Pioneer Plasma I just bought. Gorgeous TV, but it does not set me free like the SB2.

Ben
2006-02-13, 15:17
I was getting more and more unhappy with my remote. There were bubbles under the surface that I couldn't get out.

Then the light bulb lit up. It is shipped with a plastic protector which comes off!

Slim - you might change the design of the protective plastic so it has a tab sticking out - easier to remove and obviously meant to be removed.

Doh, I've had my box for a year and thought it was just a crummy sticker... :P

Ben

rudholm
2006-02-13, 17:10
Why not just buy a decent third party remote? Then it will be (a) backlit (or whatever you prefer) and (b) able to control more than just the SB.

I haven't really seen any that I like. And I don't need a remote that controls anything else in my bedroom. I have one of the Harman/Kardon learning remotes (looks to be Palm-based) but it's not that great, and since all the buttons are soft keys, you can't feel them. My A/V receiver's remote is backlit but I need that in the living room. I suppose I could find one with real buttons but I just haven't been impressed with what's available.

Got any that you recommend?

jth
2006-02-13, 17:32
My A/V receiver's remote is backlit but I need that in the living room. I suppose I could find one with real buttons but I just haven't been impressed with what's available.

I'm pretty happy with a one4all URC 8910 to control
Squeezebox. I got mine for about $20. It's huge and a bit
top heavy, and you'll need to reprogram some keys to match
the functionality of the slim devices remote.

radish
2006-02-13, 17:52
I haven't really seen any that I like. And I don't need a remote that controls anything else in my bedroom. I have one of the Harman/Kardon learning remotes (looks to be Palm-based) but it's not that great, and since all the buttons are soft keys, you can't feel them. My A/V receiver's remote is backlit but I need that in the living room. I suppose I could find one with real buttons but I just haven't been impressed with what's available.

Any of the Harmony models - hard and soft keys, ultra-easy setup, supports Squeezebox with a couple of mouse clicks.

EnochLight
2006-02-13, 21:11
..supports Squeezebox with a couple of mouse clicks.

How so? I'm considering a Harmony as well. Is there a pre-config'd setup for the Squeezebox?

Ben Sandee
2006-02-13, 21:38
On 2/13/06, EnochLight <EnochLight.237brb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> radish Wrote:
> > ..supports Squeezebox with a couple of mouse clicks.
>
> How so? I'm considering a Harmony as well. Is there a pre-config'd
> setup for the Squeezebox?

Yes, it's available as a device type. It works great.

Ben

EnochLight
2006-02-13, 22:35
Yes, it's available as a device type. It works great.

Ben

Oooo - good to know! Thanks!

Bart
2006-02-14, 10:15
Yes, definitely. Please sell me a remote control with a backlight. I use my SB mostly in low light and I have to remember where the buttons are by feel.
...not helped by the remote being almost symetrical, so you continually have to use the few small clues to make sure you are holding it the right way round

jonheal
2006-02-19, 05:21
I have two issues with the remote. First, I wish it had a "Stop" button. Most often, if I interrupt a song for whatever reason, when I return to listening, I just want to hear the song again. I know I can press "Pause" and then "rewind," but CD players have a Stop button. Why not the SqueezeBox? That irks me about iTunes, too

Second, although the glossy surface on the remote helps it relate, visually, to the glossy SB3, it gets trashed really fast. I take care my stuff, but all you have to do is press the buttons for a few weeks, and the glossy area around the button(s) dulls to form a cloudy halo. It looks yucky.

funkstar
2006-02-19, 05:45
CD players have a stop button because when you use Pause the disk is still spinning. If the SB/SS were to work the same way as a CD player the stop button would either 1) return you to the start of the current playlist (start of album for me usually) and to star again at the begining of the track you were playing you would need to skip forward a bunch of times, or 2) would stop the stream, clear the buffer and scrap your playlist. so you would need to cue up more music when you wanted to play again.

Think of it more like when you stop a cassette (remember them ;) ), when you pause an SB it's really just the same as that.

Richie
2006-02-19, 05:48
> I have two issues with the remote. First, I wish it had a "Stop" button.

I believe if you press and hold the pause button it does function as a
stop button.

Richard

jonheal
2006-02-19, 06:03
> I have two issues with the remote. First, I wish it had a "Stop" button.

I believe if you press and hold the pause button it does function as a
stop button.

Richard
GREAT! You're right!! Thanks!!!

Now, about that "glossy" remote ...

Craig, James (IT)
2006-02-23, 04:13
>
> Now, about that "glossy" remote ...
>

Isn't that just a protective sheet of plastic? It should peel off..

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

jonheal
2006-02-23, 05:28
>
> Now, about that "glossy" remote ...
>

Isn't that just a protective sheet of plastic? It should peel off..

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.
It is not the protective plastic film. I peeled that off long ago. The glossy surface is another thin sheet of plastic that is attached to the top surface of the remote. The problem is that the material is too soft to maintain glossiness in any area that is regularly touched, like around the buttons.

It ends up looking real crappy, and I don't think my fingertips are any more sandpaper-like than anyone else's.

Fifer
2006-02-23, 06:23
Does the SB3 have a different remote? I've got two remotes (SB1 and SB2), both heavily used and both look as good as new.

jonheal
2006-02-23, 06:33
Does the SB3 have a different remote? I've got two remotes (SB1 and SB2), both heavily used and both look as good as new.
I'll post a photo of the deterioration I'm talking about when I get home from work.

jonheal
2006-02-23, 14:16
Here's an image of the deterioration to the glossy finish on the remote around much used buttons.

Admittedly, this is subtle damage. You have to hold it at a certain angle to the light to see it, but it's there and I wish it wasn't.

Sean and company: I'd buy another remote from you if you'd replace the glossy finish with something more durable and with less sheen.

Kyle
2006-02-23, 14:29
It ends up looking real crappy, and I don't think my fingertips are any more sandpaper-like than anyone else's.

After seeing the picture of your remote, I think they are. ;)

radish
2006-02-23, 14:33
Are you sure it's not just dirt? I'd try a qtip and some alcohol.

jonheal
2006-02-23, 14:54
Are you sure it's not just dirt? I'd try a qtip and some alcohol.
Just to humor you, Radish, I got a Q-tip and cleaned around the button with alcohol. It's not dirt.

Kyle, take a close look at your own remote. Move it around in the light so you can see it from different angles. If yours doesn't show similar damage, I'll eat my sweatsocks!

JJZolx
2006-02-23, 18:04
Just to humor you, Radish, I got a Q-tip and cleaned around the button with alcohol. It's not dirt.

Kyle, take a close look at your own remote. Move it around in the light so you can see it from different angles. If yours doesn't show similar damage, I'll eat my sweatsocks!
My remotes have no such "damage". On the other hand, you should see my work and home computer keyboards...

When new, the keys have a textured, matte finish. After about a year, the home row, space bar, and arrow keys are worn shiny smooth and the lettering has begun to wear off of some of the keys. This, and what you're seeing with your Squeezebox remote are simply natural wear that is an inevitable result of handling and the natural acids that are present on our skin.

jonheal
2006-02-23, 18:40
My remotes have no such "damage". On the other hand, you should see my work and home computer keyboards...

When new, the keys have a textured, matte finish. After about a year, the home row, space bar, and arrow keys are worn shiny smooth and the lettering has begun to wear off of some of the keys. This, and what you're seeing with your Squeezebox remote are simply natural wear that is an inevitable result of handling and the natural acids that are present on our skin.
I understand and accept normal wear and tear. Some of my keyboard keys are getting a little smooth, too.

All I'm suggesting is that the sheet of glossy plastic attached to the face of the remote is particularly soft and prone to accelerated wear and tear. I have lots of remotes with tough matte finishes that show no such evidence of wear. You're just "asking for it" with glossy surfaces. Ask iPod Nano owners.

rick's cafe
2006-02-24, 06:55
Jon- if I recall from some of your previous posts you only got your SB3 in December.. I can see why you have issue with the degredation of the remote if that is how quickly it gets marked.. for whatit is worth I also got my SB3 in December but fortunatley my remote is still in good nick... but mine is the white version which appears less reflective than the black version.. bearing that in mind it could be specific to colour or as radish said it could be the 'sandpaper' effect!! ;-) if no new remote is forthcoming you could always try getting a manicure once a week to save the remote !! ;-)

jonheal
2006-02-24, 19:27
... if no new remote is forthcoming you could always try getting a manicure once a week to save the remote !! ;-)
No Way!!! I have them filed to such perfect little points!